Recurrence Question - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recurrence Question Recurrence Question

Unread 05-14-2004, 04:10 PM
Recurrence Question

Dear Hammie & MoeKay.

Many, many thanks for all the information you have shared with me and others. You're right, Hammie, there is so much information out there, and for people like me, too much will begin to confuse me!!

I'm really beginning to wonder now that since my gyn/onc did not want to put me on any HRT is because of the estrogen deal. I really do see now that I need to give him a call. I really don't want to take anything that is going to put me at a greater risk to develope breast ca or anything else, for that matter.

And I'm grateful that you are that ferocious couch competitor and a research junkie!!!

MoeKay, congratulations on your vacation. I know it is one well deserved. I used up all my PTO time while I was out for surgery, so I'm really saving for a vacation hopefully this fall.

I certainly agree with you, our bodies are thrown into complete shock with the surgery, and all the other stuff just adds to it. I can truthfully say, that after I found out I had cancer I did not lose any sleep, and I truly thank God for that, but about 4-5 weeks after surgery, thats when it really hit. Seems like I was waking up every 1-2 hours throwing cover off. As I've said before, the hot flashes are bearable, but this depression is getting me down. I do believe I need to ask my DR for something, if just to get over this hump. I don't know if anyone is like me, but I really dread coming home at night (my parents live with me), and all I want is to be alone.

So it takes about a year to level off. I've come 3 months post-op and I know I can make it another 9 months.

Thanks ya'll for listening to me and helping me out with all this info. I'm sorry we've all had to go thru this, but its a big encouragment to know that there are others who understand and so freely share all that you have learned.

I do believe that come Monday morning, I will place a call to my gyn/onc and see what he will recommend for me. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2004, 08:13 AM
Recurrence Question

I have a couple of questions. I had adenosarcoma of the cervix (in situ) and my Dr. said that type is not caused by the hpv. Is that true? She said the squamous type is but not what I had. also, what is endometrial cancer and is there also an endometrial cervical cancer?
Donna - my Dr. DOES NOT want me on hrt because of the estrogen possibly feeding the cancer. She also said this is because of the risk of breast cancer. Not sure how long menopausal symptoms last. I have one small ovary left, the other had a benign cyst on it and she took it out. I'm only getting 2-3 night sweats per night and no other symptoms.
Unread 05-20-2004, 09:26 AM
Recurrence Question

Nickjack,

Sorry you are going through all this right now, but you have come to the right place! Usually cervical cancer, whether squamous or adenocarcinoma, is caused by HPV. There are specific, rare types of cervical adenocarcinoma that can arise from causes other than HPV, perhaps yours is one of those types.

Endometrial cancer is cancer in the uterus proper, not the cervix. Are you thinking of endocervical cancer? If so, that is really just a description of where the cancer is found--i.e. "endo"=inside. Good luck to you,

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2004, 09:38 AM
Recurrence Question

Dear HysterSisters:

Thanks everyone. You know how you have heard over the years that you should always go with your intuition? Well, every morning when I swallow that pill (HRT) I feel like I shouldn't be taking it. I see my Onc./Gyn. on June 14th and I'm ready to bite the bullet and get off of it then not sure if he will wing me off or discontinue it. I really want to stop taking it now, any advice?God knows I don't want to put anything in my body that may cause some other type of cancer later in my life. I'm trying to do better with my weight (5'4" 195 pounds thought I better loose some weight to feel better) but it's just not coming off. I'm eating less but the scale is not going down. Just being three weeks post op I'm not doing any excersicing I'm waiting for my six week check-up before starting. I'm having problems with constipation though (sorry I know it's gross) a lot of people at church have told me this is normal after having surgery. Any one else with this probelm after surgery? Before surgery I never went everyday maybe every three days. The only other little problem I'm having is my left leg. It's working - I can walk but if I want to cross my legs I have a little problem with it. I've called the doctor and asked for physical therapy but they want to wait until my six week check up. I love my doctor and have full trust in him and his decisions so he must think it's going to get better in time.

I can't thank everyone enough for their support and words of wisdom.

Someone gave me this Bible verse before I had my surgery and it helped me a lot. I want to share it with you.

Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God; I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness
Isaiah 41:10

Love and Prayers,
Donna
Unread 05-20-2004, 04:27 PM
Recurrence Question

Hey Donna,

Hope you're feeling much better.

My DR does not want me on HRT because of the estrogen...I'm at a high risk for breast cancer, and I too do not want to put myself at a greater risk down the road. I have read a lot about bio-identicals, a natural way for menapause. I found a compounding pharmacist that connected me with a DR and I have an appointment Monday to review lab results and see if there is anything I can take. I also have a group meeting planned with the pharmacist to come and talk with a group of ladies about bio-identicals. I can't believe how many people are interested in this!!

From what I understand, your DR should take you off HRT gradually. I don't think its something you want to do cold turkey.

The night sweats are terrible. But the mood swings and depression are getting me down. I'm waiting for my DR appt Monday to see if there is something natural I can take for that.

Try taking a stool softener for constipation. I faithfully took that after surgery, and it helped a lot.

What about your leg, is your belly sore and thats why you can't cross your leg? Hope that gets better for you?

Lets us know how you're doing.........
Unread 05-20-2004, 04:38 PM
Recurrence Question

My belly is not sore anymore. I do still have the strips across my incision. The doctor told me to wait until they fall off and do not take them off myself.

According to my doctor my leg has tissue damage around the nerve. He had to remove a lymph node that caused the tissue around the nerve trauma. I'm thinking he's thinking it will get better in time I was just wondering if anyone else had this happen to them. It is a lot better since surgery. After surgery I could only move it a little. Walking is not a probelm only hurts a little but crossing my leg is a chore.

Let me know about your doctor appt. and your phar. meeting.

Donna
Unread 05-20-2004, 08:00 PM
Recurrence Question

Donna,
To help nerves heal more quickly, my gyn/onc told me to take vitamins B2, B6, and B12, 50 mgs a day. It seems to have helped, after about a month, but nerves can over a year to heal completely.

Hope this is helpful.
Janie
Unread 05-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Recurrence Question

Dear sisters,
In December, 2002 I had a TAH/BSO for endometrial and endocervical cancer. I have been going to my GP every 3 months for a pap test and over-all checkup (I had an abdominal ultrasound a few months ago), and last month I had a mammogram which came back clear . I am advised to get a mammogram once a year. I haven't had a colonoscopy yet, and after all I've been reading here, I think it would be wise to ask for one.

Donna and AnnaBee,
The hormone jungle will be able to tell you more, but I can share my experience with you:
First of all, I am a high-risk person for depression and hormonal problems because I have struggled with depression for much of my adult life, and I also have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I can honestly say that I feel much better than I did last year--the depression, hot flashes, mood swings, exhaustion, etc. are not nearly as severe. I take vitamins, evening primrose oil, fish oil, and calcium, and I exercise every day. These things seem to make a difference.

I hope this helps!

Monalees
Unread 05-23-2004, 03:30 PM
Recurrence Question

Thanks for your advice. Someone mentioned to me about taking primrose oil for depression and I was also encouraged to take fish oil. I do take extra calcium. I love to walk, and this past week have started back at my gym. I thought I was ready, but my belly really felt sore, but I'm gonna keep at it.

I have an appt tomorrow with a DR to go over lab results and hopefully will find out if I can go on bio-identicals. My chiropractor did a profile on me, and with that list of vitamins and herbs, and what this doctor tells me tomorrow, hopefully I can make a choice as to what I want to do. I do know that I want to be on natural "stuff" because of my high risk.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register