ibs | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-19-2004, 10:34 PM
ibs

I have recently starting taking zelnorm for ibs and wondered if anyone knows why people with adhesoins should not take this medicine. I have been on it for a month and have had little relief. I still have pain in my lower left side and constipation. The gi doc I see has not been much help in this matter and I am concered that this medicine will make the adhesions worse. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2004, 12:36 AM
ibs

I haven't been taking zelnorm for my IBS, but I just looked into the product's FAQ and it does state that Adhesions and a history of Bowel Obstructions are contraindication to taking zelnorm. They also state that the need for surgery, specifically gall bladder surgery, is more frequent among women who have IBS and take zelnorm. I wonder if there is a correletion between all of those issues? That would be a good question to ask your doctor.

BTW, zelnorm is only approved for short term (12 weeks) therapy for IBS. The studies haven't been conducted for long-term use (which baffles me, since IBS is a chronic condition).

Have you mentionned to your doctor that the meds are not really doing much to relieve your IBS symptoms? There might something else available that will offer the relief you're looking for?

Sending lots of s your way. Hopefully, you're going to find something that helps very soon.
Unread 04-20-2004, 01:35 PM
ibs

I just talked to the gi doctor and he only said that the adhesions could cause the pain but keep taking the medicine. I am really starting to down in the dumps because no one can give me a straight answer. If it is know that this medicine causes bowel obstruction why would he suggest to keep taking it? I have already had massive amounts of adhesions removed and my gyn refuses to do anymore surgery. Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2004, 02:13 PM
maybe you should tell you gyn

Maybe you should tell you gyn that your gi doc put you on this med. if it does say it causes adhesions then your gyn may object to you taking it. I always try to keep all my drs in the loop when I am put on any new meds.
Sending
lol

Jeni
Unread 04-20-2004, 02:17 PM
ibs

Are you sure its IBS? IBS and other diseases such as Endo mimmick each other. I only ask because you said the treatment isn't working to help the pain and a lot of women with IBS end up with Endo.

Take care of yourself,
Unread 04-20-2004, 02:49 PM
Well...

I understand why it's frustrating not to have an answer. It would make me crazy too.

Maybe you could call the pharmacist and ask. I would try that.

I can't see how this drug would CAUSE adhesions. They aren't formed that way. I also don't see how it would cause a blockage...but in that area I'm not as sure about how it would work.

The only thing I could think of is it wouldn't help the pain any if you had adheions and/or blockages. I have both of those and the idea of taking something that potentially causes diarehia (how do you spell that???) sounds horrific to me! OUCH!

I would call the GYN and ask quesions.

And hun, the reason the GYN doesn't want to do more surgery for the adhesions is because it will most likely just cause more or the same, and potentially be more painful than what you have now.

You've got a good question (and one I've wondered about when I've seen the commercial for Zelnorm) and I'm sorry you aren't getting a clear answer.

Rita
Unread 04-20-2004, 10:06 PM
ibs

I have been trying to get in touch with my gyn but no luck yet. I did call my pharmacist and he said the medicine can cause bowel obstructions due to the adhesions. I had my tah 2 years ago and I feel in worse shape now than before. I am not sure about the ibs. I had a colonoscopy last year and was told it was diverticulosis. I went back to the gi doc for the same pain and he is telling me it is ibs. It would be so nice if one these doc had a straight answer. Do you ever feel like no one listens to you? Thanks for all of your answers and support.
Unread 04-21-2004, 05:40 AM
I think drs have tone deafness

I think threy hear what they want and tone out the rest. I have on several occasions wanted to ask them to repeat to me what i just said.... Sometimes I feel like i go in with one proglem and they dxs another Or they just explain it of...

There are times that I feel like he isn't lisening at all. I want to grab his face and say look at me I am your patient not that stinking chart....*punch*

Nah really my is all in all pretty good he just drives me to pull my :hair: out at times. I think they are all that way. and with thier patient load you can't hardly blame them...

Try to make a longer appt with your doctor so maybe he will have some time to shed light on your problems.

Take care.
Jeni

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register