colovaginal fistula post-hysterectomy - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

colovaginal fistula post-hysterectomy colovaginal fistula post-hysterectomy

Unread 07-18-2004, 11:44 AM
colovaginal fistula post-hysterectomy

HOW ARE U DOING NOW??? I HOPE U ARE OK....WHERE U IN PAIN ALL THE TIME AFTER THE HYSTERECTOMY OR THIS WAS A SURPISE COMPLICATION?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2004, 05:04 PM

I had some pain for six months and saw numerous doctors but the pain lifted and I felt great for 3 wonderful weeks until I woke up one morning with poop coming through my vagina. Apparently the infection was brewing since the Tah unbeknownst to all of us.
Unread 07-18-2004, 07:35 PM

Hi Shelley -

How are you doing now? I haven't heard from you in awhile. Did you ever have the CT Scan?

I'm doing much better - but it's taken 6 months from my resection to feel like the fistula's might finally be resolved.

Please let me know how things are going?

Anita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2004, 08:43 PM

I'm so glad you're doing better. I had the CTscan last Tues. and will get the results this Tues. We're all anxious to find out what could be causing my ongoing pain, especially me. I'll let you know. Shelley
Unread 07-23-2004, 08:47 PM

Hi Anita Michelle, The CT-scan was normal. My GP is perplexed by my searing, burning pain, ordered blood tests for all kinds of dread diseases which I'll find out Monday, and referred me to a neurologist, giving me the tentative "diagnosis" of peripheral neuropathy. I've been in shock for a few days but she gave me Neurontin and it does seem to be decreasing my pain from a level 8 or9 to 6 or 7, which makes me VERY HAPPY. Still scared, upset, anxious and worried yet hopeful for the first time in quite awhile. I'll keep you posted. Do you know anything about neuropathy as a possible complication of major abdominal surgery? The onset so closely followed the bowel resection that I can't help but feel there is a connection. Eager to learn all I can and try to figure this out. Hope you're getting better and better. Shelley
Unread 08-13-2004, 07:24 PM

nita Michelle, I don't recall when I last posted, so here goes... After a nagative CT-scan, my Gp put me on Neurontin to take the edge off my number 9 level excruciating pain, suspecting nerve damage from the 2 abdominal surgeries. I'm up to 1200 mg which is still a relatively low dose and thank goodness I am getting some relief. For the first time since Oct. I can sit at the computer without tears rolling down my cheeks. Side effects are profound yet I'll deal with it for the pain relief. I will see a neurologist Sept.2 to try to discover the underlying cause of this debilitating burning pain. Unbelievable. I did e-mail my surgeon from the TAH and she recommended a GYN who does trigger point therapy. I saw her yesterday and bore the torture like the stoic I am while she injected xylocaine through my tender abdomen into the nerves that are the most painful. My husband almost passed out as I screamed, yet I do feel more pain relief so I am hopeful. I will get another treatment Sept. 2. Busy day. She can do a maximum of three and then it's off to the UCSF Pain Management center to learn more. I'm still shakey today yet I feel better than I have since Oct. Talk about feeling burned out. I have been really down , so exhausted. Bad year to be uninsured. I get the scar tissue could be the cause and I want to learn more about treatment for that. Part of me wants to give up, especially as I realize there may be no cure for this. Can't wrap my mind around that yet. It's starting to hurt too much to sit so...Shelley
Unread 08-13-2004, 07:54 PM

Shelley -

I can't believe all that you are going through ! ! ! This is unbelievable. I pray that God will comfort you.

Where do you feel the burning pain? Is it in your abdominal incision area? or is it deeper into your abdomin?

Shelley - please take care. I will pray for you!

Anita
Unread 08-13-2004, 08:36 PM

Hi Anita Michelle, Thank you for your good wishes. The searing, burning pain is deep within my abdomen. When doctors press on the incision it feels fine. Do you know anything about scar tissue difficulties?How are you doing? The relief I feel today may be temporary I was told. Hope I get to keep it. Shelley
Unread 01-03-2005, 07:47 PM
About my fistula

Hi there everyone, My name is Beth I am 43 years old married to a very patient man for 24 years with 3 great boys, and you can read about my fistula experience if you visit this site, just copy and paste it into your browser.....

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...4&goto=newpost

I thought that I had been having a bad time until I started reading all of your problems. I feel so for you all. I can't remember who said that they don't know much medically, well join the club me neither, but I know heaps more than 8 months ago. I do know how they "think" my fistula happened......During surgery because it was so difficult and they had a lot of cutting of adhesions to do they knicked a small whole between my vagina and bowel causing a fistula. They did not pick it up at the time caus the blood suply to that area had been cut off due to adhesions, so because there was no bleeding they thought that they had done it without any trouble. But not so. ANyway 8 months later I still have my little stoma friend and he is behaving really well, so I would like to keep it for as long as it takes for the fistula to heal. God has been my strength through this whole thing. I could not have gotten through this without Him. Well please keep in touch and pray that you will all heal soon and be able to get on with normal life........If we can remember or know what normal is.........:-)
Take care all, love from Beth. (Lavender43)
Unread 01-09-2005, 12:54 PM

Anita Michelle or whomever,
The latest series of neurologists, vascular surgeons,etc. have finally arrived at a diagnosis of sorts though none have a clue about the underlying cause of my severe burning feet pain which began in the hospital during my eight day stay for the colon surgery a year ago. I have severe arterial insufficiency which has resulted in some nerve damage in my toes. They call it "ischemic rest pain" as it's worse when I'm not standing or walking. Anyway, I wonder whether anyone else out there has experienced anything like this. I didn't have it before the surgery and do not have risk factors for developing vascular problems so I'm really curious whether 3 hours with my feet in stirrups during the colon resection could have in any way damaged blood vessels in my feet. I get such bizarre pain syndromes. Thanks in advance.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register