Anyone have Stage 1 OVCA? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone have Stage 1 OVCA? Anyone have Stage 1 OVCA?

Unread 04-28-2004, 09:33 AM
Anyone have Stage 1 OVCA?

I have stage 1B(both ovaries) grade 2 ovca and am in this grey area regarding chemo. My gyn-onc said at first I would have to do chemo and now sites a study that shows treatment with chemo is not effective at this stage. I am more on the alternative medicine side and am terrified, literally terrified of chemo and what the long term side effects are. I know everyone feels this way, and I not special. No one looks forward to chemo. I am gathering information and it would be so helpful to talk to any other women who have this stage of cancer. I also had Stage 1A adenocarcinoma of the cervix two years ago and have the mucinous adenocarcinoma ovarian tumor type.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2004, 10:37 AM
Hiya

Yes i had stage 1a grade 1 ovca and i had no further treatment. The decision was also finally confirmed by a Professor of Ovarian Cancer. If you want any further info please feel free to PM me.

Take care
Sheila
Unread 04-28-2004, 04:19 PM

I don't know, I may be wrong, but I remember my oncologist telling me that all stages of ovarian cancer are treated the same way with taxol and carboplatin.

I had stage 3 so I really did not have a decision to make as to do the chemo or not. I wanted to live and enjoy life so my decision was made for me.

However, this is your only chance to really blast any cancer cells that are lingering. If it were me, I would go for the chemo because I would never be able to forgive myself if it came back due to no treatments.

Keep us up to date.
Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2004, 08:01 PM

I had IA grade 1 ovca and was told chemo was optional. I did have chemo although I did postpone it for a few months. Other than hair loss, it wasn'r such a biggie for me - but I am youngish (40s), healthy and had a great support system

Dorrie
Unread 04-28-2004, 10:41 PM

I had Stage 1C grade 1 ovca. I did three rounds of taxol/carbo. I did not have a choice. My CA 125 went from just under 300 presurgery to 21 just before the third treatment to 4.8 three months out of chemo. You don't say if you have had a CA125 and if that is a good marker for you. I would go with the chemo if you are in the gray area to make sure that all of that cancer is gotten rid of and while it is still early stage.

Take Care
Unread 04-28-2004, 10:59 PM
CA 125

This is something I don't quite understand yet. My CA 125 was 44 I think. My gyn/onc said this was not a good indicator for me because I was pre-menopausal. It is also not a good marker for mucinous adenocarcinoma. There is another one I have been reading about p35 or p53 or something like that. Does anybody have experience with this as a marker for mucinous adenocarcinoma??
Unread 04-29-2004, 03:29 AM
Hiya

Have you looked at the John Hopkins website on ovca? It is very specific for treatment for stage 1 ovca. Also please look at the UK cancer research website on ovca. Apart from the staging that you are given the GRADE is also extremely important and will make all the difference when your oncologist is discussing chemo with you. In my opinion it is quite wrong to say that all stage 1's must have chemotherapy. There is a big difference between a stage1a and stage 1c especially if you have a grade2 tumour. My oncologist did tell me that if i had been a stage1b grade 2 i would have been offered chemo (studies show that it makes no difference at this stage and grade so its how the individual feels) or alternatively if i had been a stage1a grade 2 i would have been offered chemotherapy as well. Stage 1c would have had chemotherapy. I hope this helps and hasnt confused you even more.

Unread 04-29-2004, 05:19 PM

Hi Electraclaudia,

I have stage 2B ovarian cancer and had surgery on Jan14/04 -both ovaries removed and large tumour from uterus to rectum. My oncologist advised I need 6 treatments of chemo -as of today I'm still not doing it. Everyone here on the site have advised me to do it -to be safe not sorry. I haven't ruled it out yet,but I had a PET scan in March that showed light activity where I had the largest tumour but it also showed activity on my incisions and in my spine (where needle was inserted for morphoine) -these activities are due to surgical healing. My doctor advised me to have another scan in June -in order to compare the results since he can't be sure if it's surgical healing everywhere or if there is some residual cancer, he also warned me that the scan will not show one cancer cell alone (only clusters) and it only takes one cell to start the cancer going again. I, too, am petrified of all the side effects (some permanent) that he mentioned about the chemo . All the sisters are supportive and encouraging - I am not that strong. I decided to wait for the next scan and see what the results show before I decide on chemo. My CA125 has been normal (last test this week was at 6.5). I have started getting major pains where my ovaries were and near my rectum, my doctor prescribed morphine and an ultrasound showed no masses or fluids. I can relate to how you feel, I'm so afraid that this one cell will come back to haunt me -people tell me to kill the bugger now -but what if he's really not there and I'll do the chemo for nothing. My body is still recovering from the surgery (my doc says I'm a slow healer) -I'm not sure I'm helping you here. I have read that if there was proper debaulking during surgery, the chemo is not neccessary. But no one can actually know that since cancer cells are not visible to the eye (only a PET scan can detect cancer cells). Good luck on whatever decision you take. For now, I'm waiting for that scan in June and then I'll decide.
Unread 04-29-2004, 08:40 PM

I had originally been told I had Stage IA Uterine Cancer and Stage IC Ovarian Cancer. Then, after six weeks and a review of my pathology slides by pathologists at Ireland Cancer Center -- and another review by Stanford University Cancer Center, it was determined that my diagnosis was LMP for the Ovarian Cancer. I did not require chemo for the uterine cancer because it was contained within the uterus and considered "cured." I was to have six treatments of taxol and carboplatin for the Stage IC Ovarian Cancer, but that was unnecessary. I do, however, see my Gyn on a very regular basis. The first two years post-op, I was told by the Gyn-Onc to see my Gyn every three months. Then, I was told to see him once every six months for the next 10 years. It will be four years in early June that I had my surgery and I am still doing ok. The doc never asked me if I wanted the chemo or not--I would have said "not." I did plan on asking him at the second appt. what would happen if I said no to chemo. I didn't have to ask him that question because he told me I didn't need it before I had an opportunity to ask him about it.
I also had mucinous tumors and was also told that CA-125 was not a good biomarker for me. I have never had one--pre-op or post-op. My surgery was done because of heavy bleeding and the possibility of uterine cancer. My doc said it was good I had the surgery then because OVCA usually shows up in later stages when the prognosis is not as good.

My suggestion: If you are unsure, you should get another opinion. It is your life, but you owe it to yourself to make an informed decision. We are not doctors here, but patients. What one person decides for herself is not right for everyone.
Unread 04-30-2004, 09:55 AM

I had Stage IB endometrial cancer, and Stage IC ovarian cancer in the right ovary. The ovarian cancer was a surprise. It did not show up on an ultrasound or CT scan. It was microscopic at that point, no tumor. My CA125 pre-surgery was 16, then dropped to 11 after surgery. At first it was considered a 1A, but then on a second look, cancer cells were found in the abdominal washings, so it was changed to IC.

I was given a choice to do chemo or not. Frankly, I didn't want to. I got a second opinion and was told that there was a 50% chance of recurrence if I didn't have chemo. That scared me. I am very into alternative medicine and asked my acupuncturist her opinion. She said if it were her, she would have chemo without hesitation. So I went ahead and had three treatments of Taxol and Carboplatin. It wasn't a picnic, but it was also very doable.

That was a year and a half ago and I'm doing fine. I didn't take any herbs or supplements during the chemo, but did have acupuncture twice a week. Once chemo was over, I took Chinese herbs and supplements to rebuild my blood and immune system.

Get a second or even third opinion, and follow your heart. You know what is best for you. As is often said here, make the decision you will regret the least.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register