I just want to scream | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I just want to scream I just want to scream

Unread 05-03-2004, 06:32 PM
I just want to scream

I posted before that my insurance company denied my surgery that I was suppose to have last thursday. Well, my surgeon told me to just sit and wait until she calls me. Don't call her she will call me. I am in so much pain that the pain pills do not work anymore and I can't keep anything down at all. Not even water.

I am just getting scared. Should I be in this much pain and should I be vomiting several times on a daily basis. I am waiting for my surgeon to call me to re-do my pre-op and I feel like I am dieing. (sp?)

I am suppose to have a TAH. I just want everything to be taken out now. I am so depressed and just want to go to sleep and not wake up. Please I just needs some words of encouragement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2004, 06:44 PM
I just want to scream

Hi Nikki
Oh darlin, I know what it feels like to be in so much pain you want to die. But hun, we both know that's not the answer.

No it is NOT normal for you to be vomiting daily, and no it is NOT normal that you can't keep anything at all in your stomach. You could get seriously dehydrated that way.

Hun, is there any way you can get to an ER? Maybe they can at least do something to get a handle on the pain.

I'm in the same boat, waiting for Prince Charming to phone me back to talk about stronger pain meds. Aunt Flo dropped by this morning, and I've been home writhing around in pain most of the day.

I wish I could offer you more, but I do have a for you.
It isn't fair that we have to suffer in this much pain. The doc that is making you wait should have to endure this pain for a couple of days.

Have you tried a heating pad, hot shower, warm bath, ice packs? I'm just trying to think of some of the hints I've received here. Oh yeah, here's my favorite. Make sure your feet are warm. I know it sounds silly, but one of the hostesses here told me that, and now I believe her. Cold feet tend to make your leg and back muscles contract, thereby intensifying pain.

take care sweetie.
Tam
Unread 05-03-2004, 07:50 PM
I just want to scream

Oh Nikki - my heart goes out to you! I am sorry to hear you're in so much pain. I too, had endo & andenomyosis and severe adhesions (the surgery took over 8 hours due to having to untangle my bowel & bladder, rather than the 3 & 1/2 hours they'd planned for!). I know the pain you are suffering - I was in pain for years (and was told I was "imagining it all" by a female doctor no less!). I found out the truth (her partner finally had tests run on me, including an MRI), and that was 3 days before we lost our insurance! So I know how frustrating these insurance companies can be!!:hair:

What concerns me most is your vomiting. Is it possible that you're stressed out enough to cause you to be doing this? Whatever the reason is, you need to find the cause -- and do tell your doctor! It can lead to serious problems - and possibly even delay your surgery further if not curtailed.

The pain meds themselves could be the cultprit if they are new to you. Narcotics especially are notorious for causing stomach upsets...so this is something your doctor should know about and be working with you to resolve. Also, if you are on narcotics and having difficulty with them, what does your doctor intend to do for your pain post operatively?? This is something you have a right to know about and should be talking to your doctor about prior to your surgery.

In the meantime, maybe you can relieve some of the pain (as well as anxiety) with a nice soothing bath. I found that a lot of times a hot bath with Epsom salts and nice smelling aromatherapy oils helped calm me tremendously - as well as to ease some of the pain. I also found that listening to soft, gentle, calming music while in this nice bath helped too. Pretty candles never hurt either! :-) Whatever you can do to keep yourself calm and at ease will help lower your pain levels. The more stressed you are, the worse your pain will become. If you have the opportunity, I found that massage therapy was a huge help. (If there is a massage school near you, oftentimes they have reduced fees.) Sometimes, insurance companies will offer to pay part of the fees if used for pain management or stress management but make sure you check with them first! You know how they are!

I do hope you find some relief soon! Hugs to you sweetie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2004, 08:28 PM
I just want to scream

youknow what ? I wish I could give youa hug . Thankfully the healthcare system here isnt like that . I wonder .. could you walk in to the ER if you are in pain ? They will have to do somethig there and then

mei
Unread 05-03-2004, 11:12 PM
Thank You

Thank you all for replying. I don't know why I am vomiting. I believe it is just from the pain. I am on Darvacet for the pain and if I could keep them down I would be great. I actually have been fine on them for the last week but just the last couple days have been really bad. Today is just not a good day.
I am so frustrated. I can't go to work. I can't call my surgeon and if I go to the ER it will be another 8 hour wait and they will only give me more drugs. I am sick of the drugs. by the time they actually do my surgery I will have a tolerance to everything.
Any how thank you for y'all replies
Nikki
Unread 05-04-2004, 09:31 AM
I just want to scream

You really should notify your doctor of your vomiting - your regular doctor should be able to get you in for an office visit the same day for something like this. There are medicines that they can give you something to stop the vomiting that are extremely effective.

