Lipoma??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-24-2004, 11:55 AM
Lipoma???

Maybe it is just me but I really think having a hysterectomy screws you for life. I have had the strangest illnesses and diseases since having one in 1999. I have a major swelling at the lower back just above the spine and below the 2 dimples. Due to having severe osteoporosis.... my husband nagged at me to go to the doctors. So yesterday morning I go and my doctor tells me I have Lipoma. Nothing to worry about. If it becomes bigger I should have it removed. So, I go online to find out more about Lipoma. Apparently.... alot of dr's are not aware of this condition and do not know much about it. Here I am thinking it is no big deal... but on the Lipoma support it says that lower back Lipomas can tether your spine and when you remove them they come right back. Doctor's say it doesn't cause pain but every person on the support group says it does. I have had severe back pain for years so I can't say that this is the cause of my pain.I was just curious if any ladies here are experiencing this and if you have any advice?I see my gynecologist May 3rd. I am going to ask his opinion without letting him know I already saw my doctor... to see if he says the same thing. Thanks for listening!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2004, 02:46 PM
Lipoma???

Hi, I have several small lipomas on my abdomen and have been told the same as you, that's it's nothing to worry about . We're watching them and if they get to be a problem , then we'll discuss removing them. The way my dr explained them is that they're benign "fatty tissue" tumors.

Now, let me tell you about my sister. She had a lipoma in the same area as you. She ignored it until it was causing major problems with pain. When she finally had it removed it weighed over 6 pounds. The good news is that it was removed about 7 years ago and has not grown back - not a trace!
Please watch yours closely, you need to be cautious with anything that close to your spine IMO.

Have you had a second opinion on how to best treat yours? That might be a good idea.

Best wishes, please keep us updated on how you're doing.

s s
Unread 04-24-2004, 03:43 PM
Lipoma???

I have had 2 lipomas removed. One was in my abdomen and had attached itself to my ribcage - caused pain every time I rolled over. The other lipoma was in my middle back and was resting on my spine. I was told lipomas do not always have to be removed. Mine were removed because they were causing discomfort and were growing larger. I was also told there is nothing you have done that causes them - there is also nothingy ou can do to prevent them - some bodies just develop them. I would keep an eye on it though.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2004, 04:25 PM
Thank you

I just wanted to thank you for your replies. I also wanted to share a web site with you that has some good info. It is lipomasforum.com Again, thanks
Unread 04-26-2004, 01:20 AM
Lipoma???

Hi,
I had one on my lower back, just to the right of my spine and laying on my tailbone. It was there and growing for about 6 years. It was about the size of a pea when I first felt it. About 6 months after my TAH it felt like a golf ball. I also had pain and numbing of my right leg. I didn't associate the two. I had a nerve test done. They tested me in a laying down on my stomach postion and it showed nothing wrong. The Dr. then, on a guess, pushed down on my lipoma and "wa laa" pain shot though my leg and then went numb. I had it remove and have been great since! So keep an eye on it and any other stange happenings. Good luck! Kim
Unread 04-26-2004, 08:02 AM
Lipoma???

I will be really interested to see what my gynecologist thinks when I see him. After reading your post and searching on this topic.. It seems to me that I should be concerned. My family doctor told me not to worry about it. It doesn't cause pain and is under my skin and wont interfere with my spine. I am reading articles that say it can cause tethering of the spine and can spread between vertabrae. I also found that majority of doctor's do not know much about Lipoma's. Also, how am I to know it really is Lipoma when they didn't do any test. All she did was feel for the borders of the mass which is about the size of a lemon. Then said I had lipoma and not to worry about it. I am confused!!
Unread 04-26-2004, 10:05 AM
I had a lipoma

I too had a lipoma when I was 15 this one was attached to my sciatia nerve, grew to my spine and paralized my right leg for a year before the drs could figure out what was happening. The dr said the surgery should be no big deal, 1-2 hours at max. Well, little did he know it grew tenticles and had intwined itself around my sciatic nerve and and spine. Therefore causing the numbness on the leg...I was in surgery for 8 hours and my folks were scared to death. After waking I still could not feel my leg and they feared permanent damage.

Thankfully after pt I was able to regain the use of my leg. But the tumor did regrow when i was 20 not to the extreme because we caught it early but I have always wandered if that is why I have the back pain I have now... Of course the drs say no.

Just a lil more info for you... So please keep an eye on yours,
Good Luck
Jeni

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register