Need Info CT Scan/Not Doing Too Good - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need Info CT Scan/Not Doing Too Good Need Info CT Scan/Not Doing Too Good

Unread 05-05-2004, 05:23 PM
Need Info CT Scan/Not Doing Too Good

Me again Nancy
I forgot about the prep you drink. But I never had to have an enema.

oxox karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2004, 06:11 PM

Nancy - do talk to your Dr. about your treatment. Did they do a CT scan after your surgery? I was only a Grade 1 stage 1A and I had a CT prior to my original surgery in Sept, again in Feb, and having another in June.
Please talk to your Dr - and remember we are here for you. Keep fighting - you are almost done with your treatment - so close anyway. I haven't ever been through chemo, so I can't say I know what you are going through - but I want you to know I am sending healing thoughts and prayers your way.
Hugs,
Jan
Unread 05-05-2004, 07:23 PM

Hi Nancy,

Do not despair...Hopefully your cat scan will be totally clear.

I had a few cat scans but never with contrast. Because I have asthma and allergies, I was told not to do the contrast because there is the possibility that I could be allergic to it. so I just have the normal cat scan.

As far as the weight problem, unfortunately I went to the other exterme. My oncologist told to eat everything that I wanted to while on chemo. Well I took her literally and ate to my hearts content. I am now, two years later fighting it off but am glad that I am still here to talk about it.

How about nutritional drinks like Boost. MY dad used to drink that when he was not feeling well. In fact he drank it along with his meal. Just a thought.

Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2004, 09:05 PM

Hi, Nancy!

First off, do take a B Complex vitamin. As Maureenie noted, it really helps with neuropathy. I couldn't feel my feet or hands after my first chemo, but my dad (a doctor) suggested a B Complex vitamin (I took one from Trader Joe's), and I've never had neuropathy again. And I went through high-dose chemo!

As for switching to Carboplatin, I thought Cisplatin was usually what was prescribed for uterine cancers, but I can't be sure. I do know that they are both hard chemos.

One thing that helped me with nausea, pain and eating was smoking marijuana. I hasten to say that I do not smoke and do not take drugs. But after six days of not being able to eat anything, we were desperate. It was the only thing that helped, and a great many people in my young adults cancer support group have also found that it is the only thing that helped them.

It is something to consider, particularly if you find yourself wasting away. Once I smoked some, I was able to eat half a bag of potato chips. Not the healthiest food, but it was calories that I needed. I eventually switched to macaroni and cheese, which became a big part of my chemo diet. High in calories and protein and carbs. I only smoked when I needed to, and that was usually during the first five days after chemo, when I was so nauseated that I could barely function. It also helped with pain. I don't even think I smoked during my final cycle of chemo.

Marinol, which is the MJ-like pill that can be prescribed, only has one of the 200 compounds in the plant, so people say it is not as effective.

Please discuss your concerns about your weight with your doctor. I know that after my first chemo, I lost 12 pounds in one week. And this was while I was so constipated that I couldn't even go for days and days. I still don't know how it happened, but it did.

Boost has a lot of sugar, as do all those high-calorie protein drinks. But you can make a fruit smoothie at home using better ingredients, and it will probably be much better for you. A banana is a great thickener and has a good amount of calories and potassium. Throw it in a blender with some milk and other fruit and see how it tastes. And make sure that when you are able to eat that you eat to survive. Right now, that means that your choices should be high in calories and hopefully high in protein.

I don't really view any chemo as a precaution. If there's anything microscopic left in your body, the chemo is necessary. Anything beyond Stage 1C means it's escaped out into the abdominal cavity. And that means that it can't necessarily be swept clean of cancer cells during surgery. So it's best that you are undergoing this chemo. I think I viewed mine as a precaution also, but the reality is that it was necessary to give me the best chance at life.

Hang in there, Nancy! We're all thinking about you! s!
Unread 05-05-2004, 09:46 PM

You all are so great

I feel better about tomorrow now and the CT scan. I do hope they will not do the barrium enema part though. My bowels are sooooo touchy since the radiation. And I will have a 100 mile trip home afterwards!!! With many many of those miles in between restrooms!!

It has helped me so much to read your personal experiences, things that have helped you that I can ask my doctor about using too, well, I really believe just the 'sisterhood' of it all is almost like being able to lean on you all when I just can't stand by myself....and I thank you.

I will let you know how it all goes.

nancy j
Unread 05-07-2004, 08:28 AM

Nancy:

Please let us know how your CT goes. I've been so concerned about you since your post. I'll be hoping and praying that things go well.
Unread 05-08-2004, 08:49 PM

Dear tsalagi,

Terribly sorry about your difficulties.

Perhaps your doctor could prescribe Megace/progestins to you to prevent cachexia/anorexia and the difficulties that can be brought on.. Increasing appetite in such situations is one of it's uses.

http://caonline.amcancersoc.org/cgi/...t/full/52/2/72

Pat
Unread 05-13-2004, 07:16 AM

Nancy, you were scheduled for your CT scan on May 6 (I think). How did it go? I've been so worried about you since your last post. Please give us an update. I'm praying all is well with you.
Unread 05-14-2004, 07:27 AM

nancy: so sorry to hear what you have been going through. By now you scan should be done. Please let us know how you are doing. You are in my prayers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register