Nearly 1 year later...*sigh* | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nearly 1 year later...*sigh* Nearly 1 year later...*sigh*

Unread 04-24-2004, 10:13 AM
Nearly 1 year later...*sigh*

I had my hyster almost 1 year ago (April 30th, 2003). I cried on the phone to DH last night (he was working late) because I was in soooooo much pain and couldn't get relief. He offered to come home and get me to the ER but I didn't want to go. I told him it's almost 1 year since my hyster and I feel EXACTLY the same way I did a year ago. *sigh* That is not what I wanted.

Sometimes I get really afraid...because the idea of spending a lifetime in this kind of pain seems overwhelming.

Okay...that sounded pathetic. I've got to get more positive about things. I'm not going to make any positive changes by being like this.

I just hope the surgery on May 3rd is successful...or I'm going to be seriously pouty.

BTW, When I heard about having surgery again I was terrified of having to deal with HRT's. I have a long history of depression, and although I (thankfully) don't deal with it anymore I'm TERRIFIED of reliving that kind of nightmare. If you spend years in a deep depression it's unthinkable to put yourself back into that nightmare. The HRT thing scared me, because I don't know if I could go through that again. Now, the pain is so bad, I think "Who cares", just take it OUT!

LOL...my perspective has changed...I guess pain will do that to a person, huh?

Rita (who is needing some hugs today)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2004, 10:31 AM

Oh (((((Rita))))) Here are a few s for you, ((((Sweetie)))). I'm so sorry that you're still in pain, 1 year later. And you know that we're all cheering in your corner, hoping that this last surgery will be the last one.

And here's one more
Unread 04-24-2004, 02:26 PM

Dear ((Rita))

I hope your next surgery is your last too... It will be here soon and we will all be rooting for you.

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2004, 06:08 PM

Well Rita,

I can't say that being estrogen free is a piece of cake, but from someone who had NO PAIN prior to her hyst, it isn't the worst thing either. Many sisters who have been hrt free, at least for a while because of endo have been so pleased tobe sort of pain free that the discomforts of menopause have been an OK price to pay. I can't help you with the fear factor since I had no choice, but on a practical level --

--ask your doc about ssri's - they significantly reduce hot flashes in more than half of women

--ask your doc about prometrium - a natural progesterone - helps dry up that old endo and reduces menopause symptoms at the same time.

--some sisters with endo (AudreyS) have been able to go on low dose estrogen after a few months estrogen free - but they watch their symptoms and pain carefully

--ask about using a vaginal estrogen product - cream, suppository or ring - it can relieve the vaginal dryness that is the bane of those of us who go without estrogen

Dorrie
Unread 04-24-2004, 09:19 PM

Rita
I do know how you feel. Next month will be my 5 year hysterversary. Sigh. It has been a struggle, but I also consider it a journey. Hmmm...five years, five surgeries, wonder if that has some sort of significance. I have learned much about myself and what I can and cannot do. While I'm not 100% I have learned patience and acceptance. I will that your surgery on the 3rd will bring you relief.
Unread 04-25-2004, 12:44 AM

(((Rita))):

As someone who has struggled with depression all my life myself, I worried about this more than any other aspect of my surgery.

I noticed, almost immediately, that on Prometrium and no estrogen, I felt better than I'd felt in years, and the roller-coaster of monthly emotions was GONE. Yes, I've had some bad patches; began Welbutrin and it has helped with mood AND, interestingly enough, with pain.

As far as pain, as (((Dorrie))) has said, I do take estrogen; I've developed osteoporosis, and with my stomach, Fosomax is out; wasn't interested in Evista, and my insurance doesn't cover it anyway. I started when my eyes dried out at about three months, and the doses are VERY low. I also use some estriol cream vaginally to try to help the tissues down there.

This is do-able, Rita . Your mileage may vary, but I am here to tell you that, with balance, I have mostly felt better than I did for YEARS. Is my endo back? Maybe, although I'm guessing that my current problems stem from adhesions, and my GYN is now urging me to start discussing a repeat surgery with the oncologists -- even if my Pap smear is normal this week (crossing fingers). Even so, the pain I have now is more "structural" and not that searing, raw tissue-type pain that my endo always caused. That pain, at least for me, was so distinctive. And I don't think, on this low dose of estrogen, it's back.

Menopause is definitely a higher-maintenance state, no doubt about it. I have to remember to take all my supplements and medications. For me, exercise is a bit of a problem, but I average nearly my 10,000 steps a day, even if I do nothing else. And exercise may be the single most productive thing you can do overall -- let's hope this surgery leaves you pain-free -- or at least improved -- so that you can think about a walk around the block or some light weights without wanting to cry with the pain.

Big s, and counting down the days with you!

Audrey
Unread 04-25-2004, 03:46 PM
Thank you soooooo much!

Thank you (((sisters)))

The hugs and good wishes mean so much to me, and I've taken notes on the information you've given me. I meet with my doctor tomorrow for the pre-op, so I'm hoping he's open to these things, otherwise I'll have to find a new doctor for the post-op care. I don't know about this GYN and how helpful he's going to be.

Thank you so much for your help!

Hugs,

Rita
Unread 04-25-2004, 04:01 PM

Dear (((Rita))) I am praying that your May 3 surgery is a huge success making your pain a thing of the past. Also, may your pre-op tomorrow go very well and your doctor be open to working with you to find the best post op care for you.
Many s, peggiesue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register