My Rising CA125 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My Rising CA125 My Rising CA125

Unread 04-23-2004, 02:26 PM
My Rising CA125

My Ca 125 has been steadily rising since Feb. It was 5 more or less for a year then went to 13, to 19, and now is 26. I saw my oncologist today and he has ordered another CT scan in 2 weeks. He said he will evaluate that scan against the abd pain I am having. Then I go to my gyn/onc in 4 weeks for another CA 125, exam, and decision about what to do if the count is still up, the abd pain continues, & if the CT scan shows something.

This disease sure has a lot of ifs, waits, & unknowns. I feel I am in really good hands with both my doctors. But I really have periods where I think I could go nuts with all this.

I have read and my onc agrees that there are 2 approaches to treating a recurrance: wait until a tumor is large encough to cause real problems or treat at the 1st sign of recurrance. My doctor and I agreed that if this is indeed a recurrance, we would begin some chemo right away.

If it weren't for chemo side effects, I would prefer chemo daily forever to keep those pesky ovarian cancer cells away.

Well, that is my battle plan for April and May. Thanks for listening.

Ruth S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2004, 02:55 PM
My Rising CA125

s Ruth

I am so sorry to read of your rising ca 125 and abdominal discomfort. DARN!!!!!
Hopefully your CT scan will look good and your ca 125 show a drop next month.
But if not, I am with you all the way. Get that treatment started.
And look for another dance with NED.
To wait for tumors to show or more symptoms to appear sounds too much like palliative care to me.
Go for it my friend, if need be, and push the beast back again!!!

karenann
Unread 04-23-2004, 03:28 PM
My Rising CA125

I am sorry for the rise and all the unknowns in this horrible disease. I hope your numbers go down next month. Could you ask for a combination PET/CT? It is supposed to be the most precise test available
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2004, 04:49 PM
Darn!

I do think your doctors are taking a good approach to this. I'd second the idea of a CT/PET. They seem to be really super good. Maybe this is one of those odd glitches again--let's hope. Ellen
Unread 04-23-2004, 06:07 PM
My Rising CA125

OHHH Ruth,

How I wish you lived closer to me so that you could come over for coffee and we could compare our numbers!!!!

I know, first hand, exactly how you feel because this is always happening to me. However, as long as my number stays under the normal mark, no one seems concerned except for me. The last time I went to the oncologist, which was in the beginning of April, she told me that in addition to watching the number ups and downs, they also look for patterns in the numbers.

I just wanted to give you some idea of my numbers over the past 2 years. April 18th was my 2 year hysterversary.

Right after surgery but before chemo my number was 454 . This was April 2002

After first treatment................... 42
After second treatment...............22
After third treatment...................18
After fourth treatment.................17
After fifth treatment.....................14
After sixth treatment...................11 (which became my baseline #)

December 2002, 3 months after finishing chemo #9
February 2003................................................... #12
June 2003...........................................................#34
Had a cat scan and all was normal
June 2003 (recheck)............................................25
June 2003 (another recheck)...............................23
October 2003.......................................................9 (wow)
January 2004......................................................20
April 2004 (my most recent) ..............................25

Does my number jump around???? OH YES IT DOES

As Ellen would say, and I quote "NEVER WASTE A GOOD PANIC".

Please feel free to email me whenever.
Rosalie
Unread 04-23-2004, 06:14 PM
My Rising CA125

Ruth,

When I finished chemo # 9 for me, February of this year, and then 3 weeks later, had a CA 125 test, my level came back at 44. That is 9 points beyond the 'magic' number of 35.

As Shepherdpal says they are all "unknowns". Have I had cancerhead? You bet! Do I wonder whether my Ca # has increased? Oh, yes. I will get a new Ca 125 test next month. Until then, and during then, and beyond then, I have a life to live.

My point to this is that your 26 is under that 35 mark. I truly believe that - at least in my case - stress could only negatively impact it. I refuse to let that 'beast' - in my case 'stress' over rule me. As a foreign woman here, and often being 'threatened with that" as married to a Bahamian, I certainly experienced stress, from certain sources, in this country over the past 9 years. Amen to that one! Yeah, stressed out in The Bahamas, as plenty of us, including my American colleagues, have been.

So, Ruth, what I hope that I am saying to you is to remember that you are 'bigger' than stress and cancer.

I probably have not said this right, but my heart is with you.

big
Unread 04-23-2004, 06:24 PM
My Rising CA125

Well, it sounds like you're being watched like a hawk! I like your doctor's attitude, too.

And that's what my gyn described to me about how cancer is being treated these days. She indicated that this could very well happen (i.e., creeping CA125) and if it does, they'll treat accordingly.

Fight the good fight, Ruth. We're with you all the way!
Unread 04-23-2004, 10:44 PM
My Rising CA125

Ruth,
Thinking of you and praying that your number will fall back down. It sounds like you have good doctors and that they are watching you closely. Take care, Ruth.

Rhonda
Unread 04-24-2004, 06:37 AM
Hi

I wish you luck but please make sure you have a CAT/PET scan not just a CAT scan. I find the CA125 tests rather confusing. Mine is 4 at the moment but my gyn/onc says the next one will more than likely be slightly higher but that he wouldnt get concerned until it hit 30. It was 35 when i was diagnosed with ov ca. Yours is still very low. I hope it will stay that way.

Take care
Sheila
Unread 04-24-2004, 08:01 AM
My Rising CA125

Ruth,

That CT/PET sounds like a good thing.

I'm glad that you and your DR form such an aggressive team--that's great. Hopefully the numbers aren't indicating any real problem or recurrence, but if any cancer is trying to get re-established, it sounds like you'll kick it out on its butt and fast.

Prayers and best wishes are flying from here in the Northeast to you in the Midwest....here they come!

Blessings.
Marlene

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register