"The Swan" anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Review It!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

"The Swan" anyone? "The Swan" anyone?

Unread 04-21-2004, 08:17 AM
"The Swan" anyone?

Is anyone watching the new makeover reality series "The Swan"?
I watch it but of course feel guilty watching it, since it only makes me want to take out a $150K loan and have my body totally redone--ridiculous since i'm a 4XL fluffy goddess.

There is huge controversy over this show-some are really upset about it and some say, hey go for it.

I'd like to see more women of color and also Plus sized women on the show.

Fluffy Lemur
Always a Glamour "Don't", and part time Drag Queen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2004, 07:06 PM
"The Swan" anyone?

Switching channels I caught part of it once, my DD was watching also, and we agreed it sends a horrible message..., but I guess it has a weird fascination to it. I wouldn't have any surgery I didn't absolutely have to have, but that's just me.

Marta
Unread 04-24-2004, 05:30 PM
"The Swan" anyone?

I saw it, and thought it was ridiculous. Course I also think it is a shame that these people have to have all kinds of surgery and what not in order to feel better about themselves.

I too think it sends a negative message out to folks young n old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2004, 05:48 PM
"The Swan" anyone?

You know, I saw this while visiting relatives. It broke my heart. I mean it, it just hurt to see that (( these women )) felt so badly about themselves and believed that surgery to alter their looks was the answer.
And the pros looked like vultures to me, feeding on these vulnerable women. Maybe they really mean well, maybe not. I suppose that is irrelevant in the big picture.

This probably sounds like an over reaction to some but to me it indicates some pretty troubling problems exist within our society and our gender.

We may have come a long way, but we've got along way to go, baby.
Unread 04-24-2004, 05:55 PM
Thumbs up - "The Swan" anyone? "The Swan"

I have mixed emotions about it. I had horribly disfigured teeth as a child. Didn't have them fixed until I was 25 and went through jaw surgery and the whole nine yards. I know what it feels like to go home everyday in tears from the horrible names I was called (Bucky Beaver) and was a little over weight back then too and called beached whale. I would have done it in a heart beat. I also fought years of anorexia due to all the teasing in my life. So, on that hand if someone else is willing to foot the bill to make them feel (counseling as well) like a million bucks, more power to them. Unless you have been there like myself and felt the pain they are it is hard to understand where they are coming from. I think it is awsome that these dr are willing to help people out for free. Not many of those people out there these days. I don't believe that they make these women feel like they are the ugliest people on earth, just willing to help them gain some self love and respect of themselves. Just my .02 cents!

allycat
Unread 04-24-2004, 06:07 PM
"The Swan" anyone?

Hi Alleycat, I can see your point. I'm sorry that you had to deal with so much cruelty about your smile. People can be mean, mean mean! I wish we could fix THAT instead, wouldn't that be great?

The episode I saw was nothing like your case. There were two women who both got nose jobs, though neither had a bad nose to begin with. They got liposuction on their faces & throats. I think they got new smiles, too. There was liposuction on hips & derrieres etc, too, I believe.
They both got breast augmentation and tummy tucks. One gal had a terribly saggy belly from childbirth but that was the only dramatic thing either of them had to deal with. It just seemed so weird to take these two average looking women and "perfect" them. I mean it, they were just normal looking before. It seemed clear that they had personal issues that made them see themselves as ugly when they just weren't. Know what I mean?

I definitely see your point, it's just that I don't think what you had to deal with was the same thing as what these women were going through. There wasn't any disfigurment. They just looked like anyone. It really was so sad.

(( Alleycat)), I am so sorry for what you went through! I'm sorry if my post was insensitive. You are right to point out that there are always two sides to everything! Thanks!
Unread 04-24-2004, 06:20 PM
The Swan

Please don't apologize. There are times I think If I could afford to have some of those things done I would. I get upset sometimes going to the gym everyday and still having cellulite on the backs of my thighs. I work way to hard and still have it. I guess we just live in a society that is never quite pleased with anything. Shame on us. I should be thankful for every breath I take! When I finally had surgery on my jaw everyone back home thought I had had a face lift. My own father did not know me. I was living in Texas at the time. I wore braces 10 years before they figured out that no length of time in braces was going to correct my problem. I was under the knife for 6 hours and they also fixed my chin as well. No one knew me back home. The best thing I ever did.

allycat1964
Unread 04-24-2004, 06:27 PM
"The Swan" anyone?

Hey alleycat.

I'm glad it worked out well for you & that you feel so much better!
You made me think of something I heard on the radio today. An advertisement for a new tv show about undertakers, I think. Anyway, the guy said "Anyday you're above ground, you're ahead of the game!" You're right, I guess we should try to focus on the truly important things in life and appreciate what we have.
I know what you mean, though. There are times I wish I could change some things too. Probably many of us feel that way at times. But fixing a serious problem, like you did, & me getting that full bustline I sometimes dream of are two different things!
Unread 04-25-2004, 06:03 PM
Unhappy - "The Swan" anyone? The Swan

If there is a thing as reincarnation, I want to come back as a beautiful, busty, blonde. I want a waistline. I want firm thighs. I want a flat tummy. And yeah, whenever I watch a show like that I think "yeah, I could go for that".

Plastic surgery is great to correct serious flaws. I had a large scar on my forehead from a childhood accident. When I was a teen, I had plastic surgery two years in a row. The scar is quite minimized. I still wear bangs, but don't feel self conscious like I used to.

I worry that all this plastic surgery is "upping the bar" on what is beautiful and what isn't. Anyone watch the original "people, not animated" Cinderella lately? It stared Lesley Ann Warren, who I thought was a knockout when I was a teen and she was on Mission Impossible (the TV series, not the movie). Well, we watched it a few years ago and I thought -- LOOK at her TEETH. She NEEDS braces. I shudder to think what I'd decide she looks like today. Awhile ago I decided the kids of today when they become adults will be able to decide the socio-economic background of another of their peers by only one thing: their smile (if uncorrected, then obviously not upper class or middle class). Soon we'll have to add breasts that are too small/too large, flabby tummies, nonliposuctioned thighs, etc.
Unread 04-26-2004, 07:51 AM
"The Swan" anyone?

An interesting read, is "Autobiography of a FACe" written by woman who was disfigured as a child due to multiple cancer surgeries.

It's a pretty deep story, and the sad sad thing is, she committed suicide last year, finally.

Fluffy Lemur

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register