colovaginal fistula post-hysterectomy - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

colovaginal fistula post-hysterectomy colovaginal fistula post-hysterectomy

Unread 05-21-2004, 10:38 PM
colovaginal fistula post-hysterectomy

Hi Shelley -

Thanks for your post. I can't believe that we are both still having problems. I was wondering if you have experience any rectal burning? Could this be yeast related? I don't know if this is a side effect of surgery or what?

I also believe that I still have some fistula's and these are rectal/vaginal. I think that I had both colon and rectal/vaginal fistulas because I could feel air coming into my vagina in several places. Tonight we were out with some of my husband's friends who has worked with many of the colon/rectal surgeons in my area. He had some helpful suggestions. I really want to seek out another opinion.

I also feel SO overwhelmed with this continuing for more that two years.

Shelley - take care and keep me posted.

Anita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2004, 04:09 PM

Hi Anita Michelle, No, I have not had rectal burning or itching or anything. Have you seen a colorectal surgeon since your surgery? Good luck and keep me posted.
Unread 05-22-2004, 04:23 PM

Yes, I saw my surgeon a couple of times after surgery - but after mentioning the symptoms that I was experiencing - he became very frustrated and also there where so many inconsistencies in each visit. He just tries bouncing me into everyone else's court.

Once he said maybe he didn't get it all then he said that maybe I have crohn's disease and then the next time he said that maybe I need estrogen cream to thicken the vaginal tissue so that the air and burning would subside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2004, 07:13 PM

Hi Anita Michelle, Your surgeon sounds like a jerk Before you seek a second opinion, you might want to e -mail a woman named Dini Merz who operates a website devoted to rectovaginal fistulas. Her e-mail is "[email protected]". She will help you find a "fistula friend" in your area if possible . She couldn't hook me up with a "fistula friend" as mine was colovaginal . She outlines recommended diagnostic tests , treatment, etc. Let me know if you want more websites. The local women's cancer network sent me a ton of printouts before my surgery. Bowel resections are routine to treat colon cancer so I contacted them. Good luck! Sigmoid Shorty (my DH's pet name for me now)I love his twisted sense of humor--keeps me sane)
Unread 05-23-2004, 07:21 PM

Hi Anita Michelle, I'm expecting the CBC, stool culture and metabolic panel bloodwork results this week and very nervous as my GP said I could have another abscess. I sure hope not! Let you know. SS
Unread 05-23-2004, 07:59 PM

Thanks so much Shelley.

Actually, good idea about contacting Dini. I communicated with her briefly about 2 years ago when this all came about. I might need to contact her again. Also, great idea about contacting the cancer network.

It sounds like my fistula's are colovaginal and also rectovaginal.

Yes, at this point my surgeon is not interested in helping me sort this out - probably because he "missed" something. I need to move on.

Let me know about your test results.

Thanks again Shelley - I sincerely appreciate your help.

Anita
Unread 05-27-2004, 06:34 PM

Hi Anita Michelle, The blood tests were pretty reassuring as my GP said she "strongly believes I do not have an infection." The white cell count is elevated at 11.0 where the normal range is 3.8-10.8 . Looks slightly suspicious to me but we'll see. She ordered an ultrasound 5-26 and it will take a few weeks to get the appointment. I dread doing it, especially drinking all that water when I'm in pain. Last time the technician pushed so hard on my belly to try to get an accurate reading as my ovarian cyst was complex and huge that I was a little black and blue. Hopefully this time will be better. Whatever--I just want to know "what's going on in there" as she says. She and my surgeon agreed that the CT-scan would be a better test but it takes as least two months to schedule so I'll do the ultrasound first. More waiting. I don't know what they suspect could be the cause of my pain. I think they are reluctant to tell me theoretical possibilities as it triggers such overwhelming anxiety for me. At this point I'd rather not know--how unlike me. . Classic PTSD. Any tips for getting through an ultrasound with minimal torture? How are you doing? Been thinking about you. I wish I could give you my phone number . SS
Unread 05-27-2004, 07:01 PM

Hi Shelley -

Thanks for the update. Wow, you have to wait 2 months for a CT Scan? In Minneapolis, you wait a week at the most and less than that in your situaiton. That doesn't seem right that you have to wait when you are in pain. I'm concerned for you. Does your doctor know that they are making you wait that long?

I'm hanging in there. I'm sure I'll end up in urgent care/ER again with a bladder infection. I still feel air coming in vaginally - I am so bummed and just wondering how/when this will end. I just know that they did not get all the fistulas. I was questioning it while I was still in the hospital after the resection - things did not feel right.
Well, if this continues for me they will have to resolve it quick as I've developed a resistance to too many antibiotics. I also feel a great deal of anxiety - and get so consumed by all of this because it's been going on for more that two years and that's not counting the years prior to my hysterectomy and the severe pain from the endometriosis.

I sent an email to Dini Merz yesterday. We'll see if she has any contacts in my area. I'm glad that you mentioned her. I found an email that I received from her nearly two years ago.

Take care, Shelley and keep me posted.

Anita
Unread 06-04-2004, 10:45 PM
colovaginal fistula

Wow!!I feel for all of you! I have recently had lots of bowel problems constipation.diarhea,and lots of left lower pain.I even went to er twice ,with no real diagnoses. I had c-dificil in Dec ,It is a bactirial infection in the colon from an antibiotic.It was terrible!They told me it causes spores in the colon but not to worry cause it should be OK. Well now I have had bleeding vaginal and a dark thick discharge.It started 3 months ago.My doc said it was yeast maybe or she said I had a small cyst on the cuff. Now today I went back and my gyn said I had a fistula!And diverticuli I am having a ct scan on Wed .Will it show a fistula? How do they fix a fistula?I had Hyst May 2001 A c- section,9 abdominal surgeries for cysts and tumors ,endo.Iam really nervous about this!I haven't explaned it to my husband yet I'm not sure how........... Can a colovag fistula cause an infection which could pass to him?
Unread 06-05-2004, 12:18 AM
Glad to have found this...

I am glad to have found this post. My 2nd day of a very odd
experience has me worried what now is wrong.

I am 2 yrs post op from TAH. No major problems till yesterday when I felt the urge to go to bathroom during work.
As I walked to bathroom and then sat down, I noticed
pressure on pelvic floor and like a lump between
my vagina and rectum. It scared me, but I thought maybe
some tissue had been left behind from earilier! Gross, I know,
but hey, it happens! I checked it out and no tissue, but a huge
lump right between the vag/rect area. I freaked out.

After my BM, I felt better, but not completely. I called my
mom when I got home and a nurse/friend, who told me
both the same thing.....maybe my colon fell in that area
or a pouch like....then today...same thing. But only now
I still feel as if some finger or tampon in stuck inside me.
Not painful, but uncomfortable. Friday evening, so I can't
call doctor. Not sure if this is something I wait on, or call
first thing Monday.

I told my husband, to be quite honest, that I felt as if
a turd was trying to come out my vagina! Which of course,
freaked him out then!

I feel now a slight pressure upward into my abdomen as
I sit, and that feeling like a wad of tissue is left behind.
I have no rectal bleeding, pain, swelling. I do have bouts
of constipation/dirahea tho. Gassy and bloated alot too.

Any words of wisdom??
I actually came back to the site wanting to review HRT, and
lack of sex drive, till yesterday and now so glad to see that
this is real, not in my mind.

kaymac

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register