Head Coverings? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Head Coverings? Head Coverings?

Unread 04-26-2004, 04:48 PM
Head Coverings?

I am having trouble finding items to cover my bald head. I do have a wig which can become uncomfortable. Does anyone have a source for me? I would like something simple and comfortable.

Thanks, LilyLulu

TAH, stage 2C ovarian cancer with microscopic cancer cells in pelvic area. Third chemo this week Taxol and Carbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2004, 06:39 PM
Here's One Idea

www.tlccatalog.org
This is from American Cancer Society. They have online and a catalog. They have hats, scarves, and other head covers and they can be decked out with twists and fake bangs.
Also www.headcovers.com online has other things too.
Unread 04-26-2004, 08:44 PM
Head Coverings?

Hi, Lily:

Glad to see you here. Hope your chemos are going well.

I purchased hats from both of the places that Ellen mentioned above. They were both very nice and soft, and they seemed to be "deeper" than ones at the local stores.

My sister and I were looking at the hats online together when I needed them. We made a joke with each other about the description "as always, total head coverage."

I'm glad to have some fun memories of that time of my life!

You are in my thoughts and ers

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2004, 09:32 PM
Hi Lilly

Was just thinking of you and wondering how goes it.
The American Cancer Society here in Medford has a great selection of helpful items..wigs , hats , scarfs ...etc. and I'm sure lots of help and good info.
There # 779-6091...............31 W.6th St.

Hope all is well.
Unread 04-28-2004, 04:14 PM
Head Coverings?

Lily,

I wore turbans all through my chemotherapy. I'd always liked the way they looked on other women, but before I lost my hair could never wear them because my hair was so slippery they woudn't stay on. So when I lost my hair I figured now was my chance. Actually I had fun with them and I felt so exotic!!!

There are a few tricks to choosing the right fabric and tying them, but it really isnt hard. The fabric should be supple, but not too stiff, not too slippery, and not too stretchy. Slippery ones will slide off; stiff ones don't wrap well, and stretchy ones will loosen up as the day goes on.

I liked to use fabrics that were printed on both sides, it makes is easier not to have to hide the wrong side as you twist and tuck. A lot of striped fabrics have the stripes woven right in; ikats are also good; also batiks and tie-dyes. African prints are often nearly the same on the "wrong" side as on the right side. On the other hand, solids are sometimes easier to match with your clothes.

I found color combinations that were reminiscent of my hair tones to work best for me.

As for the tying:

1. In order to wrap twice around your head, the fabric should be about 2 yards long. It also needs to be about 18 inches wide to make sure it covers your head completely from front to back. That is larger than most scarves, and a different dimension, so I bought my pieces at fabric stores. It also tends to be a bit cheaper that way. Most fabrics are too wide, so they have to be cut. Ripping is easier and faster, but not all fabrics will rip. They can tell you at the fabric store and show you how to rip if you dont know.

2. Start with the middle of the piece of fabric at the nape of your neck. The important thing is that it really should be the middle. If not the wrapping gets unsymmetrical and that is more complicated.

3. Wrap once completely, making sure the fabric is snug and that your ears are covered. At this point you can tie it once at the nape of your neck, then continue to wrap towards the front of your head, tucking the ends under the part already wrapped on the side of your head.

4. At this point, check how it looks in the mirror and tuck and adjust until you like what you see. You can push it off your ears a bit.

I hope this is helpful... I really had a blast. Truth is, I still miss my turban-tying days, now four years into the past.

Lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register