TAH Surgery is tomorrow (Wed) I am panicking | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH Surgery is tomorrow (Wed) I am panicking TAH Surgery is tomorrow (Wed) I am panicking

Unread 04-20-2004, 03:10 AM
TAH Surgery is tomorrow (Wed) I am panicking

I have abdominal pain, bloating, indigestion and an elevated CA125. My doctor is going to do exploratory surgery and do a TAH. I'd like as much information as possible about what to expect and any advise on what I should know and what to ask my doctor. At what point is a bone marrow biopsy is indicated and wondering if I could ask the doctor to do this while I am under general anaesthetic. Also, I have pain all over my body which is nerve pain. I would like to know if bone cancer can be widespread throughout my skeleton and would like a bone biopsy done. Does anyone out there know anything about these topics? Please give any information you can. I am panicking now.
Thank you,

Teresa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2004, 10:10 AM
Never Waste a Good Panic

My favorite words--don't panic until you have to. Are you haviing a gynecologic oncologist do your surgery? One should be or at least be standing by if anything looking like cancer is found. I doubt they'll do a bone marrow test at that time. I haven't heard of this--they would if a bone test showed problems but not regularly. You can certainly express your concerns to your doctor and see what he or she suggests.
Unread 04-20-2004, 10:32 AM

Dear Teresa,
As ((Margaret 321)) said, do express your concerns to your doctor(s) I am a little confused -- does the doctor suspect bone cancer, or is this a fear that you have which so far you have not communicated to the doctor? Also, have the doctors determined the cause of the widespread nerve pain?

My heart goes out to you. I don't have any answers, just a big and an to watch over you.

Love,
=empresse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2004, 12:21 PM
too soon to get really freaked.

Did you have any ct scans, biopsies, bone scans? Other than the symptoms and the elevated CA125, you are having the surgery because???? First, until they go in and look around, no one knows what is going on inside. If it is cancer, you will discover through the pathology report what it is. Hopefully, a gyn/onc will be on hand for the surgery (at least on call) so that when the preliminary path report comes back, (during surgery) the onc will be able to take over and do all the looking, prodding, biopsies, etc. If needed!! That way, you will know clearly what the stage is.

For now, it would seem that you are having this surgery to make sure, if there is anything going on that needs to come out.. it will be taken care of. Go with a positive attitude and plan for a great outcome. If they find something that needs further follow up, you will take the next step for that. It's hard to relax, but if you remind yourself there's just nothing you can do about any of it until you know what you are dealing with, and then, only then can you plan your attack. Best wishes..
Unread 04-20-2004, 02:52 PM

Hi Teresa

Great advice and comfort from everyone.

This has been said many many times on this board but it really is soo soo important......Make sure that an oncologist/gynocologist is doing your surgery. They are the only experts in this field and know exactly what to look for and how to treat it.

I am sending lots of good wishes your way for a speedy recovery.

Rosalie
Unread 04-20-2004, 03:13 PM
TAH is tomorrow I am panicking

Rosalie,

I live in England which really complicates matters. I am having an OB/GYN doctor do the surgery. There is no gyn/oncologist to attend the surgery. I am going to a 16 bed private hospital which is a general ward. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a gyn/oncologist.

I have had widespread pain for a long time. I have a ruptured disk in my neck and have had a spinal fusion for a fractured vertabra in my lower back, that I may have been born with, or it could have happened when my daughter was born. I have had a CT Scan of the head which showed abnormal bone growth in my skull. Here in England the doctors said this growth was "normal" I have face pain and terrible headaches. I went to America where a doctor there said I have a bone disease. Here in England the doctors didn't agree and have diagnosed me as having somatization disorder. When I sent an bone scan to this American doctor he said that the scan indicated I had several areas of increased density in my skeleton which could be due to minute fractures, infection, or metastese. Again the doctors here said the scan was normal. It is a nightmare. The reason I would like a bone biopsy is because this would give me the answer. I have not spoken to the GYN doctor about this yet. I have to be careful because the doctors all stick together and won't undermine the ones before even though it is morally wrong. I have to think long and hard about how to approach him with this.
Unread 04-20-2004, 03:23 PM

Oh Teresa.....my heart goes out to you.

This is just too much pain for one person to bear.

I guess that those of us living in the states are very lucky to have soo many options and wonderful doctors available to us.

I am just curious...do you know what your ca125 number was?

Keep in touch.
Rosalie
Unread 04-20-2004, 03:26 PM
TAH Tomorrow (WED)

Rosalie, Josie11553, Margaret321 & Empresse

I just responded to Rosalie in the previous thread, but I kind of jumbled everyone's responses together.
Basically, I suspect bone cancer because of all of the nerve pain. I have had abnormal EMGs which have been reported as normal, but while it was being done, I was told there were problems. I don't fully understand why this is happening. I do know I have to approach the doctor in a way in which he will take my concerns seriously and for him to probe further to rule out bone cancer. Any suggestions?

I do appreciate your support.

Thank you

Teresa1
Unread 04-20-2004, 03:29 PM
TAH

Rosalie,

It is 135.

Mary
Unread 04-20-2004, 03:39 PM
TAH Tomorrow (WED)

Josie1153

How important is it for the preliminary path report to be done during surgery? I am just thinking there may not be anyone on hand because it is such a small hospital in the country!

Teresa1

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register