Effexor and hot flashes | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Effexor and hot flashes Effexor and hot flashes

Unread 04-30-2004, 09:42 AM
Effexor and hot flashes

Hi.
Anyone taking Effexor to try and contol hot flashes? I was just wondering how long it takes to start working? I have been taking it for a couple weeks, but haven't seen any real improvement. Because of cancer it is really the only option the doctors would suggest. Anyone successfully using it?

Thanks,

Judy

P.S. I just recently finished chemo (4 sessions), and I am still going thru external radiation (about half done 13 of 28). I have internal radiation (3) to look forward to. So that may make a difference on how well the drug works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2004, 08:17 PM
Hi Judy

I have been using Effexor for almost a year for hot flashes due to surgical menopause. I was dx with endometrial cancer stage 1a. My gyn suggested that I not use hrt for the lst two years....I initially used Celexa 20mg for the flashing, but the flashing continued so my gyn prescribed Effexor 37.5 mg for two weeks and then 75mg.....I am currently back to using the 37.5 mg. It does help my flashing, but does not take it away all together. The only thing I dont like about it is side effects from skipped dosages. If I forget to take the pill for a couple of days I get very dizzy, almost feel like my body is buzzing.....it is really weird....so needless to say I try not to forget to take it.....Some woman on the site reported that they had stomach upset and headache for a week or two when initially taking it, but I didnt have any of that.
I hope this helps....Good luck. Chris
Unread 05-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Effexor and hot flashes

I have been on Effexor since 1/04. Unterine cancer stage 1a also. No HRT offered due the cancer and sisters breast cancer. The hot flashes do not go away altogether, but I function very well. Only seem to have real bad ones just as I am ready to go sleep at nite. I don't reccomend skipping doses, as that can be more harmful to your everyday well being. My sister also takes it and calls it her happy pill! I wouldn't go that far, but I find that I am not as stressful as I use to be. Don't know if is from the pills, or I just change my way thinking, now that I have been diagnosed with cancer. This type of diagnosis sort of changes the way you look at life and handle things. Most things are trivial compared to the cancer. I am doing great 4 1/2 months post op. Never felt so good! Maybe it is the pills!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2004, 04:36 PM
Effexor and hot flashes

My DR said no to HRT, and I really didn't understand why, until reading from you guys. I had a TAH for endo cancer, 1A, and for the past month, hot flashes, depression, mood swings, sleepness nights are about to get to me.

I'm reading everyones replys about Effexor. Does this help with depression?
Unread 05-07-2004, 01:29 PM
Effexor

Hi,
I was given Effexor mainly for depression during my chemo. felt very goo dn it...but..hot flashes still came. Then after my chemo i began to itch intensely all over and my body would get covered with hives. I finally decided to quit the Effexor because i was sleepy all of the time and hungry!!! Well, going off a timed release pill is tough, but when it was all over i was no longer tired,hungry all of the time or itchy!!! It turns out I was allergic to the Effexor! My hot flashes are no different than before...quite manageable. I think our docs give us these things hoping we won't complain...LOL. It's good if it works for you, otherwise...the H*** with it.
Love, Sally
Unread 05-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Effexor and hot flashes

Hi Sally, that must have been a tough one, being allergic to Effexor. Sorry to hear you had that problem. I've been trying to talk with others about getting on something for depression, and will probably call my DR Monday to see if he will give me anything. The hot flashes are somewhat managable, but this depression.........my family just doesn't understand why I am distancing myself from them.......I want to be alone all the time, and just stay in bed. This is not like me, and I want to get over it. Maybe if I can just take something to get me over this hump.

Sometimes I'm feeling okay, and them all of a sudden I get this feeling in the pit of my stomach. I can't explain how I feel. Are there others that feel this way? Am I normal or truly going crazy?

I look forward everyday to coming home and checking my e-mail and getting on this site. It's about the only place I have found were I feel like there are others that do understand.

Thanks for all the encouragement.
Unread 05-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Effexor and hot flashes

Don't worry, you are not going crazy, even if it seems like it! I am a very positive person, but since my surgery a year ago I have been very private,etc. And you are right, not too many people understand what we are going through. I promise you it does get better, but it will never be the same. I am no way the same person that i was before i found out I had OVCA. But, in alot of ways i am also a much better person. I try very hard now not to get hung up on the day to day dramas that are life. I wish you well and there are tons of antidepressants out there...Effexor is a very good one too. I just happened to have an adverse reaction t it...I have trouble with alot of different drugs.

Love, Sally
Unread 05-07-2004, 08:13 PM
Effexor and hot flashes

Hi all,

I have taken Effexor for about 4 years in a low dose for hot flashes brought on by taking tamoxifen for breast cancer. I thought I was crazy, but I too got dizzy if I forgot to take a dose. I only got up to 37.5 and it raised my blood pressure. I weaned myself down to 12.5 (the orange pill cut in half) and it seems to work the same for me. However, if I try to go off it completely, I do get dizzy and anxious.

I kinda got off track, but it have worked pretty well for me and hot flashes.

Cheers

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register