Help for little Girl.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help for little Girl.... Help for little Girl....

Unread 04-25-2004, 08:20 AM
Unhappy - Help for little Girl.... Help for little Girl....

I realize this site is for us big girls who have already been through, or are approaching the biggest hormonal changes of our lives, but I am in need of some advice for some little people.

I came from a family of 8 girls , we all menstruated before 10 yrs. of age. All but 2, suffered from PMS and horrible, painful periods. 3 of us had endo, and 2, myself included, had uterine/endometrial cancer........okay..... Here's where your awesome advice would be helpful......
My 9 year old just got her first period. (I have been crying every night for a week.) She kept saying she had a "Tummy ache" and she's been on an emotional roller coaster for the last 2 weeks. I called her doctor, and he didn't give me much help....in fact, he won't even see her until next month. I don't want her to suffer and she's so young. I called my gyno...She said it was unusual to happen so young, but not abnormal. She also said to wait til she cycles again to see if she has any more symptoms and to keep track of her daily habits to see if there are any changes......bluh-bub-blah-blah.....Thats not what I wanted to hear! Any suggestions Ladies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2004, 12:44 PM
Help for little Girl....

There was a GREAT thread around here on that very subject not long ago: Nine year old girl gets her period! that had a lot of useful information.

Since having your period so young seems to run in your family, the more "normal" you can act about it, the easier it will be for your DD to accept what is happening. Often the first year of periods is a roller-coaster ride -- it doesn't necessarily mean that your DD will have your same problems. In the meanwhile, you can ask her doctor what her dose of ibuprofen would be. She may find relief with the use of Motrin or Advil for the "tummy ache." Seeing the pediatrician for this isn't likely to make a difference; she is entering puberty early, but it's still a normal process and one the pediatricians don't often have much training in (surprisingly, but they really get very little GYN in their training unless they go into adolescent medicine).

I hope she is able to go on to a normal life of healthy, normal periods! Take a look at that thread; there's a few books that were mentioned in the process that may really help both of you get through this tumultuous time.

Audrey
Unread 04-25-2004, 07:43 PM
Help for little Girl....

I also dread that moment when my baby girls will turn into a "big girl". She's 8. 4 yo and I was 9.10 yo when I had my first period... I know that the time is approaching and I'm dreading it.

I agree with Audrey that treating the milestone as a normal event and to minimize our own dread of it can only help our daughters.

I remember that my first few periods were not indicative of what was to come: unlike what the doctor had predicted, they were very regular for a few years and they were not yet the long periods with really heavy bleeding that would mar my teen years.

Your DD may not have the problems you had. However, if she does show signs of following in your footsteps, do try and find either a pediatrician specializing in teen pediactrics or a gynecologist specializing in pre-teens or teens (there are some around, though, unfortunately, not that many). Your gynecologist might actually be able to help you in finding the right doctor for your DD.

In the meantime, just be there for her. Reassure her that this is a normal coming of age and that it is, in fact, a time to rejoice at her budding womanhood (regardless of how you feel about the whole mess). Hopefully, there'll be others in her class who have either started or are showing signs of starting. She may relate to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2004, 05:18 AM
Unhappy - Help for little Girl.... Help for little Girl....

Hello Friend,
I have a daughter that will be 2 in July--and her previous pediatrition laughed at me when I asked if she could end up like me--vomitting doubled over in pain--and adventually with a complete Hyst.!! I didn't appreciate the laughing--I guess if you haven't been there, don't go there--I have 3 older son's so I don't worry about them--and she is my only daughter--I understand what you are saying--cause I already worry about it... No one listened to me at 17, when I started vomiting and having horrible pain--I pray things go better for your daughter--my advice is at least journal her periods and how she is feeling each month--maybe then the dr.'s will believe you in time--if you bring in a journal and show them proof... Good luck!
God Bless.
Jackie....

Unread 05-07-2004, 02:00 PM
Help for little Girl....

My story is alittle different .. I have a 10 year old dd who started when she was 9 but she is in a wheel chair for tramatic brain injury.. she has the mind of a 2 year old.. She is in diapers.. At one time the drs had mentioned doing a hyster. on here since she would never have kids but after all that I have went through with this I dont think I could put her through it.. She so far has not had the problems that I have had.. Hers is right on time and only last 3 to 4 days a month..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register