Shaving.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-27-2004, 11:24 PM
Shaving....

I am kind of embarassed about this question, but I really don't know..
I am having TAH on Friday and I am not sure if I need to shave... the bikini area... you know "over there" completly?????
Totally? Or nothing at all.....
Thanks for your answers.....
SANDRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2004, 11:33 PM
Shaving....

They completely shaved me after they knocked me out for surgery. Many women on this site suggest NOT shaving yourself as you may nick yourself leaving the possibility of an infection. If you are really worried about it I would call the dr. and ask but to be on the safe side I would just let them do it. Good luck on Friday!
Unread 04-28-2004, 12:14 AM
Shaving....

I agree with the above reply... call and ask to make sure if this is a concern. If shaving there is not in your normal routine, I probably wouldn't bother with it... they will most likely take care of it for you!

And I do agree hehee, as most of this stuff pertaining to the surgery is... but hey... thats what "sisters" are for, yes? To me , that's one major beauty of this site... no one ever seems to mind answering any question whatsoever and they all do so with much class!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2004, 12:18 AM
Shaving....

I would have to say this is much more than a "suggestion".... please do NOT shave yourself!!! --- unless your dr says it is ok.

some women have had their surgery postponed because of shaving nicks and possible risk of infection.

If the hospital wants you to shave, they'll tell you.
More than likely they will do it for you once you are asleep.

Please do not do anything without talking to your doctor about it.
Unread 04-28-2004, 12:23 AM
Shaving....

Thanks a lot!!! I hope they shave me when I am slepping. It is awful!!! I am so embarassed about that.
And I did not want to do it by myself.
I am so happy I have you guys!!!
Love, SANDRA
Unread 04-28-2004, 01:24 AM
Shaving....

I agree w/the sisters. Ask your doc first.

I went ahead and shaved it all before surgery-then I got to the hosp the morning of the surgery and I "bragged" about it to the surgical nurse (so she wouldn't do it), and to my dismay I found out that she planned to shave my entire belly from the navel down when I was put under anesthesia anyway!

I told the same nurse before surg that I didn't see any hair on my belly, she said "it's just hospital procedure."

Then i've heard from some others that they only got shaved where incision was-different doctors and hospitals differ.

If I had read about infections before my surgery or had known they were gonna shave my belly too, I would've gone ahead and let the nurse do it all !

This is a great website-don't feel embarassed!

I think it's safe to say we have all learned things from other sisters (who like you had the courage to ask) that we were originally embarassed to ask ourselves!

I know I did!

God Bless you and good luck with your surgery!
Amanda Kay
Unread 04-28-2004, 07:19 AM
Shaving....

Hi,

When I had my TAH, they only took about an inch "off the top" and they did it after they put me to sleep, so I never knew a thing about it. Hopefully that will be your experience as well.

s,

Lisa
Unread 04-28-2004, 07:35 AM
Shaving....

My pubic area had a GI Joe cut . Hows that sound LOL ... it regrew pushing the babdage off and it itched terribly regrowing . I had it shaved by a nurse the day before .. and i was awake *BLUSH*

mei
Unread 04-28-2004, 08:01 AM
Thanks for reminding me....

Personally, I would love to be the one to shave myself. I do understand the caution though, nicks and such. So, I am willing to *bare* it for the sake of safety....

But there is one thing I will ask in pre-op...."You are going to use cream or something, right? If so, I may just bring them my own personal bikini area shave gel...re-growth is a *****!

One word of warning....okay, 2 words....DRY SHAVE!

Don't let them do it...find out before hand. If you thought the pain of a hysterectomy might be bad, you won't even notice it if you get a dry shave...OUCH!

Good thread...another thing to put on my list of questions!!

Did I mention that I love this site? You girls are the best!
Unread 04-28-2004, 08:19 AM
Shaving....

They had to dyr shave me with powder because the foam soaps and such they have in hospitals dont agree with me .. i get contact dermatitis

mei

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register