Personal "relations" questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Personal "relations" questions Personal "relations" questions

Unread 05-01-2004, 08:19 AM
Personal "relations" questions

Hi Sisters,

I am having LAVH on May 17. I have hpv, polycyctic ovarian disease (I look 5-6 months pregnant from cycsts on my ovaries right now), swelling of the uterus, and possible stage 0 cancer on my cervix. Before I knew I was going to the castle and thought my cervix was going to be O.K. (my dr told me my pap was good, later finding out the cells were changing again), I broke up with my boyfriend due to several factors.

It has now been 6 months and we are talking about getting back again. I never thought we would ever be together or that I would ever be with anyone else. Anyway, we had "relations" two times. The first time was great, a little uncomfortable towards the end, but pretty great. Then came the next day. Oh, I forgot how much pain I could feel during those special moments. I HATE feeling like I just want him to get it over with.

My questions to you ladies:

1. When can we resume physical activity?
2. Did the pain go away after your visit to the castle?
3. Did you wait longer than what the dr required?
4. When did you feel O.K. to "satisfy" your loved one without compromising your physical comfortability?
5. How was your desire after the LAVH?

I would appreciate anyone's experiences and thoughts. I have to say, I am beginning to get nervous about visiting the talior. I fear nothing is going to be any better, or a new set of issues will arise. After being with someone for 4 years, I have to say I equate sex and pain. I really want that to change.

Thanks for listening.

Big
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2004, 10:55 AM
Personal "relations" questions

I had my LAVH 2 years ago. My uterus and cervix were removed, I kept both ovaries.

I will answer your questions by sharing my personal experience.

Although the external incisions are smaller with a LAVH there is still plenty of internal work done. Some surgeries can be more extensive than others. The initial recovery period for a LAVH is still about 6-8 weeks. I was about 4-5 months post-op when I finally felt back to "normal". I was cleared to resume all activities (exercise, tub baths, sex, housework) at 6 weeks post-op.

Your questions:

1. When can we resume physical activity?

You can resume sex when your doctor does an internal exam and makes sure your vaginal cuff is completely healed - typically about 6 weeks post-op.

2. Did the pain go away after your visit to the castle?

I had horrible pain, cramps, and backaches prior to my surgery. After surgery I had pain from the actual surgery but by 6-8 weeks post-op I was feeling pretty good. By 5 months post-op I felt great and did nothave the problems I was having prior to surgery.

3. Did you wait longer than what the dr required?

Once I was cleared to resume activities I slowly and gradually went back to my normal routine. With sex we made sure we took our time - it helped for me to be on top at first so I could control the penetration. Make sure you have plenty of lubrication - if you do not have enought natural librication have some K-Y or similar product on hand. Some ladies are cleared at 6 weeks post-op to resume sex but wait a few more weeks until they feel comfortable and ready to resume relations. Take your time - just do not have sex until your doctor clears you.

4. When did you feel O.K. to "satisfy" your loved one without compromising your physical comfortability?

I am assuming you are takling about "outercourse" prior to actual intercourse. NOTHING can go into the vagina until your doctor clears you. By about 3 weeks post-op my DH and I would cuddle and "make out" - made us feel like virgins dating for the first time again. Before you have ANY sexual activity, including "petting" you should talk to your doctor. If your doctor says it's ok you could be creative and take care of your partner's "needs".

5. How was your desire after the LAVH?

Once my body fully healed my desire was great - I kept both ovaries and I had norhormonal changes. If you do not keep your ovaries there can be hormonal changes with can change your desire. If you do not keep your ovaries you should talk to your doctor about the hormone changes and discuss what your options are for HRT.

Hope I helped answer some of your questions. I will be praying that your surgery goes well. Come and visit us in the Post-op Forum after surgery to let us know how you are doing.

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register