Hi sisters | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-21-2004, 01:44 PM
Hi sisters

I need some encouragment... I am in alot of pain today and finding it hard to keep going. I have tried calling my dr to see if he would call in some muscle relaxers to help with the pain pills only to be left waiting. He has not bothered to call me back.

I am trying really hard to stick to our four pills a day, but I am telling you it is hard when the pain is keeping you from functioning. I really can't wait to start pain mgnt. So that on days like today I will have someone to call that will care. (at least I hope that is how it will work)

I know that my sister can relate to me so that is why I am here. My dh says that I should be just fine. And that four is to many... Well, I guess if they worked they would be but maybe that is the problem. I have tried to tell him that I think i have built a tolerance to them (which we all know can happen) they just don't seem to relieve the pain. Agian that is where I am hoping that pain mgnt will come in but that doesnt' come until May 14. Just pray for me to be strong and keep my chin up.

Thanks
lol
Jeni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2004, 02:56 PM
Hi sisters

Hi Jeni,

s

I just posed on another thread - it seems like many of us are dealing with pain today. I'm praying for you - hope you will be feeling better soon.

Unread 04-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Hi sisters

It stinks doesn't it? I'm sorry you are hurting so much and not getting relief. --- I have to say that on a scale of 1-10 my pain isn't that high, so I don't have that to deal with, --- but it does seem to be constant, and I find it wearing, tiring....... I've found that a soak in a hot tub helps--- (I don't have a jaccuzzi, I mean just a normal tub, but really hot water...)

It is relaxing and the heat is soothing.
Maybe that would help for you?
sending you some s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2004, 08:09 AM
Hi sisters

Hi Jeni

I'm sorry you are having such a rough time. I too am waiting for my pain clinic appt. Mine is next Friday, and none too soon. My doctor gave me Celebrex for the pain - it's a non steroidal anti inflammatory and it works quite well, but the trouble is, it has started to bother my stomach, so most days I just suffer through without it. You may very well have built up a tolerance to your pain drugs, I know T3's do very little for me anymore. Please don't take more than what's prescribed though, you don't want to do yourself more harm. Keep calling your doctor's office - every half hour if you have to, until you get an answer. Remember, the squeeky wheel gets the oil.
We are always here for you. I will keep you in my prayers, and we can wait for our pain dates together!! I'll let you know how mine goes next Friday.
Hang in there dear sister. You will make it. We are strong.
Great big 's
Shelley
Unread 04-22-2004, 08:44 AM
Hi sisters

Jeni:

So sorry to hear this! I keep hoping as you do that life will become easier for you, that your pain will be less. Do you suspect a muscle spasm? Is that why you are asking for a muscle relaxant?

You know I'm not a doctor, just a sister who understands how frustrating unresolved chronic pain can be. Through lots of trial and error, I found what has worked for me. Surprisingly its stuff that doesn't require a prescription. I DO have my doctor's blessing though. I don't make any changes without asking for his buy in.

Here's the routine. As soon as pain hits, I inform my family that I am in pain and will be resting for awhile. I take 2 naproxen sodiums (over the counter NSAIDs). Lay down with a heating pad for at least 20 minutes (alternating pelvic and lower back areas about evenly, but depending on what seems to be working). The NSAIDs reduce swelling and the heat does as well, but also relaxes my muscles. This doesn't guarantee 100% pain relief, but it does at least lessen the pain and many times resolves it fully.

I seem to recall that you are not on NSAIDs of any kind and my completely nonqualified opinion is that it seems odd. Inflammation is the culprit of many health problems and it seems to me that an NSAID (Rx or OTC) would be in order as part of your pain management (by your GYN, you shouldn't need a PM for this). I encourage you to ask your GYN as NSAIDs are nonaddictive. Inquiring about them as a possible part of your pain management is totally reasonable and rational.

Lots of luv and hugs and prayers for you, my dear!!!
Unread 04-22-2004, 02:04 PM
Dear Michelle

I do take Bextra 20 mgs once daily but I truly haven't noticed a difference So I don't know if I can take naproxen but I will check with my dr. Thank you so much for your advice.

You have been through so much and to open your heart for others is such a wonderful thing. I will definetly try your suggestion.

Today has been terrible I finally did give in and called the dr and said you have got to help me. He said he was calling me something in. We will see.
I will keep you updated.
LOL
Jeni
Unread 04-22-2004, 04:31 PM
Hi sisters

Jeni,

Just want to send you a big I understand your fustration, my pain has been fairly bad the last 24 to 48 hours (I can't take my pain meds because they make me to foggy at work, and I can't take NSAID's because of barrlets syndrome) so I am left to suffer unless I want to take off of work.

I sure hope we both find some pain releif soon. I am glad to hear that your doctor called something in for you to help with your pain.

Kim
Unread 04-23-2004, 10:01 AM
Hi sisters

Bextra is a cox-2 inhibitor that works like the non-steroidals, except that it doesn't hurt your stomach - for that reason docs often are more likely to prescribe it for chronic pain. (Those of you suffering and can't take nsaids - think about this!!)

But, Jeni -

It doesn't work for everyone, and there are several other cox-2 drugs to try. Also, interestingly, the dosage for menstrual cramps, which I would assume is pain "similar" to pelvic pain, is 20 mg TWICE daily. You might ask your doc about upping the dose of this medication, until you get to the pain clinic, especially if s/he is uncomfortable with additional narcotics, etc.

Bextra is completely non-addictive, althogh it does need to be taken every day to work. There are some side effects, but geez it's only 3 weeks til your pain visit, so it's worth asking.

Dorrie
Unread 04-23-2004, 06:14 PM
Dorrie

((((Dorrie)))
I have asked the dr about uping the dose to two a day and he said once a day was plenty.... But this is also the man who said he would not call me in a muscle relaxer then today when i went to pick up my regular med the pharmacist asked if I was ever coming in to pick up this script that the dr called in last week. Now he told me he wouldn't call anything in.. Talk about confused.
Anyway I am just glad I took the first one and it was instant relief....
I really can't wait for pain clinic to start . I just hope I am not setting my standards to high.
Thank you for all you thoughts and prayers
lol
Jeni

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register