dr visits | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-05-2004, 02:15 PM
dr visits

Hi ladies, I am only a few days post-op and would like to know how many times will I have to visit the dr for post op? I am unemployed without any insurance and I know I can not afford to go to dr. but I also know that I can not afford not to go as well.

Also, I have this horrible scent that won't go away. Does anyone know what that is, and how do I get rid of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2004, 02:29 PM
dr visits

Hi Tanya, Your need to visit the doctor will depend on your recovery. I had a TAH and an infection in my incision, so I ended up needing a visiting nurse and was at my doctors office every week for check ups. Now that I'm completely healed I see my gyn every three months and my oncologist every 6 months. I think after the first year that may change, but I'm not certain yet.

Odor is a sign of infection, I hate to say it, but you may want to call your doc to see what he/she thinks. If you explain to your doc that you don't have insurance and are out of work he/she may work with you as far as payments. Good luck! Mary Ellen
Unread 05-05-2004, 02:37 PM
dr visits

I was of the impression that post op visits are part of the hysterectomy. That's how my doctor's office works it.

s
Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2004, 03:45 PM
dr visits

I had a TAH on April 21st. I do not go back to the Dr. until the 6 week point. Most posts I read have a 2 or 3 week visit, but my Dr. didn't want one.
Unread 05-05-2004, 04:15 PM
dr visits

Post-op visits are usually included in the cost of the surgical procedure. Customary post-op periods depend on the procedure. I have no idea what that is for a hysterectomy--could be a few weeks, could be a couple months. Best to call your doctor's office to see which visits will be included and let them know your situation.

Unread 05-05-2004, 04:26 PM
dr visits

Hi
I have seen my dr 3 times and have to go back on the 17th of may.. I think ur post op appt are part of they hyster and should already be paid for but check with ur doctor to make sure.. Uneed to be seen to make sure u r healing right.. As far as the smell I had that too.. Never figured out what it was, but kinda smells like medicine??
Unread 05-05-2004, 05:22 PM
dr visits

I went back after one week to get staples removed, and he said unless I had any problems, I didn't need to come back until my first quarterly exam in July. My follow-up was not included in the price of surgery.
Unread 05-05-2004, 06:41 PM
dr visits

It's been eight days since my surgery and I have "the smell" also. I recognize it from having children - same thing happened after that. Other posts have suggested it may be the stiches dissolving. I remember it lasting for two weeks or so.
Unread 05-05-2004, 07:03 PM
dr visits

How could I forget to address the no-insurance issue?! I went through chemo and radiation w/o insurance. I wrote letters to my health care providers explaining my situation, and so far most of them have cut their bills in half. (Considering it all cost about $67,000, that's a huge chunk!) So you should be able to at least negotiate monthly payments, but also try to negotiate the amount you owe.
Unread 05-06-2004, 08:46 AM
dr visits

Think you sisters for your advice

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register