hanging out | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-21-2004, 08:53 AM
hanging out

Hi ladies,
I'm four months post-op from a radical hysterectomy. I was diagnosed with Cervical Cancer in November 03. I had to have 28 days of radiation therapy after the hysterectomy just for good measure. About two weeks into the radiation, I began experiencing bladder spasms, which I guess was normal since my bladder was being zapped along with the tumor bed. Two weeks after the radiation was over, I was still experiencing the bladder spasms so my doctor put me on Detrol LA. That is working very well for me, but now (and I really don't know how to say this) I feel like I have tissue that is falling out or hanging down (told you I didn't know how to say it) further than it should be from the inside. It's not really painiful or anything, just annoying and kind of worrying me. I will be seeing my doctor the first week in May, but just wondered if anyone else has had this hanging out feeling.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2004, 06:52 PM
hanging out

No, I haven't experience anything like this, sonni41. I had 28 days of external radiation along with 3 internal treatments.

I'm so happy to hear that your radiation is over. Do you think you should wait till the first week of May to talk to your doctor about what you're experiencing? I just don't recall reading anything about what you've described happening as a result of radiation.

Let us know how you're doing.

Best,
Unread 04-22-2004, 07:25 AM
hanging out

I saw the radiation oncology doctor yesterday afternoon. He didn't seem to know what was causing it either. Although he had never had radiation cause anything like this. It's not like it's hanging out really far or anything, just different than it used to be before the surgery. So unless it gets worse, I will go ahead and wait to see my surgeon. So how did your radiation go? Did you have any bladder problems? Thank you so much for responding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2004, 11:34 AM
hanging out

Sonni,
Did the rad/onc do an exam and look at the tissue? Is it hanging from your vagina? Or where? I have no idea what it could be. Dead tissue? Scar tissue?

I had radiation, 25 external and 1 long, 3 day internal. I had bladder problems towards the end but they ended after the internal radiation, thank goodness. The bladder problems were among the worst because I had to get up so frequently during the night. I never felt rested. It was awful. So I sure hope they can fix your problems with the bladder.

What kind of cervical cancer did you have? What was the stage?

Janie
Unread 04-22-2004, 02:29 PM
hanging out

Janie,
no he didn't do an examination. I guess I should have had him do one. I guess protruding might be a better way to describe it. It's not visible just looking at the outside or anything. I can just feel it like there is tissue at the entrance where there wasn't before. I'm not really good at describing it. I'm wondering if it may be caused from the atrophy?? I've got a pretty good case of that going on. My bladder problems were pretty bad during the radiation and even two weeks after it was over. The Detrol works great. Cervical Cancer 1B1.

Thanks for listening
Sonni
Unread 04-22-2004, 06:08 PM
hanging out

It sounds like maybe a prolapse where the bladder falls. Maybe you should call the doctor. I don't think a prolapse is an emergency but you might want to find out what it is and let the doctor decide how urgent it is.
Unread 04-23-2004, 07:31 AM
hanging out

Thank you for the info. I will call my doctor. Anyone had a prolapse like this? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

sonni41
Unread 05-06-2004, 07:29 AM
hanging out

Hey sisters,
Saw my doctor yesterday. He said the hanging down feeling is my pelvis relaxing and starting to drop a little (since I don't have anything in there to hold it up anymore). He said it will probably get worse gradually with time, but at this point since it isn't causing me any pain or problems when peeing or having sex, not to worry about it. He suggested kegal exercises to stengthen the muscles. When and if the time comes when it really starts to bother me then we will talk about a pessary or sugery to correct it. He did a pelvic exam and a pap and aside from some radiation differences and a little granulation...everything looks great. He did do a biopsy of my vaginal wall just to be safe. I'll get the results in a couple of weeks. I'm still on the Detrol LA. I've got a couple more weeks worth of them then I think I'll try going off of them and see how things go...or hopefully don't go go go...hee hee. All in all I'm feeling much better about everything. I can live with the little stuff. Thanks for reading and responding. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

sonni
TAH/BSO cervical cancer 1B1
Unread 05-06-2004, 07:31 AM
hanging out

Sonni -- Thanks for the update! Best wishes =empresse

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register