Need Info CT Scan/Not Doing Too Good | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need Info CT Scan/Not Doing Too Good Need Info CT Scan/Not Doing Too Good

Unread 05-05-2004, 09:14 AM
Need Info CT Scan/Not Doing Too Good

Good morning sisters,

I come to you again asking for information. I completed my fourth chemo one week ago. Two more are planned.
I am not doing very well. I am down to 94 pounds and can actually feel myself slipping away.
I saw chemo nurse yesterday for bloodwork. Everything is a little low but not dangerously. I told her about the neuropathy in my feet and left hand. If it gets worse, I won't be walking anymore. She said that is a sign of my toxicity level for the one drug, cisplatin.
She talked of possibility of reducing dose.
Tomorrow I am scheduled for a CT Scan with contrast. I have never had one, which seemed to surprise the nurse considering it was Stage 3c cancer.
I am assuming they will be looking to see if there is anything going on anywhere, and if not, then maybe discuss reducing the doseages of my chemo.

Has anyone had this happen?

I'm a little nervous to find out what's going on, yet I am so tired of just wondering.
Can chemo treatments themself kill you?
I'm beginning to wonder......

Thanks so much
nancy j
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2004, 09:37 AM

Dear Nancy,

I can't comment on those questions. I just want you to know you are in my thoughts. Please be strong and don't give up.

Bertha
Unread 05-05-2004, 09:45 AM

Nancy,

I'm so sorry that things aren't going as well as you'd hoped--at least, on the surface, anyway. I hope that the CT scans will show that all is well, and that there's no trouble brewing anywhere. Perhaps a reduction/change in the chemo will be in order so that you feel better and don't lose more weight.

You've come such a long way---we will pray you through the rest so that you can feel well again and be an encouragement to others! Special good wishes and prayers on the CT scan tomorrow. Please let us know how it goes.

Blessings.
Marlene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2004, 10:52 AM

Nancy,
i am sorry you are feeling do poorly. I slipped down to 83 at one point from my pre cancer weight of 102, but have been around 98 since finishing treatments . Some people gain weight on chemo and others lose.
It sounds as if the chemo is very hard on your body, but hopefully getting rid of the cancer. It does seem strange that you never had a CT scan. CT scan or sometimes PEt scans are often done during chemo to monitor progress. Chemo doseage can be changed or maybe different chemo given depending on the results. Perhaps after your scan the dose may be lowereed a bit. Dr's monitor treatnments very carefully to make sure it doesn't do more harm then good. I am praying for you . Hope you get good and informative results on the scan. Please let us know
Unread 05-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Hi Nancy

The CT scan will give a good idea of how well you're doing and i anything is still hanging in there. I'm amazed you didn't have one before--I had one before surgery and then one after chemo and think maybe one in the middle. Some people have neuropathy problems from chemo--be sure your doctor knows how seroius yours is. As to changing doses, that is up to the doctor. I do know I get lower dose of carboplatin than I should for my size because the normal dose just takes everything out blood wise.
But that is a Dr. decision to be made. Wishing you a clear CT scan and no more neuropathy. Have you tried Glutamine? I took it during Taxol/carbo. It helps some women with neuropaothy.
Unread 05-05-2004, 11:51 AM

I'll try to answer in one...sorry, i'm so weak.
I have never had a CT scan.
During surgery, the tumor was contained in the uterus. Was not even into the wall yet. BUT one pelvic lymph node was positive for cancer cells.
Thus, the 28 whole abdomen rads and the chemo to be used as a "precaution against recurrence" (doctors words). At the time, the doctor told us everything else looked fine so we just assumed that meant that.
I did ask my radiologist one time how they knew it wasn't somewhere else. He said that my chest xrays looked good. And I am assuming when I was simulated for the radiation, they were able to see stomach/abdomen area?

Perhaps I have assumed too much and it's time to ask some pretty pointed questions?

IF this is all being done as a "precaution", then at what point do you holler enough?

