Gyn/Oncologist questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gyn/Oncologist questions Gyn/Oncologist questions

Unread 05-04-2004, 08:33 PM
Gyn/Oncologist questions

Hi All,
Had a question about gyn/oncologists. I have consulted one for a second opinion recently and I really liked her. However, I really like my regular gyn as well.

I have decided to have the hyst. surgery instead of more hormones. So I guess my question is: Does the oncologist need to be present during the surgery that my regular gyn will be performing?

I did ask the gyn/onc this same question and she just said she could be there if I wanted her to. To either observe or scrub in. What ever I was comfortable with.

But is that going over board? Do I really need her there?

She said something that really scared me. She (the onc) said that there is a 30-60% chance there will be cancer in the uterus with my dx of complex hyperplasia with atypia.

My gyn said that was too high and would keep it in the single digits of 5%! That is a BIG spread!

I thank you for your insight and experiences,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2004, 09:22 PM
Gyn/Oncologist questions

Dear Joyce,
Good luck with your surgery. Have you scheduled it yet? In my opinion, I would at least have the gyn/onc. present for the surgery. She has already agreed to be there if you want her to be, so what do you have to lose? I feel like you will be more at peace going into the surgery, with her there. I hope it goes well for you and that they don't find ANY cancer at all!

Rhonda
Unread 05-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Gyn/Oncologist questions

Rhonda,
Yes, just scheduled it yesterday. It will be June 15th. That was the first available day in June.

I have already started the nervous list writing of the things I need or need to do before hand. Nothing like being over prepared!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2004, 03:10 AM
Gyn/Oncologist questions

Dear Joyce,

First of all I am so sorry you are having to go through this. However, I must say that it is what I would do in a similar situation. After the hysterectomy, you will be free of so much worry about cancer, etc. and be able to move on to a happy and healthy future.

I would definitely, definitely have the gyn/onc present at the surgery, scrubbed up and ready to go. Presumably they will do a preliminary investigation of the uterus during the operation: then, if cancer is found, you will have the expert available to do staging, etc. I will certainly have my gyn/onc present if I have a hysterectomy under these circumstances.

I wish you all the best for your surgery.
Unread 05-05-2004, 07:00 AM
Gyn/Oncologist questions

Joyce,

Since your gyn/onc has already agreed to be there, I'd go for it! Especially since there's such a "point spread" between the cancer probabilities as each Dr sees them.

And hopefully they'll both be bored to tears with a totally cancer-free diagnosis!

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 05-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Gyn/Oncologist questions

Hi, Joyce
When you're talking about the possibility of cancer, having an onc/gyn involved is not going "overboard," it's doing the right thing!! I had a onc/gyn do my surgery and would not have done otherwise; it was my gyn's idea to have the onc/gyn do the surgery. If you need to have lymph nodes dissected, that should be done by the onc/gyn so have her scrubbed in and ready! You only get one chance at this; get the best!! My thoughts and prayers are with you! Carol
Unread 05-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Gyn/Oncologist questions

Hi Joyce:

I agree with the ladies - definitely have the gyn/onc present - very important especially if you need those lymph nodes checked -the gyn/onc will know what do do etc. with respect to any matters concerning cancer - get the best possible treatment from the get go.

As you have a little over a month to prepare make sure you look after yourself and not get too tired out by all the things you want to do - go for healthy walks, eat healthily and rest. Be very good to yourself before and then after the surgery - but we'll talk again about after the surgery.

Sending you lots of hugs!!!
Unread 05-06-2004, 09:00 AM
Gyn/Oncologist questions

Hi Ladies,
Thank you and I hear you loud and clear. I will start those phone calls by the end of the week. I figure I better give her plenty of notice.

I also want to pick my anestheologist (sp?). So I will be putting that 'on the list' as well.

As far as me taking care of myself before and after. Soranna, you are so right. I have not been excercising at all lately. Been too wrapped up in what is going on and I am paying for it now. I feel like a toad.

But I really appreciate you reminding me that I need to do this to make it easier on myself and my recovery. Those are very true words and I thank you.

We have a farmers market fairly close and it is easy to get fresh veggies...cheap too. Too bad I can't kill two birds with one stone and walk there!

Many appreciative cyber hugs going out to all!
Unread 05-06-2004, 03:49 PM
Gyn/Oncologist questions

Hi all,

This is the first time that I have been on this message board. I have been on the pre and post op. I have to have a tah/bso on June 3rd. I am scared to death. I was refered to the James cancer hospital in Columbus, Ohio. They did all sorts of tests then a Dnc early March. I was told a couple of weeks ago that I had hyperplasia with atypia and that there were cancer cells noted. My Dr is great she has her bio on the james web site. and that helped me when I first went there but after I was seen by her that really calmed me down. She is gyn/onc also and she is the one doing the op. That reassures me a lot but I am more scared of the op than the cancer. I know that sounds strange but that will hit me after I come through the op without problems.
This is a whole new world for me surgery and all. I am glad I found this site.
Good luck to all of you and me too!
Dessie
Unread 05-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Gyn/Oncologist questions

Dessie

I totally understand the feeling of being more scared of the surgery than the cancer. Even when I was thinking I might have had ovarian cancer, I was more scared of the surgery than the cancer itself.

JMac

As far as exercising befor your surgery I agree with soranna. When I was getting ready for my surgery in August last year, I walked 2 miles/day for 2 weeks, I thinked it helped me as far as walking the halls post op and helped me feel better sooner.

Take care both of you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register