Endometrial Ablation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometrial Ablation Endometrial Ablation

Unread 05-02-2004, 04:20 PM
Endometrial Ablation

I am a newbie who is awaiting the results of my tissue biopsy I had last week. I have had very clotty and flooding periods for a few years. I was taking Lupron for a few months but unfortunately the periods returned heavier and clottier. I had
an ultrasound and the biopsy. My doc is suggesting a surgical procedure called an endometrial ablation. I was wondering if any one knows any friend or family member that has had this????

So far no date scheduled or firm decision as we are waiting for lab results.

Thanks for your help,

Bebe 1195
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2004, 04:31 PM
Endometrial Ablation

Bebe, I think I had this procedure, and I am very, very glad I did. I highly recommend it, if it's the same one. I had bad periods for a long time and I just couldn't take the 6 weeks off for a hysterectomy at the time, so I did the baloon ablation. My uterus was 12cm in size, and the doc could not guarantee the results because she had never done it on one so large. But it was successful. Out-patient procedure, I woke up feeling like my insides were burning, because that's what they do, is burn out the lining of the uterus. It hurt very badly right when I woke up, but from there the pain got less and less, and I went home at 2pm. By 7:00 the same day, I didn't need any pain medication. I could have gone to work the next day. I didn't bleed again until about 3 months later when a dam broke inside me and I bled like never before. It was extreme bleeding. But then it became a normal (as in young woman normal) period, and from then on out my periods were only 3 days long and I used maybe 8 tampons for each cycle. It was fabulous. I don't regret it. I'm having my hysterectomy now, but I thank God and my surgeon for 4 years of normal periods. Really normal. As in, not interfering with my life anymore. Ahhhh....
Unread 05-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Endometrial Ablation

Hi,

At age 38 I had endometrial ablation done because I had some fibroids which were causing painful periods and heavy bleeding. The ablation removed the lining of the uterus and most of the fibroids but the fibroids had already grown deep into the wall of my uterus so I knew there was a good chance I may have to have a hysterectomy someday. After the ablation I had no pain or bleeding for over a year but gradually the bleeding and pain did come back. I had my hysterectomy (LAVH) about 2 years ago at age 41 - my uterus and cervix were removed, I kept both ovaries.

Whether or not the ablation will work depends on what is causing your problems. Fibroids can come back. If you should also have adenomyosis (where abnormal endometrial tissue has infiltrated the muscular wall of the uterus) the only thing that might help would be a hysterectomy.

Here is a link about ablation that you may find helpful:

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2001/601_tech.html

HysterSisters is an awesome site for resources. I would encourage you to thoroughly check out all the resources and even get a second doctor's opinion to help you decide what would work best for you.

Sending S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Endometrial Ablation

Here's a link that may prove helpful.

http://pub76.ezboard.com/bendometrialablationboard

I was thinking of putting this on another thread where someone asked about ablation but by the time I got around to digging the link out of my Bookmarks, that post had gone to the back pages. Since you've asked again, here goes, and I hope that other hystersister sees this.

I looked into endometrial ablation, also for control of very heavy periods. Right now my periods are at a manageable level with oral contraceptives, and I am looking at having a Mirena IUD placed to control them for 5 years at at time without having to remember to take a pill every night. My gyn suggested the Mirena as one alternative, and when I asked, which did he consider safer over the long run, he said the IUD. However, as I was looking for more info online I read somewhere that the Mirena is not for women who've never been pregnant. I sent my gyn an email asking for more info about that but no response so far. If the IUD is ruled out for me I might try a progesterone-releasing ring. I think you have to replace these weekly so they're not a "set and forget" like the IUD, but weekly is better than daily. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. Even daily is better than "rivers of blood" <g>. The IUD or ring are supposed to cause fewer side effects, I think because since the progesterone is delivered at or close to the site of action instead of having to survive in the digestive system and travel through the bloodstream, the dose needed to produce the wanted effect is much smaller with the ring or IUD than when taken orally.

But to get back to your question, this site is 99 & 54/100% about ablation. One section I think you may find particularly informative is where the women who have had ablation report month-by-month what results they are having. There is one thread in there with a woman who was not a candidate for ablation had a Mirena inserted, and her results--that's the 46/100% that isn't ablation, but there have been people ask about the Mirena too, myself among them, so they will probably be interested in that section too.

Hope it helps,
cookie1956

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register