A funny thing happened on the way to finding a new gyn/onc | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A funny thing happened on the way to finding a new gyn/onc A funny thing happened on the way to finding a new gyn/onc

Unread 05-07-2004, 12:19 PM
A funny thing happened on the way to finding a new gyn/onc

I posted last month that I wasn't getting any answers from my docs about my ovarian cancer, and received very kind and helpful replies. Thanks again, you ladies are the best.

Last week, I told my SIL, who is an RN at a nearby hospital, about your suggestions, and she said she'd ask one of the docs she works with what he thought. Up to this point, I hadn't told anyone other than my husband that I was sick. I wanted to wait until I had a date and tell the whole family at once.

Anyway, the day after I told her, I got a call from my internist's PA to "see how I was feeling". I also got a call from the gyn/onc himself, with a surgery date of May 28. He said he had been waiting to hear from the endocrinologist. Yeah, right.

I'm having a radical hysterectomy, BSO, and omentectomy. Can someone who's had these procedures tell me what to expect pain and recovery wise?

Thanks,
imswitbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2004, 12:48 PM

Hi,
I think it will be okay for you. It all depends alot on how you are with pain,etc. I had all of what you are having along with a bowel resection...I did okay. They give you a decent amount of pain meds,usually a Morphine pump...I only used mine to make me sleep through all of the vistors who i really didn't feel like dealing with...LOL. I am pretty good wit pain,but don't be a martyr. If you are in pain make sure they deal with it the way you feel the should. They were upset because i wouldn't use my morphine, but i don't like morphine so I rarely used the pump. Finaly they did disconnect it. Good luck to you and I will hope for the best and say a prayer.
Love, Sally
Unread 05-07-2004, 04:09 PM
Time and Recivery

The pain pump where you can administer after surgery is a big plus in my book. It kept pain from getting out of control. We all react differently but I found the gas pains and pains from not being able to have a bowel movement far worse than the surgery itself. I had TAH/BSO with the omentum out, a list of lymph nodes taken out but some mets removed as well. I was in for 9 days because I was coming home alone to an empty house. First week was rough--second, a bit better--by the fourth week when I was scheduled for my first chemo and the chemoport surgery I wanted it put off a week because I was out and about and really feeling well. I never needed all the 20 Oxycodone I was sent home with--finally tossed about half. Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2004, 05:59 PM
TAH Recovery

Hi:
I had a TAH January 23rd, 2004. My recovery period was 6 weeks. I had an epidural as an anesthetic so I had no morphine pump. While in the hospital make sure after they take out the catheter that someone checks to see if you are urinating. The
day after surgery they removed my catheter. During the evening a nurse found me and all I could say was incredible pain. She found that my bladder was painfully full of urine. I had no idea that I had not urinated. I didn't know that pain wasn't normal.

When you arrive home you will be very sore. I was advised by a friend to put a pillow between my abdomen and the seat beat for the trip home. I used that pillow every time I got in the car for at least two weeks. I had pain medication but the day I took advil instead I had so much less pain it was incredible. I think I was pretty sore for at least two weeks. Then I gradually improved.

A friend of mine who is very overweight had a 6 months recuuperative period. I would definitely ask your doctor how long he/she thinks your recuuperative period will be.

Good luck,
LilyLuly
TAH 2C fallopian tube cancer taxol/carbo 3 treatments done 3 to go
Unread 05-10-2004, 11:43 AM

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I'm feeling much less apprehensive about the surgery knowing that you all are so supportive and willing to share your experiences.

Ghost55, Love the morphine pump thing. What a great way to end a too long visit from a well meaning friend.

Margaret321, being home alone after a surgery like that would scare the bejeebers out of me. You must be a very strong woman.

Lilylulu, did you have the epidural with or in place of a general anesthetic? I very much want an epidural with light sedation, morbid curiousity being the reason. I want to know what's going on during the surgery, even if I don't remember it all later.
Unread 05-10-2004, 01:05 PM
Epidural

The Epidural was the anesthetic. I was concerned about a general anesthetic since my lungs are not the best. I was sound asleep though. My doctor told my husband he tried to wake me and I wouldn't wake up. LOL. It must have been a good sleep. You will say things though that you will not remember. All through the night after my surgery a nurse awaked me every hour to take my vital signs. She said it was because of the epidural. Also the anesthesiologist had to visit me in the hospital as long as the epidural was still in. Please email me post surgery if you have any questions. Please put hysterectomy in the subject line so I don't delete it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register