colovaginal fistula post-hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

colovaginal fistula post-hysterectomy colovaginal fistula post-hysterectomy

Unread 04-27-2004, 05:20 PM
colovaginal fistula post-hysterectomy

I woke up with poop coming out of my vagina 7 months post-op. ALARMING TO SAY THE LEAST. I HAD A BOWEL rESECTION TO REPAIR THE FISTULA AND AM NOW 5 MONTHS POST-OP FROM THAT SURGERY. HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS RARE COMPLICATION? fINALLY THIS WEEK I WAS ABLE TO LAY FLAT ON A BED FOR THE FIRST TIME WITH MIMINAL BURNING AT THE VERTICAL INCISION SITE. it's been a nightmare. I'm wondering whether anyone has tips for strenthening weak abdominal muscles after two abdominal surgeries as my back has been hurting . There's more but I'm too tired to type any more. I love reading the stories--very reassuring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2004, 05:25 PM

Dear ((Healthmaven))

That sounds simply awful!! I am sorry that you had to go through that.

I have not heard of that happening before. I do hope that in a few months you will be feeling much better... with no further complications or pain from your experience.

Perhaps your doctor might refer you to physical therapy to help with the back pain and weakened abdominal muscles.

Sarah
Unread 04-27-2004, 07:24 PM

Yes, I've experienced this - stool coming out vaginally. This happened to me several weeks after my hysterectomy. I waited nearly two years for my bowel resection - about 13 weeks ago. I don't think it's all been resolved for me. I'm still having symptoms of rectal/vaginal burning. I had a great deal of scar tissue from severe endometriosis and I don't think they found all the fistulas.

How did your start? Was it your hysterectomy - did they knick your colon? or, was it an infection? do they know the cause for you?

Please let me know.

Take care.

Anita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2004, 07:32 PM

I have had a rectal/vaginal fistula for 7 years. Mine was the result of childbirth (tearing). I decided to get it fixed at the same time as my TAH 4 weeks ago, same recovery. Unfortunately it didn't work. At 10 days post op it was obvious that it was back. After the hell I went through with the bowel prep I am determined to get this fixed....Im sure you know what I mean!! My rectal surgeon said that it still may close up. I go to see him in two weeks so we'll see. This is a common problem from what I hear and the repair dosen't always work the first time.
Unread 04-27-2004, 10:43 PM

My fistula was the result of an inflamed diverticuli which happened to rest upon my cervix, causing the intestinal lining to erode. The floppy bowel fell down into the space formerly occupied by my uterus. I was lucky that the fistula was in the sigmoid colon which is easier to repair. I had 6-8" of my sigmoid removed, which has left me with frequent bowel movements. I'm struggling to accept this but I am very unhappy about it., sometimes 6-7 poops a day, sometimes only 3-4. It *****, especially as I was diagnosed with borderline diabetes following the hysterectomy so I've added a lot of fiber to my diet., which only aaggravates the frequency problem. Anyway, enough about me. I hope you get the help you need to get resolution. Glad to know I'm not alone. Thanks.
Unread 04-28-2004, 02:15 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your situation! My PT has me doing a great exersize to help my tummy. You can do it in any position, sitting or lying down. Try to pull your belly button in to your back. I started out 3x a day, 5 at a time. It won't flatten it, but it does make a big difference in your tummy and back muscles. Good luck!
Unread 04-30-2004, 08:48 PM

I'm brand new to the Internet and overwhelmed , so forgive my ineptness. I don't know the name of the woman with the RVF but I wanted to send her my heartfelt sympathy. I'm so sorry you have to repeat the GoLytely through the vagina. Unbelievavle burning!My incision is 9" vertically and I'm still unable to lie flat ona bed. I've slept on the couch with many pillows for over a year now(except for two wonderful weeks in November before the bowel surgery. How about you? Do you have a vertical incision too? I'm having a very hard time accepting and coping with these two major surgeries so close together. My gynecologist was murdered, my TAH surgeon relocated 3 days post-op and her replacement was not helpful and her assocviate misdiagnosed the fistula, saying it was just a micro-period from the intact cervix. So how was your day? Thank goodness for my DH who has been with me every step of the way.
Unread 05-01-2004, 07:47 PM

Healthmaven -

Thanks for the information regarding your fistula. My fistula sounds pretty identical to yours. They removed 6-8 inches of my sigmoid colon also and the leak was near my cervix. My colon was also leaking into my bladder. They accidently cut into my colon during my hysterectomy and don't know if that repair started to leak or if it was the extreme difficulty they had taking my uterus out because I had a frozen pelvis due to severe endo and they could not decifer tissue. I waited nearly two years for my surgery and saw several colon and rectal surgeons because their opinions were all so different. I nearly lost my mind. I searched this site for nearly 2 years to find someone with my problem. You are the first I've found. I know that women that develop this from childbirth complications - their fistulas are more rectal and can have their repaired without and abdominal incision. My bowel prep was also horrible. The vaginal burning was so bad - it felt like acid burns.

So you are still having problems a year later with your incision? Are you still experiencing pain? This doesn't sound right to me.

Did you have a Colon and Rectal surgeon do your repair?

Let me know and take care.

Anita
Unread 05-01-2004, 08:07 PM
colovaginal fistula

Anita Michelle-- so glad to hve found you,too. I consulted with a colorectal surgeon and he attended the surgery but I chose a general surgeon to perform the resection as I didn't want to wait a month. Insurance considerations figured in too. The incision pain from my 8-9" ve4rtical incision is from the bowel surgery 5 months ago. The incision pain from the TAH , also vertical as the cause was a 12x14x16 cm ovarian cyst, lasted 6 months so I'm hopeful. My main complaint is frequent bms, from 4-7 a day. I was told this could occur but would probably settle down after 4 months or so, so I'm starting to get worried. Do you have this too? I'd love to connect with a bowel resection patient further along on the road to recovery and will try the colitis foundation. Anyway,from one exhausted soul to another. Take care, Shelley
Unread 05-01-2004, 08:27 PM

Wow, you are still experiencing incision pain. My surgery was 3 and a half months ago. My incision is about 7 inches and I experienced virtually no pain whatsoever in my incision. Do your doctor's feel this is still normal healing? This doesn't sound right.

I have about 2-4 bowels movements per day. At times, slighty more that before my resection but I very pleased with that. My major concern is - that they found all my fistula's as I still experiencing some rectal/vaginal burning. This doesn't seem normal to me.

Can you please tell me what tests they did before your surgery to determine the location of your fistula. Did you have a CT scan. barium enema? Was the fistula easily determined with contrast studies? Mine where extremely difficult to find.

Take care and keep talking to those doctors about your pain.

Anita

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register