Today I am 49- Monday I begin Radiation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Today I am 49- Monday I begin Radiation Today I am 49- Monday I begin Radiation

Unread 04-29-2004, 12:48 AM
Today I am 49- Monday I begin Radiation

Hiya Sistahs!

This is my first post-lurker no more-and I can't tell you what a God send this site has been. In fact a friend gave me the Hyster Sisters book for my birthday. I had a TAH on March 16th and am Stage 1 cancer. So it's off to Radiation on Monday!
I'm a bit scared, but really trying to think positive and live my life one day at a time. Really I just wanted to tell you all how much I appreciate you, and thank you for the big sister advice. Very much appreciated.

Becky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2004, 04:27 AM

Hi Becky,

This site really is a God send knowing that so many people have gone thru similiar things. I did not find it till a couple of months post-op.

I was 43 when I started radiation and have just celebrated my one year anniversary since treatment.I had 25 external and 1 internal. The radiation is totally doable.

Best of Luck
Unread 04-29-2004, 10:36 AM

Hi Becky - Happy Birthday!!

I started my preventative radiation following TAH/BSO last week. I have had 5 external and 2 internal so far, out of a total of 25 external and 3 internal. I have had no problems so far. I understand that IF (many people have NO side effects at all) you have side effects they don't usually start until about 2 weeks into the radiation. The side effects depend on where your radiation is. Mine could be bladder or bowel and tiredness. I'm prepared for side effects--cranberry juice chilling in fridge and Imodium in medicine chest. However, I'm not anticipating any side effects; I plan on everything going just as well as my surgery and recovery have gone so far. When I go to radiation every day I (silently) talk to the radiation machine - I say "Hi, friend! Thank you for helping me!" After a few conversations with the machine the time is up and I'm done for the day. Then I go back to work with the sunroof up and the windows down and enjoy the ride, knowing that everything possible is being done for me to live as long and as well as I would want! It's so important, Becky, that we keep a sense of humor and optimism during all our treatments. And look at it this way, your birthday is an awesome day to start life-saving measures!! Take care! Carol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2004, 08:30 PM

Happy Birthday, Becky! Congratulations on starting this new year cancer free!

Good luck with your radiation treatment. I'm sure you'll do fine. I had lots of side effects with the radiation but, in retrospect, hey, I survived.

It's all good. God bless.
Unread 04-29-2004, 08:52 PM

One year ago today I was diagnosed with cancer. I had radiation, internal and external, and chemo. I am now cancer free and can honestly say that my life is better now than it was pre cancer.

You'll be fine too, better than fine!

Hugs,
Janie
Unread 04-29-2004, 09:07 PM

Well, Happy Birthday--and welcome aboard! I hope your radiation experience is painless and positive.

Valarie
Unread 04-29-2004, 09:35 PM

Dear Becky,
happy birthday!

Reading this from Carol makes me so happy:
  Quote:
When I go to radiation every day I (silently) talk to the radiation machine - I say "Hi, friend! Thank you for helping me!" After a few conversations with the machine the time is up and I'm done for the day.
I wish I'd thought of conversing with the machine ! I talked to the stray cells instead, and to the radiation "rays," asking the "bad" cells to go away and the healthy cells to stay safe, and asking the "rays" to make sure of that. Sometimes I included God and/or Jesus (I get mixed up about Whom I'm supposed to be praying to...).

Healing is the best birthday present of all!

Welcome to hystersisters, and happy healing!
Love,
=empresse
Unread 05-01-2004, 10:26 AM

Hello again!

Thank you all for the kind posts.
I just love the idea of talking to the machine. That is what I'm going to do! After all- It's hard to avoid! I had my last films taken on Thursday and told my friends the machine andd I were being "formally intorduced" at that time.

And you're right! I can survive this too! I will I will!

Thank you again-
Becky
Unread 05-01-2004, 07:45 PM

Hi Becky,

Happy Birthday and welcome to Hystersisters.

I hope that you have a very easy time with the radiation. Just think of all those nasty little cancer cells that it will be zapping away.

Rosalie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register