Hpv And Severe Dysplasia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hpv And Severe Dysplasia Hpv And Severe Dysplasia

Unread 05-08-2004, 01:44 PM
Hpv And Severe Dysplasia

Hi everyone... I am a 29 mother of three. I have always had normal pap smears all my life. I recenty in the last year started having problems with my periods, heavy cramping, clotting etc. I went in to my obgyn so that I might get on the pill to regulate my periods. In doing so I had a pap that came back abnormal. I went through a copal and biopsy that came back as severe dysplasia. My doctor said that no other treatment could be done but the cone byopsy. After going through this I got a normal pap but continue to have problems with my periods, clotting, cramping and just generally feeling like crud. I have talked to my doctor about these things and she seems to think that there is nothing wrong with me. Would I feel like this if I was ok?

Both of my grandmothers have had to have hysterectomys at an early age for cancer and for fibrod tumers on their overies. I just had another pap on the 6th of May and my problem is this . I dont know if maybe I should seek out another doctor. During my pap smears I have always had alot of pain. When I was getting it this time she kept telling me that I needed to relax and that the reason it was hurting was because I was antisipating the pain in which I told her I was because it did really hurt. She told me that she wanted to be able to get a good scraping of the cervix so I didnt die of cervical cancer....... DOES THAT SOUND RUDE TO YOU ALL? I dont know what to do. Is there anyone out there that has any advice for me in this area? I am unsure if she is just giving me the run around or not?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Hpv And Severe Dysplasia

Hi, deegeorge--

I'm a little curious about one thing here--when you came back with a pap with severe dysplasia, did your doctor mention LEEP? Or did she go straight to cone? Cone is not necessariily a bad choice (and you didn't mention what the outcome was, but I'd be interested in hearing) but usually the course of treatment is colpo, biopsy, LEEP, Cone. (This is not set in stone, however, just seems kind of standard).

Anyway, has your doctor always been this unsympathetic? If, as you say, paps have always hurt you, what has been her typical response? If this is consistent with her norm, I'd look for someone else, because I don't want my doctor chastising me because she is doing something that causes me pain and I let her know it.

As far as your periods being worse after cone, I don't know that it isn't just coincidence. Do you have fibroids, like othes in your family? This is a symptom of fibroids. It is also a symptom of adenomyosis, and other gyn. disorders. Have you asked your doctor? If you are not comfortable asking her, I'd say that means it's time to go doctor shopping.

Good luck!
Unread 05-08-2004, 04:51 PM
Hpv And Severe Dysplasia

Hello deegeorge,
I would asy it's time to at least look for another dr and possibly ask for a second opinion. I had ALL the things done that stella blue mentioned with my bad pap and was ok for a while. I eventually went on constant birth control to not have a cycle. After 12 ears and things going wrong one after the other I finnally had another bad pap and now I have a doc that listens to me and my complaints. All my problems combined have warranted a hysterectomy and I am more pleased to be getting it over with than any other thing I've faced in my life.Childbirth hurt like all heck buit I knew it was over eventually and this has been 10 yrs in the making.You shouldn't ahve to endure any kind of suffering at some one else's hand unless it has another reason for occuring. If your doc is just plain rotten to you I say happy searching!! Godd luck!!! Tonya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2004, 10:25 PM
results from cone

Hi Everyone... thanks everyone for writing me back. As for your questions about my cone biopsy... it came back fine and my doctor told me that she thinks that she got everything during surgery. She told me that she wanted to do the cone biopsy because my abnormal cells were to close to the margins to do anything else.

In the begining when I saw my doctor after my pap and 1st biopsy she told me that there was a very good chance that I would never get cervical cancer and that I could go 10 to 20 years if I did nothing and I could never have any problems without treatment. I was under the impression that it wasnt a big deal as did my husband who was there with me getting the results. Well to make a long story short.... I was still breastfeeding my 8 month old daughter and I decided that I wanted to wait until I weaned her at 12 months to have the cone done, so I called her and told her that I was going to wait and she then replied that In 4 months I might have cancer because my abnormal cells were almost to the margins in which would be concidered invasive cervical cancer.. So I was a little thrown off by what she had said to me at my result appt. I didnt know what to believe... should I believe it was no big deal like she made it seem or should I go ahead with what she told me this time.... I ended up going ahead with the surgury 1 week later. She has always been unsymathetic to my problems I guess. I guess shes made out of STEEL.... LOL or never had one herself. I have been getting the impression that she thinks Im making this pain thing up or something.. I dont know.

I have never been diagnosed with fibroids... I mentioned to her that I have been having clotting, cramping, etc. and she thinks it will go away because I just weaned my daughter. Whewwww.... I dont know what to think. I also have had sharp pains on my right side often about in the areas of where my overies would be and I told her that and she said it was probley just pms .... I have always had heavy periods and up until I was put on Yasmin I never had regular periods... before I was put on birth control I was having 2 to 4 periods a month. I would soooooo appriciate any advice anyone could give to me. I am so afraid of getting cancer and I dont really know If I am getting normal treatment from my doctor or if maybe I am being paranoid. Thanks again for caring.

dee
Unread 05-08-2004, 10:44 PM
Hpv And Severe Dysplasia

If it were me, I would find another DR. Ask around to friends for referrals, then once you are pleased with who you find have your medical records transferred.

Hang in there! You have valid reasons of concern and your Dr should be listening to you.

Debbie [withope]
Unread 05-09-2004, 05:56 PM
Hpv And Severe Dysplasia

(((Dee)))

I'm sorry that you are having these problems and concerns. You really do not sound totally comfortable with your physician, and if that's the case, it might be very appropriate to seek the opinion of another doctor.

Lots of women having heavy bleeding and cramping without any serious medical issues going on (yes, it can be a symptom of something, but it doesn't have to be). Every woman is different. But if it's a big enough problem, then you need to have a physician who will listen to you and take your concerns seriously.

It's hard to say why you had two different stories on the need for the cone. Some research does show that the majority of cases of CIN would not progress to cancer--it would either resolve or stay as is (1 in 7 would progress to cancer without treatment). But the thing is--you don't know if you personally are the 1 that progresses to cancer or if you are in the group of 6 that don't. And who wants to take that chance? And while cervical cancer is typically slow-growing, I've seen many cases where it just seemed to develop "overnight". So, I'm glad you had the cone.

As far as cone versus LEEP, well, every doctor seems to have their own preference on when to do each. The LEEP is considered to be less invasive and typically takes a smaller sample. So sometimes if clear margins are not achieved with a LEEP, then a cone is done. However, some docs start right off with a cone, or they may feel it is justified in certain situations. So, it's not atypical at all to have a cone without having had a LEEP.

Lots of things can cause ovarian pain. If you are having frequent pain in that area, you might like to ask if an ultrasound would be a good idea. Ovarian cysts are common (and can be painful), and actually, cysts are formed every month when preparing for ovulation and then the cyst resolves within a few days. Sometimes the cyst does not resolve and can cause ongoing pain.

Good luck, Dee! Let us know how things go for you!

Unread 05-10-2004, 12:20 AM
Hpv And Severe Dysplasia

hey jeanine.... thanks for all the info... I appriciate it... You know I heard about this website from my best friend who had a hysterectomy 2 years ago and I am so glad that I found you all. It has really made me feel so much better to get on here and log in and see someone cared enough to write some encourageing words.. thanks so much

dee
Unread 05-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Hpv And Severe Dysplasia

Hey Dee,

I think I would be looking for another DR. There are more out there that are very considerate of you as an individual and will consider your feelings. You have very legit concerns, and I wouldn't take them lightly.

Good luck in your search.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register