April Challenge Wrap-Up 5/3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > B.E.S.T.-(Better Eaters Support Team)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

April Challenge Wrap-Up  5/3 April Challenge Wrap-Up 5/3

Unread 05-03-2004, 11:28 AM
April Challenge Wrap-Up 5/3

The April Challenge has come n gone. Congratulations to all who finished the April Challenge! For simply finishing is an accomplishment in itself! I hope you all can look back on your commitment and efforts and say you gave it your all!

I was disappointed with this past months results compared to February. Now I know the challenge was a bit more confusing not being as focused sorry bout that. But I did see there was a lot of justification going on as to why we were not OP. What’s that get you in the long run?

To those who struggled, did you bite off more than you can chew? (hmmm, bad analogy eh?) I suppose the key is to not expect perfection from yourselves 100% of the time, much less overnight. Keeping goals realistic, in my opinion is key. In doing this you can successfully attain your goal, which in turn inspires you to keep striving for more goals.

We all picked a challenge lever we thought was manageable, but for many of us it was not. What’s that mean? Are you not really as OP as you think you are, so your challenge was really too difficult? Was it difficult to react to monkey wrenches thrown into a day? Does the honor system not work for you? Did you just not care?

If you fall into that last category, then we need to give you extra hugs. Anything else and perhaps you’ve discovered what you really need to work on in order to be successful at your ultimate goal of leading a healthier lifestyle.

So … April Challengers, How’d you do?

BSQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2004, 11:47 AM

What I learned from the April Challenge

That eating OP is still my most difficult challenge. If I am totally focused on it, I do fine. I did fine during the nutrition week for the days I committed to it. But the rest of the days? Simply put, I was not focused on me. During the course of the challenge I gained 3lbs but lost an inch. I really just didn’t give it my all. I knew I was going on like this during the entire month. Now I could go into an I don’t care mode and keep on ignoring myself … but I do care.

1. I learned I needed to get out of a rut.
So I rang up my nutritionist and worked through a new approach. I’m eating differently, and I haven’t figured out if I like it or not, but I know I’m not hungry and I know I’m not eating a bunch of junk. (guess I should like it then, right?)

2. I learned I really really hate belly dancing music! Aside from the music it’s a fun class. I continue to take the classes at the gym because well, see the first thing I learned.

3. I learned (well already knew but gotta keep my theme here), that going on auto pilot just doesn’t work for me yet. But know it will one day.

I completed the challenge successfully at the Off the Richter level. A good accomplishment to be sure … but I know I did not give it my all. I did what needed to be done to get by. Getting by doesn't cut it for me ... changes are on my horizion.

BSQ
Unread 05-03-2004, 06:33 PM

I did the OTR level for the first three weeks of the challenge.

Despite having to rearrange menus at the last minute due to crockpot disaster and unexpected three days away from home - I succeeded at all three challenges.

I did not do the last week of the challenge because of a bad bout of the flu.

What I learned from the first week's challenge is that planning menus in advance, sticking to them and eating OP has become lifestyle to me. The last time I "cheated with my own permission" and ate something not OP to me was in Dec when I had half a piece of birthday cake for my birthday.

The exercise challenge week was no problem either. I don't even think about it at this point - I get up, dress in exercise clothes and do my 8MMs, bike and walk before breakfast six days a week. Minimum 38 minutes a day, usually over an hour. Again - it has become lifestyle to me. For extra credit I started running the last part of my walk - but this only lasted Mon and Tues, by Wed I was sick and walking was an effort - no way I could run...

I accomplished the hydration challenge but it WAS a challenge. I had to constantly remind myself to drink. In the summer when it's hot I have no problem getting the water down and when it was cold I drank a lot of decaf tea - but now with temps of seventy or so I'm having a lot of problem getting that liquid down. I need to figure a way to make this become lifestyle.

Me time is something I have always tried to afford myself as I know what happens to my relationship with others if I don't have any. It was a challenge the week our DgS was here and DH was sick but I managed to sneak a few minutes in.

