Recovery Time | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Time Recovery Time

Unread 04-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Recovery Time

I haven't had my procedure yet, but I'm wondering about recovery time. I'm scheduled to go on a great family vacation (motorhome trip - camping/hiking, etc) end of June. If I have a LAVH by May 21st, will I be in any shape to take this trip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2004, 09:29 PM
Recovery Time

Most of the post I've seen required 6 weeks recovery. I had TAH (see profile) but still not ready for that kind of trip. Everyone's recovery time is diffferent and depending on type of surgery - you may have quicker recovery time but check with doctor before scheduling. You may want to wait until after trip. my Good Luck whatever you decide.
Unread 04-26-2004, 10:24 PM
Recovery Time

I had a TVH and am 8 weeks post op....there is no way I would do the hiking. Maybe sleeping and fishing but camping and hiking - Yikes! We camp and it's a lot of work just loading up, setting up etc. Even at 8 weeks post doing laundry just about does me in. Today I attempted to do laundry AND clean out my daughter's clothes from her closet. Needless to say, half the clothes are still dirty and my daughter's room is a mess because I cannot finish it today - i'm too tired and worn out.

I would either schedule your hyst AFTER the camp trip or move your camp trip further away from your surgery. Also my
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2004, 12:00 AM
Recovery Time

if your surgary is not urgent and you can wait...do so...that is too close to surgary date to go on that sort of thing...6 weeks is min and some it is 8 weeks recovery. I know there is no way at even almost 8 weeks i would not be ready for that sort of trip. and I feel pretty good pain wise. Fatigue is my issue some days i have it. I had a tah and that is the most invasive but your not having that but your insides take time to heal...some have a fast turn around with lavh some don't. We are all different. maybe postponing is best. let us know what you decide.
take care
teresa
Unread 04-27-2004, 12:04 AM
Recovery time

Hi there,
I had a TVH and went to Hawaii at four weeks post op. I was just fine. I went snorkeling, swimming and did a lot of walking.
Unread 04-27-2004, 06:26 AM
Recovery Time

In a word, NO. unless you are planning on resting the whole time and somebody else in charge of packing clothes, lugging, cooking, unpacking, washing clothes, ironing etc. You need to take it easy!
are everywhere!

Can you not reschedule surgery until after hol, or postpone hol for another month? Check with your doctor anyway, see what he suggests.
Unread 04-27-2004, 08:53 AM
Thanks for Info

Thanks to all of you who responded to my recovery time question. I've decided, if my dr agrees, to wait until after the trip to have my visit to the castle. My family has saved for a long time for this trip and I don't want to take any chances that anything will screw it up. I can just picture being 4 weeks post-op and being out of the state or country and having something go wrong - that would be just peachy! So thank you to everyone who responded - you made my decision easier (actually, I'm not really looking forward to this surgery so it wasn't really hard to decide to wait anyways).

So, I'm off to call my dr and make sure that waiting is okay. I'll post again when I have surgery date and am closer to time. Until then - lots of hugs and prayers and thoughts to all of you who are either waiting or have become princesses. Blessings to all of you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register