Endometrial Cancer and MoeKay Make Front-Page News - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometrial Cancer and MoeKay Make Front-Page News Endometrial Cancer and MoeKay Make Front-Page News

Unread 04-25-2004, 09:39 PM
Endometrial Cancer and MoeKay Make Front-Page News

Yeah, Moekay!!!! Great article and very imformative!!! We are so proud of you! I wanted to see the picture, too! Congratulations on your 5 yr. mark.....may you celebrate MANY, MANY more!!!

Rhonda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2004, 09:37 AM

GREAT ARTICLE

I too would have like to have seen your pic, but the best thing is getting the word out. I am looking for my first full year out, but am just taking it one step at a time. So far so good.
Unread 04-26-2004, 10:20 AM

Dear MoeKay:

How encouraging and beautiful. Thank you for a great article - I too printed it out and will have my sisters read it as well.

Congratulations to you!!!

Wishing you years of happiness and health.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2004, 01:28 PM

Wow, I am so proud of you for taking such a stong stand after your struggle with cancer. Great article and keep up the good work.
Unread 04-27-2004, 12:07 AM

Moekay - what a great article. Thanks for putting our cancer in the spotlight. You are an inspiration!
Jan
Unread 04-27-2004, 01:32 AM

A friend sent me an e-mail link to your post, and asked me to read the article. Great stuff - both what you said and the information you and the reporter gave are right on the money. I sent a comment to the newspaper congratulating them on the great piece, especially the solid information and the hopeful tone.

Congratulations go to you also, both on your 5th anniversary and for your work with the community.
Unread 04-27-2004, 08:45 AM

Moekay...you are a superstar!!! That is a terrific article, concise, informative, humane and warm, and short enough to not loose the "headline readers".
You have done a great service by coming up with the suggestion for the article and following through.
and have a great trip to Vegas!
Leslie
Unread 04-27-2004, 10:24 AM

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and well wishes!

Like Ellen (which she mentioned in another post), I too had contacted the TV talk shows to try to get them to do a segment on endometrial and/or gyn cancers, but never heard back. I think the shift to the local media was a good move, although I was surprised that I never heard back from my own newspaper. I was also concerned that the newspaper that ran the article would not be interested because I did not live in their area of circulation. In fact, the reporter did email me at first and asked where I lived, and I knew what her concern was. So I made sure to demonstrate all the connections I had to the local area, and ultimately she agreed to do the article.

The point is that you just never know! Each one of you has a story to tell that is unique and interesting. The lesson I learned from this experience is never give up; if you don't get a response in one venue, try another. Sooner or later we gyn cancer survivors will be making big-time inroads into the breast cancer media monopoly!

Take care,

MoeKay
Unread 04-27-2004, 10:45 AM

Moekay - Congratulations both on your anniversary and your article !

You have no idea how many women you might have helped who read it and go to the doctor because of it. I too am 56 and was diagnosed with endometrial cancer on 01/29/04. It had started to move toward the cervix. My lymph nodes were clear and right now I'm going through radiation (no problems at all so far!!)

My only symptom was very pale pink color on toilet tissue but since I had gastric bypass surgery last June and was told that I could start having periods again d/t hormone "confusion" post-surgery, I never gave it a thought! (I've lost 130 lbs!!)

My gyn found it from Pap test. I realize now that with a serious weight problem I was a prime candidate for it. Not to take anything away from our sisters with breast cancer, but gynecological cancer does not receive anywhere near the attention we need it to get to alert all women. So thank you, thank you for getting the word out! You're a life saver !!

Carol
Unread 04-28-2004, 07:07 PM

Well, that is just cool. What a nice tradition! It's so nice that your husband is so supportive of you. Maybe I will be so lucky one day. Congrats on your continued health! s!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register