3 weeks Post OP Concerns | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 weeks Post OP Concerns 3 weeks Post OP Concerns

Unread 04-26-2004, 07:41 AM
3 weeks Post OP Concerns

Today I am 3 weeks post op and I have some concerns.
1) I do not feel like eating - is this normal?
2) My incision is itching which I know is a sign of healing, but the area about 1 inch from the incision is real sore, to the touch and with my clothes touching it. I am concern that there may be something going on that is not right.
3) I am drinking plenty of water & natural fruit juices, but I still feel real thirsty.
4) I am have leg cramps - I have never had leg cramps that hurt so bad that it woke me up in the middle of the night.
5) My pelvic bones where the had to scrap the scare tissue from my overies where attached hurts, ( I was in surgery for almost 3 hours because of the scare tissue)

I am walking slowly around like my DR advised me, and resting when I get tired. I have not had away fever. But the Dr. did advise me that my postasium was low, should I be concerned?

I am on .1 Climara HRT have been since the day of my surgey. No complaints as of yet with the HRT therapy.

I am not sure if I am over reacting or should I be really worried?
Any advise would obe helpful.

My surgery was TAH/BSO - everything taken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2004, 07:56 AM
My 2 Cents worth

I also had TAH on April 5th! IMHO,

1) loss of appetite--I think this is normal, but it's important to eat. Try to nibble little (nutritious) things throughout the day. You need to keep your strength up!

2) itching--normal! Tenderness is normal too, but if you notice new swelling, redness, or discharge at the incision, call your dr. right away.

3) thirst--Your body's way of telling you to drink MORE! Drink up!

4) I'm no dr., but I really think this could be a result of your low Potassium... Are you on a supplement? If not, maybe you should tell your dr. about the leg cramps.

5) Sorry, I have no idea about this. ???

Hope this helps!
Unread 04-26-2004, 08:04 AM
Post Op

To make question #5 a little more clear.

I had been bleeding into my overies every time I had my cycle. This caused scare tissue build up so bad that the overies and the scar tissues was attached to the pelvic wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2004, 08:38 AM
3 weeks Post OP Concerns

Hi there

low potassium is what is causing your leg cramps and also the thirstyness...You arent take any diuretics are you? banana's are a good source of potassium but you have to eat several, i think spinach also has it but not sure..i would get foods in you that have potassium in them, i think those drinks like gaterade or sports drinks, the doctor would have put you on oral meds if it was that low..Do you remember what it was?? usually 3.8 requires oral medications..Are you have heart palpations also, sometimes when its low you will experience that..i wouldnt go out and get an over the counter supplement of potassium unless your doctor advises you..Do you have a juicer???find out which fruits and veggies have potassium in them and juice a big glass of it twice a day, you should be fine in a couple of days..usually when someone is putting out alot of urine and not taken in enough you get low potassium. it usually occurs with alot of diarrhea and if you consume alot of salt...so watch the salt intake also for a couple days..potassium balances your sodium.deficiency of it also cause fatigue and sometimes elevated BP...Like i said if it was so low that it would cause you damage then your doctor would have put you on some oral potassium..it can be resolved with the things i listed before..really stay away from salt right now until you resolve this.

good luck
Unread 04-26-2004, 08:46 AM
3 weeks Post OP Concerns

Your probly fatigued and that is making you not feel like you want to eat...

The normal daily dose of potassium is 2 gms or 2000 mg...which could be easily gotten with food or one of those sports drinks,have hubby check the label...

let us know?????
Unread 04-26-2004, 09:11 AM
post op

I know that while I was in the castle they gave me postasium though my IV and the day they discharged me that gave me 2 pills of postasium. I have been eating bananas to help with the postasium. I have been drinking a great deal of water and natural fruit juices, but I have not check to see if there is any postasium in the juices, but I will. I know right now I am craving , I think it is because this is the week I would normally have my cycle. (no more cycles ) I know that I should limt my intake of caffien (sp?) But I want the so bad, I am not going to give in(mind over matter).
Unread 04-26-2004, 09:31 AM
3 weeks Post OP Concerns

Hey criss...

the craving of chocolate is low magnisium, which if your potassium is low that will follow...magnisium is also in bananas and green leafy veggies...you have to eat a lot of bananas to replace potassium if its really low...the sports drink would be better...i thought it was crazy about the magnisium but before my surgery when my estrogen levels were already decreasing, and i couldnt get enough chocolate, he told me to take that...i started and it really worked...anyone without ovaries should be on calcium supplements and ways and if you are doctor should have advised you to take magnisum with that also...its a 2 to 1 ratio....
have hubby go to store and i would go to healthy food store and ask the clerk best drink to buy to get it...alot of people out there with low potassium...alot of weight lifters have it...thats why they drink those electroylyte replacements...check out pedialyte for kids...im not sure how much that has in it...but same thing...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register