Scar Tissue Issue | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scar Tissue Issue Scar Tissue Issue

Unread 04-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Scar Tissue Issue

Hello ladies,
I'm a little more than 5 months post op and I've having issues with scar tissue. Since I've been feeling better, I've been more active but according to my body, being active is NOT a good thing. My primary doctor said the more active I am (bending, stretching, lifting, scrubbing, etc.) the more I stretch and even tear my scar tissue. I've had a lot of pain and it feels like I'm at square one again.
My GYN says the only thing that may help is to have surgery to remove it.

My questions are:
- Have any of you had issues with scar tissue? If so, how did you deal with it?
-How long will this last? I've wasted enough time being sick -- I'm ready to boogie!!
-Has anyone had surgery for scar tissue and if so, did it help at all?

Dazed and confused,
Freedom 35
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2004, 05:43 PM
Scar Tissue Issue

There are some great resources about adhesions that you may find helpful: Adhesions Resources

Here are also some other threads where adhesions were discussed:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ight=adhesions

Hope this is helpful.

S
Unread 04-22-2004, 08:04 AM
Scar Tissue Issue

Thanks so much, Lynn Mary.
The information was helpful. I have an appointment with my GYN on Monday, so at least now I have some information to go into the visit with.

Thanks again!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2004, 08:23 AM
Scar Tissue Issue

Freedom35:

This one I can address from personal experience. I have had pain from adhesions. Just had some removed in January via a laparoscopy. I had a large one that ran from just under my naval to the left round ligament and a bunch tying my left ovary to the pelvic side wall. And some in the bladder area. I had bladder complications for a couple of months after my hyst, but they resolved. I had severe pain with ovulation which is what led me to have the lap.

Since the lap, I have some cyclical pain, but its not nearly as bad as it was before the lap. So, I'm OK. I have gotten into a routine now for pain management. When it first comes on, I take a couple of NSAIDs, lay down with a heating pad for at least 20 minutes and relax. Usually in the 20 minutes the pain resolves and I am able to go on.

I am quite physically active with taking care of my horse (that's Widget in the picture). I am raking and scooping a stall twice a day. My arms have never looked better! I work full time, am raising a family, do volunteer work for scouts and I am helping my husband with his campaign for a local political office. So, it is possible to lead an active life.

I started a low dose of zoloft about a month and a half ago and that has helped me to cope with stress which has helped me to better deal with any pain that arises.

I hope you are soon PM me if I can help you further!!!

Unread 04-22-2004, 09:19 AM
Scar Tissue Issue

Hi Michelle,
Thanks so much for sharing your story. I'm so eager to get on with my life and never feel that nagging, pulling pain again. We did try Elavil, which did an OK job at masking the pain to a point, but when the pain got bad, it was bad. I had to stop taking Elavil because I gained 40 pounds in a matter of months.

It sounds like the surgery did help you. I will defintetly take your story into consideration before I see my GYN on Monday. The last time I saw him, he really wanted to try the lap to remove the scar tissue. I just hate the idea of surgery again. It may be my only way out.

By the way, Widget is beautiful!!! Gosh, it must be wonderful to feel so energetic and be able to care for your horse.
I pray for the day I feel as good as you do.

Thanks again for sharing! I so appreciate it!
Unread 04-22-2004, 09:48 AM
Scar Tissue Issue

HI,
ZSorry to hear about your pain. I have been there. Infact the last 2 months have been so hard, pain all the time that has gotten worse. I go in again on May 11th. I ahd a partial hyst in 2000. Then I was good until last year. Then in August I had my ovaries removed and also scar tissue. They were going to do a lap(tiny incisions) but because of all the scar tissue I would have been in surgery for over 12 hours so they cut me open from side to side. Then I was good until about 2 months ago when the pain was ok but got worse. So I had to go see my dr and then had to have an ultrasound, and then back to the dr. She said there is a mass in there that we need to check for cancer, but there is a lot of adheisons back also. So they are going to use my same incision, get out the mass and test it and also get rid of the adhesions, and then use interceed to try and prevent them from forming again. I am so nervous but if it will help then I am all for another surgery. I can not stand the pain anymore. I have kids 11,8,1 the last one adopted at 5 days old. I just want to beable to play with her and go for walks with out hurting all the time. SO good luck to you and I just thought I would let you know you are not by yourself. Take Care.
Unread 04-22-2004, 10:48 AM
Scar Tissue Issue

Well, thanks, I think Widget is beautiful, too, but I am biased, of course.

Did want to mention that my lap was on a Monday morning and I was back to work Friday afternoon - just to open mail, read e-mail, etc. - a light day. I went in to see my doc that Friday morning and told him I needed a work release and he said OK, when and I said "today" and he said "today? Well, OK".

So, its surgery, but, hopefully you will have great results (if you decide to do it) and will not be down too long. Oh, and Widget did stay with a friend for two weeks starting the day before the surgery, so I was taking it very easy for a couple of weeks.

Best wishes with whatever you decide is right for you.
Unread 04-22-2004, 01:38 PM
Scar Tissue Issue

Hi Heather Sue,
Wow. I'm sorry to hear about your journey. You've really been through a lot and you deserve to be pain free and active with your children. I only have two cats who are very picky about their litter pan. I can't imagine what it must be like to have small children and be in pain.

I guess the best thing we can do is to stay positive, keep coming to hystersisters for support, and listen to our doctors. I do appreciate reading about your journey. It feels good to know that I'm not a total nut job and that someone can empathize and sympathize with me.

I will definitely keep you in my prayers. Hopefully, the mass will be negative and you can run around with your children very soon.

Stay in touch and if you're still feeling nervous, please feel free to PM anytime.

Take care of yourself!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register