My Rising CA125 - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My Rising CA125 My Rising CA125

Unread 04-24-2004, 01:44 PM
My Rising CA125

Ruth,

If when and how to treat is a complicated thing. I've found this article from the Johns Hopkins Pathology site to be informative. Apparently, some docs think waiting a bit until there is some symptom (like something on a CT) along with the rise in CA125 is better because of the possibility of resistent disease. The argument goes something like the longer between chemos the more likely it is to work.

I'm not enough of a rocket scientist to evaluate the argument, but it's not clear that waiting is always a bad thing (although my gut would tell me to jump for treatment)

http://ovariancancer.jhmi.edu/recurrentqa.cfm

http://ovariancancer.jhmi.edu/treatm...currentdisease

Dorrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2004, 02:48 PM
My Rising CA125

Thanks everyone for the support.

I have read much on OC. First layman's books, then nursing books (I'm a nurse), now I have medical texts (those used by practicing physicians). After the first course of chemo, the actual numbers of the CA 125 don't matter. It's the continual upward swing which signals a recurrance. My numbers on a graph show a definite upward swing. My onc agrees. ( He said he studied from the text I quoted).

My onc said that a PET scan will only help if the malignant cells are in a cluster over 2 cm. He feels a CT scan is much more accurate at this point and less expensive. I plan to ask my gyn/onc his feelings about PET scans when I see him next month.

Thanks for all your concern and help. I have some decisions to make with the help of my medical team.

's

Ruth S
Unread 04-25-2004, 01:31 AM
My Rising CA125

Dear Ruth,

I am so sorry that you're having to deal with all this uncertainty. I hope Rosalie's example of her number jumping might help give you some comfort. Maybe your number, like hers, will go back down. Can you up the exercise for a while? Make some dietary changes (temporarily) just to see if they can push your number back down? I don't know if it will work, but it's worth a try. How about supplements? Again, they might not work, but . . . they might. Who knows?

A young girl walked into my young adults support group meeting earlier this week. She was 30, and had been misdiagnosed seven times before finally being diagnosed with Stage 4 stomach cancer. There is an ulcer on the tumor and it has spread, so they can't do surgery. She is doing 24-hour chemo, but it does not look promising. She cried and cried. All I could do was encourage her and give her a hug.

I feel that each of us here is so very blessed. We may have different battles to fight over time, but hopefully, those battles will be few. Right now, we are all here surviving and thriving and enjoying life. And what a blessing that is.

Please keep us posted on what your doctors find. I really hope your number goes back down. I did ask my doctor if I could just continue on low-dose chemo forever, and he said no, as the returns would lessen over time, and the damage to my system is not inconsequential. Sigh.

s!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2004, 06:52 AM
thinking of you

Dear Ruth,
Thank you for the update. I've been thinking of, especially since your last post.
Let us know about your ct results. You are a great lady and so supportive. Know that you have that support in return.
Negative ct wishes are with you. s
Unread 04-26-2004, 06:56 AM
My Rising CA125

I am so sorry that you are having this worry about the rising CA125. I do hope it turns out to be a blip and goes down again. If not, it sounds as though you have a very good medical team who will be able to help you make the best possible treatment decisions for a long and healthy future. I wish you all the best.
Unread 04-26-2004, 05:24 PM
My Rising CA125

The CA125 test can be very scary - prior to my surgery my test came back at over 1200. When the Doctor gave me the results I thought he was reading it incorrectly! I had a suspicious 13 cm complex tumour on my right ovary.

However, when I had my surgery they only found a very small mass (the rest of the tumour was endometriosis - which was in both ovaries) - that turned out to be a boarderline low malignancy tumour (no chemo required).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register