"The Swan" anyone? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Review It!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

"The Swan" anyone? "The Swan" anyone?

Unread 04-27-2004, 08:25 AM
"The Swan" anyone?

I just think this show send the wrong message out.. I mean look within yourself there lies the real beauty.. I am also a plus size woman. There are alot of things I wish I could change about my appearance, but I will do it without the help of plastic surgeons..
Besides I think I am a pretty great person aside from all the FLUFF!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2004, 09:24 AM
"The Swan" anyone?

I've watched it a couple of times. I agree - I think it sends out the wrong message. It's sad that we put so much focus on outside appearance. I wish people would focus more on the inside, that's where the real beauty comes from if you're a good, loving, and kind person.
All of those women on the show have such low self esteems, but I don't see how the "show" is really helping. I mean think about it - they're told, and it is announced to the world, how ugly they are. The show is reinforcing these womens opionins about themselves, and telling them their "ugly ducklings."
Just because you are skinny and have "so called" perfect features and long flowing hair - doesn't mean your a beautiful person. Again - it's inside that counts!!
I couldn't imagine going through all of that and looking in the mirror and seeing a totally different person. It seems like you loose some of yourself with this process. I just think it's sad!!

Tracie
Unread 04-28-2004, 05:00 AM
"The Swan" anyone?

I like Extreme Makeovers the best. Didn't care for The Swan as I felt it carried an inappropriate message as well. I didn't like the fact that the first show I watched the two ladies were not allowed to see themselves until they were in front of millions of veiwers. I also didn't like the beauty contest thing. The women I saw were not bad looking if they would have combed their hair and dabbed on a bit of make-up.

I like EM because they take people that have a story about why they want a make-over and then are totally unexpecting when they find out they are getting one. Some of them have a real need to have the surgery due to defects, ect. I don't see many on there that are just having surgery for the heck of it. There usually is a very good reason as to why they are getting surgery done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2004, 08:13 AM
when is the on?

My sister also speaks of this show. What day of the week is it on?

allycat
Unread 04-29-2004, 10:20 PM
"The Swan" anyone?

"The Swan" is on at 9:00 on Fox Mondays. I am hooked on it. It's sick, I know, but I am fascinated with the process of improving a person so totally. I like that they're getting therapy, although they probably would be better off if that's all they got. It's sad to think these people are so unhappy and blame their bodies for their unhappiness. But I wonder about one thing...they get all this radical surgery, so painful they want to DIE, and then they get into an extreme exercise routine! How is this possible? And a 1200 calorie diet while exercising many hours a day can't really be healthy, can it? Whatever happened to the days when a "makeover" was a lesson in how to use makeup?
Unread 04-30-2004, 01:08 PM
"The Swan" anyone?

I didn't like the Swan because I didn't think the women in question were truely ugly or disfigured before surgery. Not at all what was advertised. It was less like baby swans (rather ugly looking) into swans than ducks (ordinarly looking, some even good looking) into swans. It could have been a true miracle if they took some truely disfigured women and made them beautiful. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.

The Swan was definately in the "not worth watching" department, but there are worse ones out there. The show that makes me naseated is the one where people get surgery to look like a certain movie star or singer.
Unread 05-18-2004, 09:28 PM
"The Swan" anyone?

This show is driving me nuts!! The only reason I watch it is because there's nothing else on during that time slot that I want to see.

What's driving me crazy isn't the makeovers or anything, it's the dad-blamed dramatics involved!!! The music, the long pauses between announcements, etc. are driving me crazy! For heaven's sake, this isn't the Miss Universe pagent! Just announce the winner and get on with the show.

Whew , glad I got that out of my system! (What happened to Extreme Makeover? I haven't seen it in months! I liked it a lot better, it was much more down-to-earth and not so cheesy!)
Unread 05-18-2004, 10:04 PM
"The Swan" anyone?

I'm with you! Those long dramatic pauses are like:
What drives me nuts is how they give you an instant replay after every commercial. I mean, really, what a waste of time! And I like the show so much that I forgot to watch it last night.
Unread 05-19-2004, 08:16 AM
"The Swan" anyone?

Sashi--
thank you for saying that!!!!! I CAN:T STAND that
and........the.........winner..................is..........................

Fluffy Lemur
Unread 05-20-2004, 07:40 AM
"The Swan" anyone?

Hello

I've been overweight most of my life, and not considered a "beauty". Fortunately, no disfigurement, but ALOT of perciless teasing and cruelty.

However, with the declining moral health of this country, I think they should come up with a "series" about "making over" peoples' character and morals, instead of boobs and noses. If someone wants to make themselves better they should look INSIDE and look to improve their character and intelligence. Doing volunteer work, seeking hobbies, and taking classes are just a few suggestions--much less $$$ than plastic surgery, too.

Of course, I'm also very compassionate to the disfigured person seeking "normalcy". I think if I had a mastectomy, I would go for the breast reconstruction. That's a little different than "adding on" to what God has given me(and that's not much, believe me!!!)

Just my opinion. Thanks for "listening".

:nose:

-endo, fibroids, PAIN, PAIN, PAIN
-TAH/SBO 8/7/03
-V V F repair 3/10/04
-leaking again!! 5/04

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register