surgical biopsy yesterday, rad damage? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgical biopsy yesterday, rad damage? surgical biopsy yesterday, rad damage?

Unread 04-23-2004, 03:54 PM
surgical biopsy yesterday, rad damage?

Hi ladies,
Yesterday was a first for me, less done than expected and not drugged out for 2 weeks as normal. Went in to have a 2 cm "spot" removed from my vagina and the doc just did a bio. Not complaining mind you, it is gardening time. You know you have had too much done when you are laughing in the pre-op room. Think hubby and I ticked off some people that were "newbie's". They probably thought I was getting something fun done, like bigger boobs. Stayed awake till I got into the OR, another first. Not as interesting as I thought it would be and it seemed to bug the nurses that I was still awake.
Anyway, he just took a sample of the offening area, said it fell apart as he was doing it. This could mean it is radiation damage as was hoped by the doctor.
When I went to pre-op meeting, I was told that if it is rad damage, hyperbaric oxygen treatment, if more cancer, more radiation. Don't know what to wish for at the moment after looking up the hyperbaric, does not sound like fun.
Anyway, I'm home and feeling good till I get the results next week.
Any info on the hyperbaric would be appriecatied.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2004, 04:40 PM

You have me confused hyperbaric chamber for radiation damage?? I wish I would have known that, my bladder fell apart due to radiation damage. What does the hyperbaric chamber do. Just curious in case any thing else starts to fall apart.

I am okay with what I have had done, just wish I would have had the option.
Unread 04-23-2004, 06:47 PM

I have a question about further radiation. I had internal and external radiation and the doctor said I could never have radiation to that area again. I thought that was the norm for anyone who had radiation. So you can have radiation for a recurrence in the pelvic area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2004, 11:18 PM

I was also told that I could never, ever, 'no matter what happens' have radiation treatment again to my pelvis.

My understand is that the Hyperbaric chamber forces oxygen to the area with radiation damage and helps it to heal. That's about the extent of my knowledge!

Hugs,
Janie
Unread 04-24-2004, 07:13 AM

About the radiation, I only had the 5 internals, they were saving the external in case of recurrance, lucky me.
As for the hyperbaric treatments, as far as I can gather, it forces oxygen into your body and makes it create new blood vessels in damaged tissue. I was told that the cancer center had just gotten this here about a month ago, so it is a new option that most hospitals don't have (hey, lets try it on Pam, she'll make a good guinie pig!). It's just like what they use for divers with the bends, they put you in a tube, up the pressure and force feed you 100% oxygen for an hour or so at a time, for up to 50 hours for radiation damage. Doesn't sound like much fun to me, but better than what Jane had to go though with her bladder.
At least I know that if they do more radiation and break something else, they can fix it.
Unread 04-24-2004, 10:28 AM

The theory of the hyperbaric oxygen treatments sounds wonderful. Oxygen. Good, healing oxygen. I'd like to learn more about this. The procedure itself has been around for many years -- I managed a pharmacy...oh, it must be 12 years ago by now...and one of my 'customers' was getting hyperbaric oxygen treatments for his leg. It's been so long now that I can't remember what was wrong with his leg, but my point is, it looks like the hyperbaric oxygen treatments are slowly becoming more well-known. I don't think hanging around in a tube for an hour would be much fun, but I can think of worse things.

<</empresse resists posting a list of worse things...>>
(even a silly list)

Pretty tough to know what to wish for in this case. So I shall simply wish you wellness, however it may come about.

Love,
=empresse

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register