TAH Surgery is tomorrow (Wed) I am panicking - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH Surgery is tomorrow (Wed) I am panicking TAH Surgery is tomorrow (Wed) I am panicking

Unread 04-28-2004, 12:47 PM
TAH Rosalie

Rosalie,

Thank you for the support.

There is not a laboratory at the hospital I had the surgery. I don't know if the doctor obtained a small tissue sample for biopsy, but he removed everything there was, so I expect it will all be checked. Can you describe in detail what a frozen section is?

Teresa 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2004, 11:06 AM
No Cancer!

I had a TAH last Wednesday. The results of the biopsies show No Cancer!! My doctor said that the CA125 can be elevated with ovarian cysts. My CA125 was 135. Doctor said the blood test will not be repeated for several months.

Does this make sense? Should I be relieved or is there a possibility that I still have cancer somewhere else in my body?
Any information or advise is appreciated.

Teresa1
Unread 04-30-2004, 11:27 AM
TAH Surgery is tomorrow (Wed) I am panicking

Dear Teresa,

Praise the Lord! So glad that they didn't find any cancer.

As far as cancer elsewhere is concerned, did you have any CT scans or other sort of tests before your surgery? That would have indicated problems in certain areas, if there were any.

I guess the best thing, if you want more certainty, is to talk to the Dr and ask. They may be able to do other tests if you feel uneasy. They may also be able to tell, from knowing the paths that cancer takes, whether there's any cause for concern at all.

Anyway, it can't hurt to ask.

Blessings.
Marlene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Hiya

I think you should just be very relieved. If the biopsies say 'no cancer' then you have 'no cancer'! One thing that puzzles me is why he took out the ommentum? He must have been expecting to find something?? If you are worried just ask for a CAT scan to be done. For now just recover well from your operation.

Take care
Sheila
Unread 04-30-2004, 12:26 PM

Dear Teresa,

Congratulations on your good pathology report!

Last year I was diagnosed with a large ovarian tumour via an ultrasound scan. My CA125 was 80. I was referred to a gyn/onc who told me that there was a 25% to 30% chance of it being cancerous. I had a LSO and the pathology came back "broad ligament adenomyoma" - no malignancy. I had another CA125 after surgery. It had gone down to 9. I have had regular follow up checks since then, with repeat CA2125 tests. This is at least in part because my tumour was a very rare one and therefore difficult to predict.

In March my CA125 went up to 306: it was measured during an emergency visit to the hospital when I was in pain and bleeding. An ultrasound scan showed no abnormality in the remaining ovary or anywhere in the pelvis other than a thickened endometrium with some abnormal vascularity. Two weeks later my CA125 had gone down to 124. I am currently booked for a D&C and hysteroscopy on 24th. May to rule out endometrial cancer. I am quite sure my CA125 will be measured again after surgery and for quite some time to come.

I am telling you all this because I too am British and being treated on the NHS: I thought you might find it useful to know what someone else's treatment protocol was like.

In conclusion, if I were you I would want to be followed up reasonably regularly by a gyn/onc as long as I had an abnormally high CA125. (Normal is between 0 and 35.) It is certainly true that the CA125 can be elevated by benign conditions, but it can also be elevated by cancer. I expect to have my CA125 and other tumour markers regularly checked for quite some time to come, and to have other diagnostic procedures as necessary.

I hope this helps.

Jane.
Unread 04-30-2004, 01:39 PM

Hi Teresa,

Congratulations on a clean report.

There are lots of things that can raise your ca125 number.
Being that it is higher than normal (35 or under), I would ask the doctor to check it again. Labs do make mistakes also.

Rosalie
Unread 05-02-2004, 04:55 AM
TAH

Marl,

I will speak to the doctor a week on Monday when I see him for a post-op check. Thank you

teresa 1
Unread 05-02-2004, 05:14 AM
TAH

SheilaUK & Rosalie

I am very relieved with the good results. Still that CA125 elevation keeps niggling in the back of my mind. Dr. said he would not repeat the CA125 for several months. I didn't ask him why. Does anyone know what the rationale is behind not rechecking the CA125 for several months? I had surgery only 11 days ago.

Teresa 1
Unread 05-02-2004, 05:23 AM
TAH

Latina,

How often are your regular followup checks? i.e. Was a gyn/onc. the first consultant you saw? I have a postop. check with my gynecologist. Would you recommend that I ask to be referred to a gyn/onc? Or, should I ask my G.P. I don't understand why my gynecologist doesn't want to check my CA125 for several months. I will ask him, his rationale behind this. Do you have any literature that advises more frequent checks of the the CA125?
What other tumour markers are you being tested for?
I am glad that you wrote me. It is very helpful to hear from a fellow Brit. who knows the protocal. If there are any other U.K. residents that have had cancer concerns? I would appreciate any info.

Thanks
Teresa1
Unread 05-02-2004, 05:25 AM
TAH

Latina,

How soon after your LSO was your CA125 checked?

Teresa1

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register