When are you considered in remission - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When are you considered in remission When are you considered in remission

Unread 04-24-2004, 11:16 PM
When are you considered in remission

Jules,
What pathology report had your rad/onc gotten when he said that? What follow up tests had he ordered that showed your great results? What test results was he looking at?

I see my rad/onc in June and she hasn't told me to get any followup tests done. What tests did you have before you saw the rad/onc?

Congratulations on all the great reports!!!! I want the same thing!!!!

Thanks!
Janie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2004, 01:04 AM

My radiologist was just looking at my surgery and path. reports. I think ordinarily he would have done an internal exam as his more common follow-up after radiation treatment, but since I'd just had surgery a week before, he couldn't. He admitted there really wasn't much point in seeing me at that time, so his staff must have just scheduled it as a routine thing. They did ask me the usual questions about how I was doing with my radiation after-effects, but since almost none, it was a pretty fast appt.
Unread 04-25-2004, 09:53 PM

The only test I have had was the pap 2 weeks ago, I have had internal exams every visit. I alternate visits between my GYN/ONC and my Radiation/ONC. I see one at 3 months and then I'll see the other 3 months later. I thought I had strep throat last week, so I went to see my GP. It was negative, however I did find out that my WBC was a little low. They told me if I start running a fever that I need to come right back. Do you have any idea how long it takes for our counts to rebound? I started getting a sinus headache today. I think my sytem is still to weak to fight off anything I'm exposed to. I also hear of others having the CA125 done. Is this also a test that they do for cervical cancer? Sorry, I'm full of questions tonight. Thanks for the replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2004, 01:00 AM

My WBC and all the other stuff they checked for before administering chemo each week were always within normal range, so no one ever talked to me about how long it would take to build levels up again. And I don't think CA125 is something they test in relation to cervical cancer, because that was never mentioned to me either.
Unread 04-26-2004, 09:34 PM

Deb,
Why do you see the rad/onc? What does he/she do? I see the gyn/onc every three months and my rad/onc said that I only need to see her once a year since I am seeing the gyn/onc. To be honest, I don't want to see the rad/onc instead of the gyn/onc because the former is not a gynocologist and is not as experienced at seeing gynocological cancer recurrences. She's experienced at treating cancers AFTER the gyn/onc has found them, so I would rather see the gyn/onc. What's the reason we see the radiation oncologist? Is he/she just checking on the effects of the radiation, or what? Does your rad/onc to a pap smear, internal exam, rectal exam, and lymph node exam like the gyn/onc does? I guess I am asking, why see the rad/onc for a 3 month check up rather than the gyn/onc ?

The CA125 test is a marker for ovarian cancer, not cervical cancer.

How low did your blood counts go when you were in treatment? I can't imagine that it would take longer than a month or so for counts to come back up, unless yours were totally wiped out. Even then I would think that they would be back up by now. My counts went down during chemo, but never got that low to delay chemo. 'When you were on chemo, did you have the shots to build your counts back up when they got too low? I never had to have those, but my friend with breast cancer had the shot, and it didn't take long to work. Her counts came up pretty quickly.

I hope this helps,
Janie
Unread 04-27-2004, 12:16 AM

Janie, I believe that the reason I still see my Rad/ONC is to make sure I don't have scarring or problems resulting from the radiation. He did a pap, pelvic and rectal at my visit. This was the first one I have had done since my surgery in Aug. The way it was explained to me was that I would not have a pap done until 3 months after I had finished my internal radiation treatments, which was in November. So when I went to my last appt in January with my Gyn/Onc it had only been 2 months. They told me to let my Rad/Onc know that I needed to have a pap at his visit. I think that from here on out for the next couple years I will have one every 3 months. So when I go to my Gyn/Onc appt in July, I will have another pap. I thought that seeing both doctors was a normal process. I guess it depends on the doctor. I know that my 2 doc's work close together with each other.
As for the Blood count. I pretty much botttomed out after my fifth session of chemo. My WBC dropped to 0.9. I did have to have the Neupogen injections. That brought my counts up in the norms and I was able to have my last session 2 weeks later. I had never had my counts tested again until my visit last week to my GP. I know that I have felt really worn out for about a month. I thought that maybe my iron count was low, but it was in the norms. At work today I had a few people ask me if I was OK. They said I looked sick. I think that I might be getting a sinus infection. I'm not sure my body has what it needs to fight it. I may call my GYN/ONC and see what he says.
Thanks for listening!
Unread 04-27-2004, 01:00 AM

If your counts are borderline, you need to be calling your doctor about a possible sinus infection. They're hard to treat at best, and he may have some ideas about what to do. I'd be on the phone to him in the morning, right away; if you have ANY fever tonight, you MUST call tonight (going to ER isn't always a good idea; lots of "bugs" on the waiting room; if you DO ever need to go, let them know that your counts are VERY low, and it buys you a trip out of the waiting room in a hurry -- at least, it should! ).

I'd call both your PCP AND the oncologist, and just see who gets back to you faster, first thing. I hope you can get treatment QUICK for this thing, before it has a chance to really knock you for a loop; if friends (who are usually oblivious) are noticing something, you've GOT to take care of it...

Big, non-contagious s!

Audrey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register