Severe pains from left ovary | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Severe pains from left ovary Severe pains from left ovary

Unread 05-09-2004, 07:58 PM
Severe pains from left ovary

Hi EVeryone...

I have had an interesting week... well 9 days. I had finally started to feel better since my Feb 4th surgery when a week ago last friday I suddenly started having quite bad pain from my left ovary. That is all I have left since the hysterectomy.

By Monday, the pain had become so bad that I decided I needed to call the doctor's office... the other reason for calling was that this was an entirely new pain for me. The doctor ordered an ultrasound which I had on TUesday. On Friday the nurse called and said that the U/S showed two complex cysts on my left ovary. They were each a little over 2 cm (she didn't give me the exact numbers... and at first I thought she said only one was complex).... so SMALL... but the pain was HUGE. The doctor was out of the office so she was going to show him the report on Monday and get back to me with the plan.

On Saturday, the pain became so bad I ended up in the hospital. They did another U/S and all the report said was "There is a small complex cyst on the left ovary" (NOT VERY USEFUL!!!) ... so the on-call Gyn thinks perhaps the other one ruptured causing the bad pain. But since no measurement was reported we had no idea if the remaining cyst had become bigger or smaller. The on-call Gyn prescribed BCPs and to follow-up with my Regular Gyn.

The Radiologist wrote that he thought it was an endometrioma but I think it actually might just be a hemmorhagic cyst.. since I have never had endo found on my ovaries and just had surgery.

The pain is still quite severe. It is amazing how something so little could be causing such excrutiating pain. I am really doped up as they gave me oxycontin, and IV Demerol and Torodal an the Castle. I have Demerol pain pills now... I have never taken those but hope they work without making me sick.

SOrry this is so long. Just wanted to "talk". I keep hoping that tomorrow things will be better.

Has anyone else had a little cyst cause really severe pain??

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2004, 05:20 AM

Hello Sarah,
The title on this thread caught my eye...I am having a similar problem, but not as severe. I am so sorry to hear about your pain. I get so frustrated with some of the "results" from tests, the unwillingness to tell us the details, and the almost flippant response to those results. I do know that the size of ovarian cysts does not always have as much to do with the pain or discomfort as the position. I had one on my right ovary years ago that was very large, but causing very little pain. My last really painful ones were on my left ovary and basically squeezing it in the middle to the point that it looked like an hourglass. I was very confused with my doctor when we discussed my ovaries staying before my surgery. I reminded him several times about my previous problems with cysts and the ongoing pain in my left ovary. He assured me that he would only leave them if they looked good when he went in. I reminded him of all my ovarian concerns the very day before my surgery. He left them both, and I am in constant pain in the area of my left ovary. My husband is pushing me to call the doctor, but this one is going to wait until I can't stand it anymore. I am only 7+ weeks post op and am unwilling to undergo another recovery right now...and there is to be no BC!!!!! I can't believe I am having to consider all these options still after all that has gone before now.
Be sure and stay in touch with us concerning how things are going for you. I will be thinking of you, and looking for updates on you condition! I wish you all the best.
s
Leslie
Unread 05-10-2004, 07:59 AM
((((((((((Sarah))))))))))

I am so sorry to hear that you are in pain I know from reading your posts that you have been through so much. I hope and pray that you get some relief from the meds.

I have had many different kinds of cysts over the years. Before I had the hyst., I had many pop. Leading up to that, I would have extreme pain (spotting) and end up in the ER (once they ruptured).

I believe that I am still dealing with some type of cyst(s) as I have experienced that same type of pain. The docs have done many tests, and 'suspicious' areas were reported. They were unable to determine what it was...And usually when I went for a follow - up...U/S the mass would be gone. I believe that it/they could have been cyst(s) as I had that 'take your breath away' kind of pain, and then it would be gone (back to the old deep ache/pain that I deal with daily). I have gone through this a few times. I have been taking a low dose progesterone (been on it for a couple of months) and I haven't noticed a decrease in pain yet...But am hopeful that it will help.

I guess the next step for me is another surgery (with my new and improved Gyn). I have been nervous about this due to the nerve damage...as well as the fact that my fear increases every time I go under...We'll see...

Sorry to go on and on here ((((Sarah)))) I wish I had some words of wisdom to share with you. I hope and pray the BCP's help you. Please let us know how you are doing...and know that your sisters are here for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2004, 08:34 AM

Hey, Sarah,

I am really sorry to hear that you have been going through this. Just wanted to send a and add my two cents as to a possibility of what might be going on.

