Sitting Too Much? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sitting Too Much? Sitting Too Much?

Unread 05-09-2004, 05:45 PM
Sitting Too Much?

Hi, I'm eleven days post-op (had a TAH), and I just started sitting up about three days ago. Before that, I was doing everything lying down, even eating meals (with the plate practically under my chin).

Since I've been able to sit up, I am now wondering how do I know how much sitting is too much?

I've been sitting up in bed typing on my laptop computer...maybe an hour at a time (for a few hours a day). It doesn't hurt my stomach, it just feels weird. Other than that, and to read, I'm not doing much more sitting, but rather lying down. And...I walk around the house a few times a day.

Am I overdoing the sitting, or am I doing okay? How am I supposed to know?

-Robin in CT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Sitting Too Much?

Hi,

Sitting is an activity which should be limited to short periods of time (20-30 minutes) during the first couple of weeks, as it puts a lot of pressure on your internal healing tissues. Try getting up and walking around after a short time, just to take the pressure off. Then lengthen the amount of time you sit, as you can tolerate it.

At four weeks, I was pretty much back to sitting for long lengths of time, though when I went back to work at 5 1/2 weeks, I had renewed discomfort from sitting in my office chair. Just listen to your body, it'll tell you where your limits are.

s,

Lisa
Unread 05-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Sitting Too Much?

I went back to work in my home office 11 days post op- I would need to remnd myself to get up and move! I did notice that I would have more sweeling if I sat too long and needed to lay down for about 1/2 hr a day to "stretch". I am back to all work duties now ( I travel between 2 states) and was told by dr to get out of the car and stretch if the ride is longer than 2 hrs- even after 6 weeks she is concerend with blood clots.
Listen to your body- it will tell you when it has had enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2004, 09:53 PM
Sitting Too Much?

I didn't think that sitting could cause any problems. Guess I will spend a little more time horizontal next week.
Thanks
Unread 05-09-2004, 10:16 PM
Sitting Too Much?

I also will spend more time horizontal this week! Thanks for the info!
Unread 05-10-2004, 08:55 AM
Sitting Too Much?

I never realized that sitting put a strain on your insides either...so, I am glad that I originated this question on the board! The things your doctor's never tell you about...geez, I get more educated from the hystersisters board than from the drs. office, lol.

Since, I'd been typing at the computer (using a laptop & sitting up in bed), maybe I'm sitting too much each day. So, starting today (day 12 post-op), I'm going to try to limit my time sitting up to 1/2 hour, maybe two or three times a day. That may be difficult, because I am getting so bored just watching t.v. and reading...the computer really helps that boredom, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right?

I should have bought some kind of craft project that I could do lying down, lol....like maybe some beads to make bracelets or necklaces, but I didn't do that before I went in for surgery.

Robin in CT
Unread 05-10-2004, 09:09 AM
Sitting Too Much?

Staying horizontal is going to be difficult I am finding. I had such high hopes this morning. Checked in earlier while I drankd my pot of coffee, had some breakfast, then laid down to read paper. Was able to stay down about 40 minutes. Maybe I will see if I can crotchet laying down. Laying down is boring if not asleep and I had too much coffee to sleep.
I am signing off for awhile and going to try to be horizontal again.
Unread 05-10-2004, 09:17 AM
doing to much?>?

the best thing I can suggest is that you listen to your body..it will tell you when your over doing it..take it easy there is no rush. unfortunatly we all heal differently and are not alike.
plenty of pillow support while sitting up and try easing yourself into the sitting position a little at a time.
good luck
hugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register