Bowel Prep Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel Prep Questions Bowel Prep Questions

Unread 04-26-2004, 11:32 AM
Bowel Prep Questions

Hi. I know I have read some very good advise regarding the nasty bowel prep that is necessary prior to surgery, but I ahve some furthur questions...

What is a good diet prior to the bowel prep? I thought I read somewhere on this site that if you eat lite and certian foods, that the bowel prep will go smoother.

Do you rally have to drink all of the Golitely? Is 3/4 of the jug enough?

How long does the bathroom trips last (will I be in there all night)?

My doctor gave me a pill also, he says it is to fight nausua (sp?), does this pill work?

Any and all info on this procedure would be helpful.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2004, 11:41 AM
Bowel Prep Questions

When I had my colonoscopy I had to drink all the "golitely"... which I prefer to call "goplenty".... Let's see that was 10 years ago, but I remember drinking it and by the time I was half way through the jug I was drinking it while I was sitting on the toliet.. I remember it lastly about 3 hours before I was able to lay down and go to sleep.

I hope I don't have to do that for my hyster.

Good Luck to you

Unread 04-26-2004, 11:47 AM
Bowel Prep Questions

I had to drink the whole gallon. The only thing I can suggest is to put it in the refrigerator and get it as cold as possible. My pharmacist recommended this, and it helped it go down a little bit easier. Hope this helps.

mere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2004, 12:02 PM
Bowel Prep Questions

Okay, now I am really getting nervous. How do you know about bowel prep? My surgery is scheduled for 3 May 04 and I have a doctor appt this friday, and I am suppose to do something at the hospital (they said pre-op appt) on Sat. What are they going to do? When do I get "bowel prep" instructions... oh God, how scary.
Unread 04-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Bowel Prep Questions

You will get your instructions at the pre-op appointment. Some doctors do not require a bowel prep. Some just say clear liquids the day before. Some do an enema the morning of the surgery. It just all depends on what your doctor requires. Some require you to drink Mag Citrate the night before... It all depends..

Don't worry, it sounds worse than it is sometimes...

Unread 04-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Bowel Prep Questions

Yes, you are supposed to drink the whole gallon....or until the water you pass is completely clear. I've probably had six colonoscopies, and never made it to the bottom before it was clear. They always said a clear liquid diet the day you have to drink it. Nothing with red or blue dye in it, though. Jello and broth is fine.

Thankfully, I only have to do an enema for my bowel prep. I just had a colonoscopy a couple of months ago, and I don't want to drink that stuff again!

My advice also is to keep it in the refrigerator the entire day you have to drink it. I also find it helpful to have a lollipop or lemon handy to "chase" it with. Hope this is helpful!

Jenny
Unread 04-26-2004, 12:12 PM
Bowel Prep Questions

I had a colonoscopy two weeks ago and the bowel prep was not as bad as everyone told me. The day of my evening bowel prep, I ate a liquid diet, with orange jello and popsicles as the only "food." I also drank alot of water.

I kept the bowel prep in the fridge and 1 hour before taking I put it in the freezer so it was really cold. It tasted nasty, even with the flavor pack, and that was the worst part of the ordeal. It lasted 3 hours, one glass every twn minutes, I drank the whole thing, and the toilet sitting was just an inconvenience. It was just like peeing after the first two sit downs.

Don't worry it is not that bad. I had no cramping (I had a pill for that) and it was over quickly.
Unread 04-26-2004, 12:12 PM
bowel prep

Ladies, all this talk of Golightly (what is it? Sounds like liquid dynamite!) makes me glad I'm in the U.K. From info given at my hysterectomy talk, all the bowel prep I need is a suppository if I don't 'go' the morning of my op. I'm thankful for such small mercies!
Unread 04-26-2004, 02:49 PM
Bowel Prep Questions

Hi Ladies!

RE: liquid diets, etc. Unless you are specifically told to, DON'T! Your body is going to need all the nutrients it can get before you do the bowel prep, and to tide you over til you get to eat solid food again.

I had to do an enema, not drink the golytely, etc, and the only dietary restriction I had was nothing after midnight. I ate normally the day before surgery, even had a pepperoni pizza as my last meal, did my enema, had no gas problems post op, and bowels were fine til about 10 days post op - then I got constipated.

It can't be emphasized enough - follow the directions that you are given, don't do any extra, or any less. When in doubt call your DR and ask.

Best wishes!
Unread 04-26-2004, 02:51 PM
Bowel Prep Questions

At my preop last week, my Dr said no bowel prep, but he does recommend a clear liquid diet the day before surgery and nothing after midnight, the night before. I am filling up on good foods today and tonite and will have a hearty breakfast tomorrow - surgery is at 8am Wednesday, so I figure I can squeeze in a good breakfast tomorrow and still be in my 24 hour window!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register