Surgery date. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery date. Surgery date.

Unread 04-26-2004, 07:02 AM
Surgery date.

I have a date for my D&C and hysterscopy at last. It is Monday, 24th. May, four weeks to go. My CA125 number, which was 306, has fallen to 124 - so, still abnormally high but with a downward trend. How weird is that? I hope this means that cancer is less likely as a diagnosis - however I won't know until the pathology is back after surgery - end of May, beginning of June. I am going to try my very hardest not to obsess about all of this until then - not easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2004, 07:21 AM
Surgery date.

Latina,
I know the wating can be so hard. Just try to keep yourself busy and the mind occupied. Just know you are moving forward even if it is slow going.

This may be easier said than done, but the time will be here before you know it.
Unread 04-26-2004, 09:35 AM
Surgery date.

(((Jane))):

I know what that waiting is like; I had a followup Pap last Friday following a cryo a couple of months ago for CIN. When I had my hyst, I'd had years of normal Pap smears, so I kept my cervix. However, the second post-op Pap turned up ASCUS (abnormal squamous cells, not really cancer) with no HPV. A repeat six weeks later turned up CIN with HPV (DNA-proved to be one of the high-risk strains).

My doctor doesn't think I'd need to have a trachelectomy if it comes back as CIN -- but also recommended that I contact a new GYN-oncologist to discuss the possibility of exploratory lap anyway for adhesion problems I've been dealing with. I'll know more after the Pap smear comes back -- but she urged me not to wait. I suppose I shouldn't; my DH really wants to take a vacation at the end of June/early July this year. It's been three years since our last real vacation -- we've been able to get a weekend here or there, but he is on call 24/7 so it's been impossible.

So, I wait. I haven't had the CA-125 repeated (it was rising, but not as dramatically as yours did) but I will when I go see the oncologists. Is there any chance that your CA-125 reflects your endo, and the drop reflects a decrease in pelvic inflammation for the moment? You know, from your ovary surgery, that the endo does affect the CA-125 as well. The bleeding you've been dealing with could be due to adenomyosis; that's such a hard thing to diagnose in any way other than pathology after the fact.

You've been in my thoughts and prayers since you returned with your update. I know at some point you had posted about what the ovarian mass last year turned out to be; was it endometrioma? That makes adeno even more possible.

Sorry that the NHS has you waiting so long -- it really gives the old cancerhead a chance to take hold, doesn't it? Maybe they'll be able to move up the date? It's not clear from your posts what exactly they plan to do: if the D & C and hysteroscopy are positive, will they go ahead and do the hyst at that time? Or will they have to re-schedule?

You're dealing with a new doctor; me, too, only in my case, it's probably an improvement. The one who did my hyst two years ago was very conservative and old-fashioned (he argued with me about the supracervical option, citing the scenario I'm dealing with now, but I have no regrets). This new group is more technically advanced (offering more laparoscopy options).

Sorry I'm rambling so; I'm not done with that first cup of coffee just yet, and I'm scrambling to write this as I need to head out to work this morning. Just wanted to let you know that I'm doing the waiting game too...and that I'm thinking of you!

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2004, 12:08 PM
Surgery date.

Oh, Latina, I'm so glad that you got your surgery date. That's great. I know it's just over a month away but I'm sure it will be here before you know it! Till then, enjoy the spring (to the extent that you can), get your stuff in order, and get ready for a good surgery with only good results.

Best,
Unread 04-26-2004, 01:29 PM
Surgery date.

I'm glad you have a surgery date. We all know how difficult it is to wait. Soon the day will be here for you.

Hope you get a good result from your surgery.

Ruth S

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register