Pet/ct | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-23-2004, 03:47 PM
Pet/ct

I had a combined PET CT scan today. I have had CT scan and PET scans seperately but this is the first time combined and it is supposed to reduce the chance of false positives, be the most precise diagnostic tese available. I won;t get the results untuil next week and it is scary, but I will keep busy with other things.
For those of you who asked about this his tests. It takes about 90 minutes. You must have nothing but water the day of the test and it was recommended that you have no strenuos exercise
and limitcarbs day before. I went skiing, had ice cream, but only one scoop, and the Dr was not pleased, but said itnprobably didn't affect the test.
There is no contrast to drink, but you are injected with radio active sugar. Cancer cells feed on sugar and the PET scan measure where there is high metabolic activity as teh radi active sugar is in the body. After the injection you have to sit in a dark room for an hour, because they want your brain waves to be quiet as possible.
the machine is like an MRI tunnel like thing, but I was in only to my eyes, so i could see. It took 25 minutes in the machine. The test is not bad,. The hard part is waiting for rhe life changing results, that have such an effect on us and those who love us. Nothing but faith helps during such times, Faith is stronger
than fear of the unknown
keeps lifting us up when life's winds knocks us down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2004, 04:14 PM
Pet/ct

s Debbie

You will be in my thoughts this coming week as you await the good results. I know what you mean about just continuing to live as you wait for results. You always display great courage along with your faith. Doing what needs to be done in spite of great fear!!

karenann
Unread 04-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Pet/ct

I will be praying for only good results. You are true on the faith being stronger than the fear of the unknown. Just place it in the hands of the Lord, and he will help you thru it.

Best wishes and take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2004, 04:52 PM
Good Results Only

You're only allowed to have good results! Did you say NO contrast. Gee, they have one of thse machines where I go... I know a PET is no picnic but this is the best test out there. May you be healthy. Ellen
Unread 04-23-2004, 06:07 PM
Pet/ct

Debbie
Waiting is so hard. I'm praying you ge an excellent report. Thanks for explaining what a PET Scan is like.

Ruth S
Unread 04-23-2004, 06:12 PM
Pet/ct

Wishing you all good results on your pet scan.

My friends husband has had pet scans but he had non hodgkins lymphoma. Not one of my doctors ever suggested it for ovarian cancer. I am not sure if I would even want it. Possibly opening up a whole other can of worms is scary. I am a real whimp!!

Rosalie
Unread 04-23-2004, 06:14 PM
Pet/ct

My cousin just had a PET scan and she had great results. (This is the one who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer.) The doctors saw a few "areas of concern" on her CT scan on her lungs, liver and adrenal glands (how scary is that?!) and with the PET, they were able to determine that none of the areas was cancer.

You're in my prayers, Debbie, that you get similar results.

You know, so many times, during the last year, I'd say well, it's all in God's hands. Then I would laugh when I'd be reminded that I'm always in God's hands... not just when I'm undergoing a test!

God bless,
Unread 04-23-2004, 07:25 PM
Pet/ct

Hi Debbie,

I hope your results will be OK. I know how the anxiety can drive you crazy. I went for a PET scan in March (had my surgery in January but decided against chemo for now). The scan showed light activity at my incision and where they put needle for morphine drip in my back, also activity in right pelvis (both ovaries removed) and where largest tumour was removed from uterus to rectum. My onc recommended that I have a comparative scan in three months (June) to see if the activity increases. The incision and back activity he says are from surgical healing -he believes the rest is cancer. But to be sure the comparative scan will give us a better idea, at that point I will decide about chemo. But my doctor says even if the scan shows no increase, it will never show one cancer cell -it only shows clusters. All this waiting and insecurity drives me nuts. I had my CA125 on Tuesday and have to go see him next Tuesday (the 27th). I'm starting to worry about that one cancer cell...this disease is getting the best of me. First the pain, then the surgery, now the unknown. Chemo scares me the most (reason why I'm not doing it). I want to be 100% sure I need it ....but I can never seem to get that 100%. Well, I hope everything turns out OK for you. Keep us posted.
Unread 04-23-2004, 08:09 PM
Pet/ct

Wishing you good results and thinking of you during your waiting time. I know waiting is pretty tough but keep good thoughts!!!

Thank you for explaining so nicely about the test - I will be having a CT scan in the near future (first one) and it's good to know about CT and PET scans.

Keep strong and please let us know how everything turns out.

Thinking of you!!! Big
Unread 04-24-2004, 02:53 AM
Pet/ct

Dear Debbie,

This post will be a great one for the archives and help many who are awaiting similar tests.

You will be in my prayers as you go through this very difficult time of waiting: may the results be completely clear.

Jane.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register