It has been so good to hear from all of you and to know that you are praying for me. Right now I can't even get the words together in my head to pray, I just keep hollering 'help'.

Love
nancy j
Unread 05-05-2004, 12:08 PM

Nancy,
I have not been through any chemo or radiation, but I wanted you to know that I am praying for you to feel strong again! I pray that every bit of cancer, is any was left behind, is totally gone now and will never return. I know that God hears your "help me"' cries, don't stop asking! I pray that your scan finds All Clear and nothing else!

Rhonda
Unread 05-05-2004, 12:51 PM

Hi, Nancy. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through so much. I just wanted to point out to you (and see from what you've already just posted) that you had radiation therapy at the same time that you had chemo. Frankly, I think we in the "2 for 1" club get a double-hit of side effects.

I also did chemo/radiation at the same time and I know, for myself, that I lost a lot of weight. In my case, I went down to pre-high school levels. It was on one hand, a little scary but on another, something that I didn't feel tooo badly about (lol). My pre-H.S. weight was still a lot more than 94 pounds. P.S. I'm back up and beyond my pre-surgery weight. Yeoww!

I looked at it this way: I ate everything I could and didn't care too much about carbs, or calories, or whatever. I really tried to focus (per my doctor's instructions) on protein. I figured that my body was expending SOOOOO much energy trying to "process" all the chemo and the radiation that I couldn't help but lose weight.

Please talk to your doctor. With all due respect to nurses everywhere, especially oncology nurses, whom I LOVE, they don't know YOUR case. I'm not saying she's not right, but your doctor knows better.

I also had the neuropathy. It is disconcerting. I still get it in my feet every morning and feel it when I'm getting out of bed. It's improved tremendously, though, since I finished up on all the therapy. Many doctors recommend vitamin B-6 or B-complex (mine recommended B-6 which did help). My doctor explained that neuropathy is one of those side effects (from chemo) that tends to cumulate over each treatment. By the end of my 6th session, I had a lot of it, but again, it's improved a lot since then.

Keep the faith, Nancy. Talk to your doctor, let him/her guide you. Take whatever vitamins they think will help the neuropathy improve. Eat as much as you can. Don't be shy. It's well known that keeping weight on is a real challenge for people undergoing cancer treatment. Look into protein supplements.

As far as this treatment being done as a "precaution", my gyn oncolgist had to square me up real straight on my treatment. On one visit, I said something along the lines of "if Y wasn't here perhaps I wouldn't need X treatment." Well, he looked me square in the eyes and said, Maureen, you need it. I got the message.

Stay strong, kiddo. Do whatever needs to be done. You'll be o.k.

God bless.
Unread 05-05-2004, 04:11 PM

s Nancy

A CT scan with contrast is basically like a plain CT scan. I am assuming you have had one of those?
With contrast means you will have an IV inserted and then at a certain point they inject dye. This dye infuses quickly and you will feel a warm sensation spread through your body. Not unpleasant, just different. Hopefully the radiology techs will tell you step by step as the scan proceeds.
I hope the news is good.
How about switching to carboplatin. It is the sister drug to cisplatin, yet much kinder in regards to side effects including neuropathy.
I wish I could email you some poundage!!!

karenann
Unread 05-05-2004, 04:25 PM

Nancy,

Hang in there! I have had two CT scans with contrast. They are doable. I drank the Contrast about an hour or 2 before the scan. During the first one, as I was trying to meditate, the technician mentioned that I would also get a contrast enema then. Well, my eyes opened wide, and I responded, "No, I'm not". This response was due to the fact that this particular thing had not been mentioned to me beforehand!! If it had been, I would have prepared myself for it, and have agreed to it. Anyway, to cut a long story short, three months later, I did have a CT scan with that procedure also. It revealed a big tumour, so it was off to the operating room again for me.

Why I mention this is just in case. I do not like surprises of this sort.

About neuropathy: sometimes it feels in my thighs like I have really been punched - but where's the bruise. This feeling comes and goes - mostly goes now, but it does take time.

All the best, and a big

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register