cancer comes back so soon??? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

cancer comes back so soon??? cancer comes back so soon???

Unread 04-30-2004, 05:23 PM
cancer comes back so soon???

I am glad your Dr visit today was more reassuring. I also have a Dr who is very skilled and nice, but just has a negative "Eyeore" personality. My other Dr, just as skilled is more of a Tigger ( although he is shaped liked Winnie the Pooh!) Enjoy your weekend and Mondays good results with the go ahead will be here soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2004, 05:25 PM

I am glad that it was that you are still healing. That rad/onc doc should have looked a little better before saying anything.

I guess they just don't understand how going thru all this affects a person, unless they have went thru it themselves.

And it seems as though the "good" doctors have "bad" bedside manners.
Unread 05-01-2004, 10:13 AM

Quote:
However, when he wasimplanting fake seeds for calculation purposes he told me that they would sting. The first one really stung, the second one was hardly noticeable. My tract started to bleed some. He was telling me that if you did not feel it there could be cancer.
Okay...is this the part of prep for internal radiation where they put slivers (of gold, in my case) wayyy up into your vagina?

My doc told me it was going to feel like a pinch. And instead, it felt like someone just rammed an X-Acto knife up in there. He did NOT say anything about cancer. He said mine had probably hurt so much "because of still being so tender up in there." I'd had some infection recently and wasn't quite completely healed inside.

First off, as other sisters have said, he had NO business blurting out some kind of snap Dx that would scare the pajamas off anyone. Secondly, I'm not sure that his info is true. My doc expected me not to feel much. He said nothing about lack of feeling being a sign of cancer.

Maybe 6 weeks post-op is "soon" to start radiation, but it seems to be pretty standard timing. That's when they started my radiation, anyway. Since everyone heals at a different rate, I'd imagine that 6 weeks is when 'most' who will be getting internal radiation are healed enough to get those 'seeds' implanted without pain.

I'm really, reallly glad to hear that your ob/gyn saw nothing suspicious. As known2B said, it certainly seems awfully early for anything to have had a chance to show up especially something that could be seen. I mean, the rad doc did say that he " saw cancer," right? Hmpfh, is what I say. I'd trust the gyn on this one.

May all your doctors treat you with sensitivity and respect!
Much love,
=empresse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2004, 01:25 PM

empresse....The way I understood it....these "seeds" were things that the rad/onc uses to calculate the external radiation plan. He said these were for a reference point. I was told that 2 weeks after my external radiation is complete I will be put in the hospital for a couple of days to do the internal radiation. My rad/onc did say cancer and at that point I asked him point blank,"Do you see cancer?" He said yes. Later he said it might be because you are still healing. But I was still hearing that he saw cancer. Thank goodness for my ob/gyn and you lovely ladies.....ya'll seem to be the only ones that seem to have a balanced outlook on things.

I am truly blessed!
Unread 05-02-2004, 12:57 AM

KM,
Glad to hear that your ob/gyn was reassuring, but don't you see a gyn/oncologist? Isn't he supervising your treatment?

I had external radiation and then 3 days in the hospital for internal radiation but I didn't have the seed things that you describe, so I have no knowledge of how that feels. My external rads were all mapped externally and I was out when they put in the internal.

I am sorry you are going through all this. I know how overwhelming it is. Once you get started on radiation it won't seem quite as bad. Mark off the days and celebrate every milestone.

Hugs,
Janie
Unread 05-02-2004, 09:01 AM

Well -
If it is (big if it is) cancer. They can zap it with radiation. Infact my rad/onc. said that had I gone to his hosital first they may have treatment my endocervical adenocarcinoma with radiation only. I was stage 1b and you can have surgery or radiation or both.

Again if it is at least they know where it is and they can zap it.
It is better to know where it is than not to know so that they can target that area.

Good luck tomarrow!!!
Unread 05-03-2004, 01:11 PM

Thanks to all of you for your support.....

I heard from my ob/gyn this morning...he told me the biopsy had come back like he thought....there was no cancer just granular tissue.....He was going to call my rad/onc with the news.
Unread 05-03-2004, 01:36 PM

That is wonderful news! Now you can breathe a bit easier, summon strenght for the treatments. Shame on that Dr/ for worrying you unnecessarily.
Unread 05-03-2004, 06:06 PM
Great News

I have had a scare after my treatment. It turned out to be mild dysplasia and the doctor is not worried at this time.

I know what you are experiencing. You think "what next?"

I am so happy that you are ok.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register