Darvocette can cause stomach upset problems - especially if your tummy is already upset. Or if you have an ulcer or something else that is upsetting your stomach it can really make it worse. You need to find out what the cause is, but most importantly you need to get it stopped and get some rest so you can eat & drink properly.

Please take this seriously - the vomiting may be caused by your stress level but it could also but something else, whatever is causing it, it's not something to ignore. Your body is telling you that something is wrong - please do listen to it. You need nutrition and hydration - let alone you need some rest!

As for building up a tolerance to the Darvocette, there are other drugs that could be given for pain. Darvocette is on a lower level than some of the other drugs such as Tylenol 3, etc. But first you need to get this vomiting under control.

Hope you find relief quickly.
Unread 05-04-2004, 10:14 AM
I just want to scream

First of all, big big big s. I am so sorry it hurts so much. Boy do I know what that is like. I get so sad sometimes reading all the posts of all the women in pain. In a sick sort of way I don't feel as lonely and freakish as I did before I came here. At least I know there are others that understand my pain, but I HATE that anyone goes through this! I wish I could be there to take care of you and give you whenever it gets to be too much. Sometimes it helps to just be pampered and it sounds like you need some serious pampering.

As for the pain, get help. I was in agony and my pain meds were not touching it. My doctor had done tons of tests to try to find out what was causing the pain beyond what we already knew. I was on antibiotics and had been for weeks for a bladder infection and had a chocolate cyst on my ovary. My cysts didn't usually ever cause that much pain, and I had been dealing with the pain of endo and adhesions for years but this was different. I didn't listen to my body and I almost died. My pain turned out to be from a softball sized abcess on my ovary. I ended up having an emergency laparotomy and I lost my ovary and tube. I became septic and nearly died. It was awful. I am not trying to scare you, but we have to learn to listen to our bodies and to not let anyone, repeat ANYONE, make us doubt what we feel is going on. I convinced myself it was just a chocolate cyst because that is what my doctor said. He was wrong and so was I for not listening to my body and getting help sooner. If your doctor won't listen, please find someone who will. At this point I would go to the ER because you may very well be dehydrated already. The vomiting could be from the pain meds, but it could also be something else (like infection which is why I was vomiting) and should be investigated. Call her and tell her what is going on. She should be made aware. I pray she responds and gives you the help you need. If not, absolutely go to the ER. They will notify her of anything they find.

Until then, try sipping some warm chamomile tea (very good for stomach, ginger is also VERY good) and eating plain old crackers. If one is all you can handle, eat only one. Take it slowly. I am thinking of you, hun, and praying this is addressed immediately. We shouldn't have to live like this! Please let us know how you are doing.
Unread 05-04-2004, 11:56 AM
I just want to scream

Well, I made it through the night. I didn't think I would. I am scared to call my Dr. She is my surgeon and does not have a staff. It is a county Hospital. She pretty much told me that there is nothing she can do for me until the fincancial worker at the hospital gets everything authorized. I am in a small contained town and the only surgeon that takes new patients is 90 y/o. She is 2 hours away from me. I have one clinic to go to here and they don't know how to do anything. Honestly it is scary. Thank you all for listening to me.
When I get the courage to call her I will.
Nikki
Unread 05-04-2004, 12:05 PM
I just want to scream

IF YOU ARE STILL VOMITING I WOULD GO TO THE E.R. AND DEMAND THEY HELP YOU THEY WONT TURN YOU AWAY. IF YOU GET DEHYDRATED THAT CAN BE VERY SERIOUS!
Unread 05-04-2004, 12:33 PM
Go Go GO to the ER

You NEED to get there. If you aren't happy with the assesment then ask for someone else to look at you. BUT GO NOW. Don't wait until you are to sick to do anything.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register