Fibroid from Uterus still in question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroid from Uterus still in question Fibroid from Uterus still in question

Unread 04-27-2000, 01:44 PM
Fibroid from Uterus still in question

I am 2 weeks post-op from a TAH. Two cysts were found on my ovaries and biopsies came back negative. The fibroid from my ovary is still in question. The doctor said the pathologist thinks it's benign, but they are not 100% sure. To say the least, I'm scared. My question is if the ovaries came back normal, what are the odds of the other one being malignant. Any info would be helpful. Thank you all for being here, it's been a great support system.

Maria

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2000, 05:21 PM

I do know it's extremely rare for a fibroid to be cancerous. And it sounds as though they are checking some suspicious cells, which sounds as though everything may easily have been solved with the surgery. It might change the procedures you follow for follow up, just to check on things, but it probably doesn't change much else. And they often just have a hard time interpreting cells that are just borderline.

Let us know how the results come out though. I'll be hoping for the best!

<font color="FF6600">Trish 7/12/99 tah/bso, cancer<font color="000000">
<font color="FF6600">Check out my hystersister articles:
<font color="000000">
<A HREF="http://www.hormonejungle.com" TARGET=_blank><font color="009900">http://www.hormonejungle.com<font color="000000"></A>
[email protected]
Unread 05-01-2000, 04:38 PM

Trish,

Thank you for responding to my post. I just got back from the dr. and he said I have an Epithelioid Smooth Muscle tumor with low malignant potential. He said it was rare and didn't have much info on it. It is not cancerous, but I need to go in 4 times a year for a check x-ray and blood work. I am so relieved. If you know of any area I can get an information on this please let me know.

Thanks again.

Maria

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2000, 09:36 PM

No wonder they had a hard time diagnosing this. I've just taken a quick dip in the literature and apparently there's this huge grey area of sort of fibroids that rarely are exactly cancer but they've got odd cells. The whole thing is extremely rare. Welcome to the club! I too have the joy of having had something so rare they don't seem to know a whole heck of a lot about it!

You've probably looked these up already, but it seems that epithelioid means cells that are like the cells that line lots of parts of the body--the digestive track, lungs, etc. Smooth muscle tumor apparently means that the tumor is not in the smooth muscle but is made up of smooth muscle tissue, sort of free floating. Apparently, a lot of fibroids are smooth muscle, which I never knew before.

Apparently these things are almost never malignant but can look very odd. Apparently they can also develop in other parts of the body that have that kind of epithelium lining, which is probably why they want to keep an eye on things. But again, these are really rare too.

Even the fibroid malignancies, the few that they've found, spread extremely slowly. The one study I saw that followed some women with it, showed that only one person died. The rest were cured by surgery. The one woman was 70 when it was discovered and it had already spread. So, it sounds like you have a nice cautious doctor and nothing to fear. Though I know it's sobering just to have to hear the words.

<font color="FF6600">Trish 7/12/99 tah/bso, cancer<font color="000000">
<font color="9933FF">Check out my hystersister articles
at Kathy and Lauren's website:<font color="000000">
<A HREF="http://www.hormonejungle.com" TARGET=_blank><font color="009900">http://www.hormonejungle.com<font color="000000"></A>
[email protected]

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register