Had Chemo #8 Yesterday and it wasn't normal for me. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had Chemo #8 Yesterday and it wasn't normal for me. Had Chemo #8 Yesterday and it wasn't normal for me.

Unread 04-20-2004, 06:52 AM
Had Chemo #8 Yesterday and it wasn't normal for me.

Yesterday I had my 8th cycle of Taxotere and Carboplatin.I have never had any immediate adverse reactions to either one except some slight nausea twice. Yesterday I received the Taxotere which I am maxed out on and was fine. Halfway through the Carboplatin, which my doctor is trying to max out by my final treatment next month, I got up and walked to the bathroom and became very hot and flushed, my face and neck were red as beets. My heart starting racing and I was beginning to itch. I went back to bed and called the nurse. By the time she came in my feet and hands were itching like crazy, they felt like when you go outside in the cold and they freeze and you go back inside and when they warm up they get hot and itchy, thats exactly what they felt like. She got me a cold rag for my face and was not concerned at all. I started to feel better aand when my Carboplatin was completed I left. My hands and feet were driving me nuts though. That lasted for a few hours and I had some swelling in the hands and feet but all has resolved today. Has this happened to anyone else? It really scared me. I just hope I am not beginning to become allergic to Carbo. I have looked it up on the internet but could find no adverse affects like that.

Thanks,
Bertha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2004, 10:07 AM
Bertha--it WAS a reaction to Carbo

I was on my 16th carbo last fall and I began to itch--within under a minute I was red and itching and burning all over. By then I had the nurse there and she had shut off the carbo while another RN went for one of the doctors. This is a classic reaction to the carbo. They kept the carbo off, gave me a fast-acting steroid injection and Benadryl, monitored breathing, blood oxygen and blood pressure for a while, made me stay for a while, and then did the rest of the carbo the next week with dexamethasozone the night before and the day of chemo plus the injectible benacryl and fast-acting steroid again and watched carefully. I've had a tad of itching here and there and was a bit flushed once--but no more problems.
Unread 04-20-2004, 11:20 AM

Thanks so much. Maybe mine wasn't so bad because I had Dexamethasone and Benadryl 1 hr before my chemo. I was rather disappointed the nurse didn't seem to care. She never even took my vital signs, just gave me a cold rag and said it was ok. I will tell my gyne/onc when I go for my next appointment.

Thanks,
Bertha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2004, 02:54 PM
Bertha, DO tell the Dr.

My doctor and the nurses said this is the start of the classic reaction to a drug and I forgot I had to get oxygen too--this can progress into full blown anaphylactic shock but they've never seen it happen as they've stopped it. Let the Dr. know what all happened and whta the nurse did because they should've done a lot more.
Unread 04-20-2004, 06:28 PM

Bertha

Margaret is so right.

Half-way through my last Carbo, I began to feel very hot. My face and ears got very red (so they tell me). The chemo nurse immediately stopped the infusion, turned on the emergency call light, and got out the emergency cart. The doctor came in and checked my lungs and the nurses hooked me up oxygen and monitored my vital signs. They stayed with me for about 20 minutes until they were sure I was OK.

Since this was my last chemo, my doctor and I elected not to give me any more.

Please tell your doctor about your reaction and the nurses actions or inactions.

's

Ruth S
Unread 04-20-2004, 06:49 PM

I will call my doctor in the morning. I knew something was going on. Thanks for your responses. I will let you know what she says.

Bertha

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register