getting a private room??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

getting a private room??? getting a private room???

Unread 04-25-2004, 04:32 PM
getting a private room???

it is really important to me to be able to have a private room, i dont know how my "castle" is set up....is it possible to request a private room, and just pay the difference??? does anyone know what the $$$ difference is??? are they gonna look at me crazy with this request????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2004, 04:53 PM

due to having Crohn's disease I have spent many weeks in the hosptial over the past 4 years.

When I had my TAH couple weeks ago, I have NO IDEA how it happened, but I got a private room. I was truly SHOCKED when I woke up long enough to figure that out. It was such a wonderful luxury, even though I was only there 2 days and out of it most of that time. But was nice not to have to share a toilet and had my own shower stall. Sorry I am no help to your actual questions. I could call the hospital and ask for admissions and see what you can find out. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!
Unread 04-25-2004, 04:58 PM

They won't think you're crazy if you want a private room.

Getting one is an insurance thing.

My doctors, I make sure of this, are associated with a hospital that has only private rooms. They are extremely tiny but that's ok by me.

This was the second surgery I had there. Hopefully, I won't have to have surgery for anything again but if I do I will make sure my surgeon is affilated with that hospital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2004, 05:21 PM

Getting a private room is an insurance issue as far as payment is concerned. Usually, if you agree to pay the difference, you can get a private room if one is available. At my hospital, the difference was $75 per day. I talked with my doctor and he agreed to order a private room if one was available, which meant that my insurance would pay for it. He explained, however, that even with his orders, I couldn't be assured of a private room unless I had an illness which required isolation and special procedures. He said the hospital was very full at the time and it was "iffy." He further said that he wanted to be sure that I was on the floor where they had the most experience dealing with my surgery.

As it turned out, I couldn't get a private room...the hospital was indeed full. I had 2 different roommates while I was in and, frankly, I couldn't have cared less. I thought it was very important to me as I am a very private and modest person who likes to be in control. But I slept much of the time and the rest of the time I was walking, etc. Also, I was very glad to be on the floor I was. My nurses were very experienced with hysterectomy patients and were a tremendous help in teaching how to walk, get out of bed, use the bathroom, and just generally move without too much discomfort. They also kept close watch over me and were very, very gentle and understanding. I'll take that over a private room any day.
Unread 04-25-2004, 05:28 PM

My hospital also charged $75 over the regular room rate, but I thought it was worth it. I knew for sure I'd made the right decision when, on one of my little walks, I saw a room with 2 patients in it. One of the two women patients had an adult and 3 or 4 little kids visiting. The kids were racing around the room and up and down the hall. I also had my laptop brought in to me and was up during the wee hours of the night posting on here and saying "hi" to everyone My night owl activities didn't interfere with someone else's sleep.

s
Cat
Unread 04-25-2004, 05:52 PM

One of my roommates' visitors, too, brought in small children. Fortunately, as I said, I had wonderful nurses who immediately "swooped" in and told them they were not allowed in patients' rooms and must leave. My roommate and all her visitors immediately went to the lounge.
Unread 04-25-2004, 06:05 PM

Wow, you ladies who only had to pay an extra $75 a day are lucky. I checked with my hospital and they said $900 a day. Well, that made my decision easy. No private room for me.

Having to share a room really wasn't bad at all. I had two different roomies...the first one was from &%**% but fortunately I was out of it most of the time she was there and the nurses decided to move her to a room by herself since she was difficult. The second roomie was great and it was nice having someone to relate to since we had both just been through the same experience.
Unread 04-25-2004, 08:02 PM

From what I have read here, women just call the hosp and ask what the difference in price is. That ranged anywhere from 20 dollars up to over a hundred. I decided to not have a private room.. got one anyway. BUT.. just got the paper from insurance saying I didnt need a private room, so they didn't cover it. I forget exactly, but it was better than 900 a day.We'll see if doc gets that overturned or if hosp writes it off. I'm not paying for something I didn't ask for..
Unread 04-25-2004, 10:38 PM

I couldn't get a private room either, though I asked. It's an extra $100 and not covered by insurance. Unfortunately I was the "roommate from hades". She had to endure hearing me retch and vomit for hours on end.
Unread 04-26-2004, 05:28 AM

Definitely contact the hospital. I called mine to ask for a price difference. I was pleasantly surprised to find out the women's wing is nothing but private! So nice price difference.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register