Gyn/Oncologist questions - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gyn/Oncologist questions Gyn/Oncologist questions

Unread 05-10-2004, 06:26 PM
Gyn/Oncologist questions

Thanks Ladies,

I really appreciate all of your comments. I made that follow up call today to the gyn scheduler (I will call her S) She said my doc did not request the gyn/onc to be present, but did not mind if she was there.

Well, duh! I was the one who requested her to be there. Did I not make myself clear?

S said that I should call the gyn/onc office scheduler (I will call her G) to see if the docs had a chance to chat yet. Ok, again with the phone calls!

G says that gyn/onc has been seeing patience all day and she has not had a chance to talk with her. G will pull my file and talk with doc and call me back.

Goodness gracious! How difficult can it be to get those two to converse with each other! I explained to both S and G why I wanted both there. That they gave me such a wide range of percentages...one said 5% chance of cancer...the other said 30-60% chance!

Well, I'm not taking a chance!! I want both there! I think they both understood. (I hope)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2004, 08:39 PM
Gyn/Oncologist questions

Joyce,
You go girl!!! You are doing the right thing. I admire you for being persistant and hope that everything goes well for you! Good luck!

Rhonda
Unread 05-11-2004, 10:02 AM
Gyn/Oncologist questions

Hi,
I just thought I'd share my situation with you. I don't have cancer concerns, but I am having a GYN/ONC do the surgery on recommendation from my regular GYN. Her thoughts were that GYN/ONC are really good at going in and cleaning up messes. I have adhesions from a c-section, tubal ligation and sponge removal - last time I had a fallopian tube and part of the peritinium removed because of an infection from the sponge. I'm really excited about this GYN/ONC. She's awesome! Really straightforward and to the point. I told her my worries about incontinence, she didn't even bat an eyelash, had a urologist scheduled for the surgery. She told me they're going to go in, take the uterus, assess the ovaries, clean up all scar tissue, etc and then unkink and fix the bowel. WOW Now that's what I call cleaning house!

I hope your surgery goes well. I'm getting anxious only because I'm ready for it and the days seem to be passing slowly. The surgery itself doesn't scare me. I'm in great hands and have had so many other abdominal surgeries that I know I'll be fine.

Smiles & best wishes,
Christine

TAH/sling 6/8/04 and looking forward to it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2004, 04:22 PM
Gyn/Oncologist questions

Dear Joyce, these ladies are giving you wonderful advice. Absolutely have a gyn/onc present. They are the experts.

My gyn did a D & C and thats when he found the cancer. He referred me to a university hospital, to the chief surgeon/oncologist, and I am so thankful for that decision. I really was re-assured that I was in good hands with my gyn/onc.

Don't let these offices give the run around. I work in a medical office, and unfortunately, there are so many that want to "pass the buck" and sometimes are just to lazy to go the extra mile and help the patients. And since I have been through this myself, I can relate to all of our patients with their concerns. Keep pressuring until you get your answer, and keep up the good work with kindness. Absolutely, that helps!

And try to get some exercise in. I'm a walker, and I believe that helped in my recovery. The morning after my surgery, the nurses were coming and getting me up for my walk. I thought they were crazy, how on earth can I get up after having my belly split wide open, but GET UP I did, and after the first walk, it got better!!

I'll be thinking about you on your surgery. Things will go well.
Unread 05-11-2004, 04:45 PM
Gyn/Oncologist questions

Ladies,

Yipee! I got home today and there was a message from G at the oncologist office. The gyn/onc will be there for my surgery!!!

I feel so relieved! Now on to the next scheduling task...The anesthesiologist (sp?), or the A-man as I have seen some women here call it. Two down, and one to go!

It's too late to call G at the gyn/onc office, but I will be calling her to thank her in the morning, for sure.

Christine - good luck with your surgery, too! It will be here before you know it.

Samie - thank you for your insight on the medical office side of things and the walking encouragment. I walked sunday and monday. I am bummed that it is raining today.

Many hugs,
Unread 05-11-2004, 07:08 PM
Gyn/Oncologist questions

Joyce,

I'm so glad for your good news. Things are looking up.

As for picking your A-man, I didn't have that choice (I think). When I went for pre-op, an A-nurse talked with me, but nothing was said about my choosing the A-man. Everything went well, except I had an allergic reaction to the morphine that was given me after surgery. They kept me in recovery several hours longer than usual. I do remember the nurses and anesthesiologists kept coming around to me.....seems I broke out in a rash on my chest and neck, and they kept encouraging me to take deep breaths. Since I had never had surgery before, and had never had morphine for any reason, I didn't know that I was allergic. So please keep your allergies (if you have any) in mind, and be sure to tell everyone about them.

Don't ya just love this site. It has been so helpful and encouraging to me.

Please keep us informed of how things are going.
Unread 05-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Gyn/Oncologist questions

Annabee's right about allergies. Remember, too, that some drugs contain chemicals derived from foods. For instance, the anaesthetic propofol contains egg and soy lecithin. I woke up from my surgery covered in hives, with my lips and tongue all swollen up; I was lucky I didn't end up on the breathing tube for longer.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register