More questions on Ovarian Cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

More questions on Ovarian Cancer More questions on Ovarian Cancer

Unread 04-29-2004, 02:57 PM
More questions on Ovarian Cancer

Hi everyone--I have some more questions on Ovarian Cancer. My Aunt went for Chemo again today. She already finished a clinical trial last October. Today was her fourth treatment of doxil. The doctor told her that her CA125 count is continuing to rise despite the treatments. She has been having trouble with going to the bathroom, having alot of pain. The doctor told her that the pain was the cancer.She asked if they could take it out and he said that they couldn't. What is going on? Does anyone know why they would continue to do the Chemo if it isn't working. Why can't they go in and take the cancer out if it is in her bowel? Am I missing something????? Has this happened to anyone else? Is this considered Mets to the bowel. What are her chances now? Thanks for your ears!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2004, 03:56 PM

Hi, Samantha.

I wish I had some good answers for you, but I don't. I don't recall from your earlier posts. Did your aunt already have surgery? Where in the bowel is her tumor?

A few people on this board had a tumor that can not be removed. I think this does happen sometimes.

I seem to recall hearing that with Doxil, CA125 numbers sometimes rise at the beginning of treatment and then go back down. But your aunt's doctor will know more about that.

In some cases, despite best effrots, people are chemo-resistant. There was a wonderful lawyer that I met one day in my chemo room who had chemo resistant ovarian cancer. I sent her an e-mail but never heard back. A month later, I asked my nurse about her, and she had apparently passed on. But she had a very difficult type of ovarian cancer to treat -- one that does not readily respond to treatment. And she had been fighting for a long time.

There are a number of things your aunt can do to minimize her pain.

First off, painkillers are usually constipating. So if your aunt is on chemo, which is also constipating, then taking pain killers might exacerbate the situation.

Second, I found that walking really helped bring up my energy level and bring down my pain. The more I walked, the better I felt. I didn't want to walk anywhere because I was in so much pain from the chemo. But my dad, a doctor, literally forced me. My first walk? Down the driveway and back. That is as far as I could go. It makes my eyes filled with tears just to think about it. But every day I could go a bit further, and every day it helped me to feel better, and helped my pain to go away. It's hard, but . . . tell her to try.

Third, there are some supplements that have helped lessen pain for certain individuals. I can't say they necessarily will work for everybody. But the one that has been studied is maitake mushroom with D-fraction, manufactured by Grifron. It has helped some Stage 4 people get out of wheelchairs. MGN3, which I do not take, is also proving to be helpful for some people.

You might want to consult with a nutritionist who specializes in dealing with people with cancer to see what ideas they might have. Accupuncture, which I have not personally tried, has also proven very helpful to a great many people in the young adults cancer support group that I attend.

The thing with chemo is that if cancer is stubborn or recurs, the doctor must try another chemo. And sometimes, it takes a few treatments to know whether something is or isn't working.

I'm sorry that this is so frustrating for you and your aunt. You sound like a wonderful niece! I hope you can help your aunt get moving and try some complementary alternative things to help with pain management. If at all possible, she should up her green vegetable intake and lower her sugar intake. Those two things are universally recommended by every nutritionist who works with people who have cancer.

s!
Unread 04-29-2004, 04:04 PM

She had her surgery last April. They said that she still had some cancer on her abdominal wall. Anyway, they never did any test to prove that she does have a tumor in her bowel. The doctor just told her she is having the pain because of the cancer. She had a CT done in Jan or Feb and it came back negative. Thanks for you insight. God Bless.
Samantha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2004, 07:49 AM

Dear Samantha,

I agree with SirenSong. Exercise for me was the best medicine. I started walking when I got home from the hospital. First jaunt was out my apartment door to the outside door, it wasn't far but took me forever and hurt like crazy but after that I went further each day till I was walking up a hill that I couldn't manage before my surgery. Also the pain meds and chemo may be constipating her. I know when I have my chemo I start eating lots of fiber 2 days before and that has helped me quite alot. I get alot of abdominal pain from my chemo and finally found a great web site that explains what causes the pain and how to help relieve it. Here is the link to it

http://www.chemocare.com/managing/fu...536&itype=1875[/url]

Here is another web site I found that may help you. It is about pain and cancer

http://cancer-pain.org/

Also I think your aunt needs to pin that doctor down and ask him to be more specific in what is going on. It is her body and she has a right to know.

Your Auntie is very lucky to have a wonderful niece like you who cares so much. I hope she feels better soon and gets some answers. The women on this board are wonderful and also very knowledgable. Come back and let us know how your aunt is doing.

Bertha

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register