Nervous & things making me more nervous! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous & things making me more nervous! Nervous & things making me more nervous!

Unread 05-08-2004, 11:07 PM
Nervous & things making me more nervous!

I am having a hysterectomy on Tuesday. I've never been in a hospital or had any surgery (except for out-patient D&C 2 years ago, which went really well), and I'm terrible about needles & pain, so I'm very, very nervous.

Also - pre-surgery tests showed I'm so anemic that my doc thinks she may to a transfusion before the surgery. Oh yeah - more neeldes - lol! I feel like transfusions (in my mind), aren't for people who have been working full time, staying active, etc. Truth be told, I haven't been that active lately... lol.

And to top it off - I found a lump in my breast! Told them about it in pre-surg testing - we rushed to get a mammogram that afternoon and to get it read so that, if I need a biopsy, lumpectomy or whatever, it can be done same time as my hysterectomy. Radiologist said it looks benign, but I'm seeing a surgeon before hyst, just in case. (Family history makes me high risk - my mom had breast cancer.)

Also have embarrassing symptom - but no embarrassment at this site (thank you!!!) - when I have a bowel movement during a period, it is sometimes excrutiating and I am sometimes very constipated. Lately, I have diahrrheah (SP), I assume it's possibly due to being nervous about the surgery, but who knows? Anybody else have this? Did you find out what caused it? Did the hysterectomy help?

I am so nervous - would love to hear some encouraging words from some of you strong, wonderfully supportive women!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2004, 11:12 PM

Well, on the bowel front - If you read around different Post-Op message threads, you'll see that there are a lot of us who had Irritable Bowel symptoms prior to surgery that cleared up afterward.

The jury is still out for me, I'm only 3 wks post-op on Monday. But, I'm holding on to hope that my personal IBS symptoms will at least be less when the dust settles on this recovery time.

Yes, nervousness can affect your bowels. So can any recent changes in your diet. Hey, considering they WANT you to move em after surgery, better to be a little loose right before instead of all stopped up!
Unread 05-09-2004, 12:10 AM

Hi Halleboo,

When I went to hospital for my recent surgery I decided that I didnt have to be brave and so I told the nurses all my fears and concerns. They were so wonderful to me..very understanding, patient and supportive. Let them know about your bowel issues as they deal with this kind of thing each day and are used to it (I am an RN too).
It is likely that you may only have to have one needle for the anaesthetic as I did and mine wasn't that bad at all and the pain was so much less than what I expected even straight after the op. Have you talked with your doc about your pain control options post op? Perhaps asking as many questions as you can to inform yourself might make you feel better. The unknown is often way more terrifying than reality. Our imaginations can work to terrify us!
Goodluck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register