The challenge made me pay attention to the little MOs I get almost daily. Everything from the looks of people I haven't seen in a while to how good I feel going thru my closet and packing up the too big clothes. One of my favorites was the other day when DH told me how different my body feels now when we hug. The MOs are a very big part of what keeps me going.

Bottom line - I think what the challenges pointed out to me was the great difference in my lifestyle now from a year ago. This has got to be one of the hardest things I've ever done and I know after this past year that the goal is reachable.

Thanks, BSQ, for all your efforts in setting up these challenges for us. I look forward to the next one

Sandi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2004, 07:01 PM

Here's what I learned from the April Challenge:
[list=1][*]Eating OP is still the hardest thing for me. I think it's because, for 1 thing, I never did it perfectly when I was activelly on the program. Then, being, and succeeding, on Maintainance and then having to go back to weight-loss program, it seems to be hardest.[*]Drinking water is the easiest for me, but it always was: I will actually choose water over any other drinks, even wine, naturally.[*]Exercising has become a very important part of my life: I not only can do it every day, I crave it when I can't do it.[*]I was one of the ones who had a hard time for a few of the weeks. In my case it was being thrown unforeseen Monkey's Wrenches, and, as usual, not being able to cope with it. However, for the most part, I made up for those days where I failed.[*]I've learned that, right now, I need to another approach to weight-loss: I think I'm simply bored with the program I've been on for so long. I still think that it's a good program, very balanced but, right now, I can't do it. That's why I'm starting the South Beach Diet, on Thursday. I think that I will be able to make it, because the start up phase is only for 2 weeks. And, then, right from Phase 2, I can start reintroducing fruits and starches. It's the proverbial "light at the end of the tunnel" that might prove to be my salvation.[/list=1]

Overall, in my case, the April Challenge was a positive experience: I was able to motivate myself through all 4 weeks and I succeeded at all 4 weeks. Even with being OTR for exercise on the 3rd week. I did have a very hard time with eating OP, but managed to get through the 1st week with flying colors, and the 4th week, by the seat of my pants.

And I'm now motivated to reach my goal, which is only 15 lbs away, and they are "new" lbs that are easier to loose, by the end of June. Or to a least be very close to my goal (within a lb or 2) by that time (no, I'm not giving myself a way out, just being realistic.

I do know myself pretty well and I know that, right now, I have no control over what I eat. But I'm aiming to change that.

As far as to why the April Challenge turned out to be harder, in my case, it was due to unexpected illness: mine and the kids'. Being sick and being around someone who's sick saps your energy. And, when it's compounded by sleepless nights, it makes it very hard to cope with life. Might have been bad timing
Unread 05-04-2004, 05:08 AM

Well, this was quite a thought provoking month...

I had difficulty with the 1st week as I came down with a severe sinus infection so I really didn't eat much during that timeframe.

The 2nd week was water... well, as crazy as work has been, I made sure to get in all my liquids.

The 3rd week was the exercise challenge & I did quite well.

The 4th week... well, with DD being hospitalized & my anniversary -- let's just say stress wore me out & I had a very difficult time combining all 3 elements they way I committed to. It's not the level of the challenge as much as stress taking control and time constraints. It was quite difficult to get ME time going when focused on family issues. I would have to say during all the craziness during this week... I really didn't care -- just too much going on. And, the days I took off from work I refused to be committed to anything else other than relaxing which translated into eating out more often than ususal. This was not a bad thing for me though... I really needed the "time off" in all respects.

With that said, I am now ready to re-commit to making the changes I need to do make for May so that I can really drop the extra weight I am carrying around. I have been yo-yoing with a few lbs -- loose them, gain them... I am committed to breaking this cycle & taking better care of Sue.

The challenge has made me more "mindful" of all the facets of our lives & trying to find the balance needed to be healthy. I think that the level I choose was a good one for me and refusing to give up is a very good thing. Looking back at what I wrote I am trying to decide if I am making up excuses & have decided that sometimes life throughs us the Monkey Wrenches -- I deatl with the issues at hand -- and then am getting back with the program. I am now back on program.

BSQ... thank you for putting this month together! Although I was not 100%, it does give me a baseline on which to measure my successes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register