endometrial ablation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

endometrial ablation endometrial ablation

Unread 04-22-2004, 10:48 AM
endometrial ablation

Recently had endometrial ablation in February 2004 along with a Tubal Ligation. I had it because of many fibroids, heavy bleeding, severe cramping. The doctor told me there was only a 60% it would work. I went for my 2nd post OP visit last Thur. and told him I was still have cramping, heavy periods and he did a Vag. Ultrasound and discovered I have Blood in my Fallopian Tubes and I am scheduled for a TAH next Wed. 28th. Wondered if anyone else has had this procedure and if so what kind of results did you have??? Thank You!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2004, 11:45 AM
endometrial ablation

Hi

Welcome to HysterSisters! There is tons of info, advice, support, and s when you need them!

I'm not sure which procedure you're asking about - the endometrial ablation or the TAH. There are many many members who have had the EA with varying success rates. As for the TAH - I had a TAH 2 years ago and had a textbook surgery and recovery.

Everyone is different and has different results from any type of medical procedure.

Read and research as much as possible to help you get ready for surgery.

Check out the PreOp Hints and Articles (click here) PostOp Articles (click here) and Princess Stories (click here) for information and answers to help you get ready for surgery and what to expect after surgery. There is also an awesome resource link directory you can get to by clicking here or click Resources at the top of each page.

You may want to check out the Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives Board (click here) at the top there is a great list with links to all kinds of alternatives. On that forum you can find out more info about EA also.

Also please be sure to read the info New Here? which can also be accessed from the top of every screen, for important information to help you get the most out of this site.

Best wishes!
Unread 04-22-2004, 11:47 AM
endometrial ablation

I had the ablation done and it worked great. My flow diminished a lot. I still have a lot of spotting but no longer flooding. I too am having a TAH because of pain but am glad that in the meantime I had the ablation done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2004, 07:10 PM
endometrial ablation

I am so sorry you are having problems.

I had endometrial ablation 3 years ago, and it worked like a charm ! I was 47, went into menopause. I had no more bleeding, no more cramps ! No more lower back pain. No more sleeping with heating pad.

However, with menopause comes the symptoms. I experienced trouble sleeping & bad mood swings. My gyno put me on HRT. I felt great ! My life ran so smoothly !

But, it was too good to be true, at least for me. Last October, I started having breakthrough bleeding, while taking HRT. They could not determine the source of my bleeding - I couldn't have a D&C because my uterine lining was too thin. Based on my history (which you can read in the Journals), I decided to just have it all taken out. My surgery is scheduled for next Friday, 4/30.

I was happy my endometrial ablation bought me some time. My gyno felt it was the right thing at the time, and it might take me through menopause. He almost got it right. I am now 50, and will have it all taken out.

However, I had to go off HRT, and I am miserable !!! It's not the hot flashes, altho I have them. It is the other stuff. The cramping, the mood swings and the feeling of just wanting to sleep about 500 hours a week !

My heart goes out to you. It was worth a try for you. It did work for me. But I believe my TAH will be the best for me and trust I will feel better soon !
Terri
Unread 04-22-2004, 07:26 PM
endometrial ablation

I had an ablation done about four years ago. It really helped my heavy periods and cramping for several years. About six months ago it seemed to "wear off" and DR said it was time for the TAH. I'm two weeks post op, growing stronger every day!
Unread 04-22-2004, 11:07 PM
endometrial ablation

I had an Endometrial Ablation in Nov 2002. I was having horrible cramps & bleeding at the time. The DR I saw refused to do a hyst & the ablation was the only procedure he would perform (even though I had a tubal in '96 & had no intentions of having more children).

Needless to say, the ablation didn't do anything for me. I still had really horrible periods & they lasted 7 days or more (not normal for me b/c they used to be 5 days). I still had cramping & when the opportunity came to change DRs I did.

The DR I returned to in June 2003 was given all of my records from the previous DR. We discussed what he did & she never once ruled out a hyst as a possible solution. I kept having really bad periods & in Nov 2003 (1 yr later), I was scheduled for a hyst.

I now have my life back w/o those embarrassing "accidents" to mess up my days. No more cramps so bad that I had to call into work. I am a much happier person!
Unread 04-22-2004, 11:30 PM
endometrial ablation

A lot of times doctors won't do hysterectomy first because they know what insurance co. will say...NO....we had to exhaust all other options before doing the hyster....Dumb ins. companies...if they would go ahead and approve hyster in the first place they would not be out all that $$$$

I had ablation done in 2000...if worked wonderful for a while...but 4 years an ablation and 2 D & C's later I finally have the finality of no more problems with bleeding...at least from one place...
Unread 04-23-2004, 06:33 AM
endometrial ablation

Quote:
Originally posted by oktxks
A lot of times doctors won't do hysterectomy first because they know what insurance co. will say...NO....we had to exhaust all other options before doing the hyster....Dumb ins. companies...if they would go ahead and approve hyster in the first place they would not be out all that $$$$
I have never worked for an insurance company, and I never plan to, but in their defense - if you read your agreement with them they have the right to be sure that elective surgery, such as a hyst, is the last medical treatment that there is. Unless cancer is suspected a hyst is elective surgery. If it was entirely the bottom line they were worried about, they would say yes to every hyst before any other treatments were tried. The fact is they do get blamed for unnecessary hysts, some hysterectomy opponents say they are too quick to give the ok because they are worried about the bottom line and saying yes saves them money.

There is concern that in the past way too many unnecessary hysts were being performed without giving alternatives any thought at all. The medical community came under fire for that, and it can be said that the insurance companies are responding to that by making sure that a hyst is the last alternative.

Check out this thread, scroll down all the way to the post by ojazz for the other side of the coin. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ight=insurance

Best wishes

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register