My left ovary is also a problem ...every 6 weeks for a few days at a time. (why 6, who knows). Anyhow, at the last lap they found that scar tissue had adhered my ovary to the pelvic side wall and my gyn said that was more than enough to explain the pain around ovulation. I assume the scar tissue is coming back, based on my pattern of symptoms.

As you know, scar tissue would not have shown up on your U/S and might be complicating ovulation for you. I truly hope that is not the case. Just something to consider.

I hope the pain subsides and you get a clear diagnosis soon so that you can be on the way to resolving the problem.
Unread 05-10-2004, 08:42 AM

A question in response to your post, Michelle. Is there a "norm" in terms of time post op that this would begin to form to the extent you are unfortunately experiencing? I am not quite 8 weeks postop, and assumed that it was too soon for that to be the cause of my pain. Also, having had this reoccuring issue with the left ovary, I thought it must be a cyst.
I guess I thought more in longer terms for scar tissue to be forming to that degree. You are both much more past your surgeries than I am.
Thanks,
Leslie
Unread 05-10-2004, 09:54 AM

Hi ((Leslie))

It was my understanding that adhesions can start forming right after surgery as part of the healing process. They also can form when there is other trauma of inflammation in the area, ie. as with endometriosis, and infection, or internal bleeding. Over time scar tissue tends to "shrink" so that is why the pain may be delayed from the initial formation... it may take months or years before it has tightened up to the point where it is causing trouble.

I was wondering if perhaps my left ovary was attached to something and maybe that is why two small cysts were wreaking so much havoc... I guess time will tell. The other comment that the doctor made was that the cyst is likely leaking small quantities of blood into the pelvic cavity and that is very irritating. Your point about the location is probably right on too...

In the past I have not had too much trouble with cysts. I had some at my last surgery but they were only causing a vague aching pain in the area. This is an intense burning that periodically is throbbing and at other times sharp and stabbing. I do have the sensation that there is something in there as the pain changes when I bend over or move as if the painful spot was rubbing on something....

I had problems with my right ovary from pelvic congestion in the right ovarian vein... maybe the left is getting some of that too... That is apparently a very common cause of ovarian pain when no cysts are found... and it produces cyclical pain as well. Hopefully the BCPs will calm everything down.

It is better today. ((Leslie)) I hope that your pain diminishes with time... I am sorry you are still having problems with your ovaries.

Sarah
Unread 05-10-2004, 09:59 AM

Dear ((Judester)) and ((Michelle))

Thanks for the emotional support... and sharing your stories. I hope the BCPs work too... I hope the remaining one shrinks instead of rupturing as that feels awful. It is one of the worst pains I have had if that is indeed what happened to me.

I think it is feeling better today... still tender but not so RAW. but then I haven't been moving around much and I have noticed it gets much worse when I move alot (like doing laundry). I hope the worst is over as I have alot to catch up on after not doing much for a week!!!!

I'll let you know if anything changes. THanks again for listening!!

Sarah
Unread 05-10-2004, 11:00 AM

I am so sorry to hear about your pain so soon after surgery. I wanted to let you know that several years ago I had surgery (laparotomy) to remove my rt tube and ovary. I had NEVER had a problem with the left ovary up to this point. Well, about 7 weeks post op I started having horrible pain in the left ovary, which showed a hemmoragic cyst. The pain just would not let up and the doc finally went in at about 8 weeks post op and did a laparoscopy to discover my ovary had become trapped in some adhesions and that was what was causing the horrendous pain. Adhesions begin forming hours after surgery, so this may be the case for you. Some adhesions may be around the ovary and that can cause any kind of cyst to be very painful.

I hope you find some relief soon!

Hugs,
Becky
Unread 05-10-2004, 11:29 AM

Dear ((Becky))

While I am sorry that you had to go through something so painful... it is a relief to hear a similiar story and know that I am not NUTS!!! Thank you for sharing your experience.

I am hoping to avoid another surgery but if it doesn't let up it may be in the future .

Did the doctor have to take out your left ovary during the second operation or was he able to just clean things up? I suspect that the complex cyst they see on the ultrasound is a hemmorhagic cyst in my case too.

Sarah
Unread 05-10-2004, 12:41 PM

Hi Sarah, and big big 's to you

I'm so sorry that you're going through such horrible pain. It's so discouraging to go through so many surgeries and still have such severe problems. You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

I had an endometrioma that was 2.5cm rupture and it was VERY SEVERE pain. I too ended up at the hospital at the time. The pain diminished after a few days, and went back to just normal pain levels.

I hope you start to feel better soon.

Shelley

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register